Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SOLVED] Capturing output in a korn variable Post 302641001 by daurin on Tuesday 15th of May 2012 02:41:13 PM
Old 05-15-2012
Wow, you're fast. Perfect. Thanks again!

---------- Post updated at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:59 PM ----------

Hold the phone. That worked brilliantly on the command line (in ksh of course), but in my script, it behaved differently. Here are the important bits:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
output=$(lonlat2pixline -x 2 -y 2 $afile $lon $lat | awk -F= '{print $2}')
        set -A outarr -- $output
echo $output
echo $outarr
        sline=${outarr[2]}
echo ${outarr[2]}
echo $sline

...which comes up with:
Code:

$

That's two blank lines at the end where the array elements should be. So outarr is still a single element variable.

When I run the lines on the ksh command line, I get:
Code:
$ output=$(lonlat2pixline -x 2 -y 2 $afile $lon $lat | awk -F= '{print $2}')
$ set -A outarr -- $output
$ echo $output
-159.814606 24.181808 474 478 342 346
$ echo $outarr
$ sline=${outarr[2]}      
$ eline=${outarr[3]}
$ spixl=${outarr[4]}
$ epixl=${outarr[5]}
$ echo "l2extract $afile $spixl $epixl $sline $eline 1 1 ${afile}_SUB"
l2extract /data/Imagery/GLOBAL/modisa/L2/A2003061001000.L2_LAC_OC 342 346 474 478 1 1 /data/Imagery/GLOBAL/modisa/L2/A2003061001000.L2_LAC_OC_SUB

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Code tags for code, please.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing new lines when capturing output to variable

Explain this? $ ls | grep -e "crd\|cs" crd cs $ CLONES=`ls | grep -e "crd\|cs"`;echo $CLONES; crd cs $ CLONES=`ls | grep -e "crd\|cs"`;echo "$CLONES"; crd cs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blasto333
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output from top and format output

Hi all, I'd like to capture the output from the 'top' command to monitor my CPU and Mem utilisation.Currently my command isecho date `top -b -n1 | grep -e Cpu -e Mem` I get the output in 3 separate lines.Tue Feb 24 15:00:03 Cpu(s): 3.4% us, 8.5% sy .. .. Mem: 1011480k total, 226928k used, ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Output in bash script not captured in variable

I'm tring to write down a simple script that would execute a command and wait until it returns a specific result. This is what i did: bjobs_out=`bjobs` while ]; do bjobs_out=`bjobs` sleep 6 done It seems to work until the command 'jobs' return the list of jobs in execution, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifedj
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solved: how to save an output to a variable

i want to save the output of /scripts/whoowns domain.com to a username like $user = /scripts/whoowns domain.com but I'm not sure how to do that This is inside a bash script how can I get the output of /scripts/whoowns then save that to a variable? thanks! ---------- Post updated at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]Korn, disabling * substitution

If I execute the following line of code: echo "*" I get a list of files in the current directory. What if all I wanted to do was display the asterisk itself? What does the code have to look like so all I get is an asterisk? Thanks ahead of time for your assistance ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wreckoning
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Output?

Hello All, I'm writing a Bash Script and in it I execute a piped command within a Function I wrote and I can't seem to redirect the stderr from the 1st pipe to stdout..? I'm setting the output to an Array "COMMAND_OUTPUT" and splitting on newlines using this --> "( $(...) )". By putting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Issue with using for loop as for in {2..6} in korn shell

Hi i have to cut columns 2 to 6 from a file and assign it to arrays , The following code works for ctcol in 2 3 4 5 6; do set -A a$ctcol $(cut -d, -f $ctcol test_file) done how ever this does not work for ctcol in {2..6}; do set -A a$ctcol $(cut -d, -f $ctcol test_file)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Korn Shell execution

There are two Korn Shell scripts : script_1.ksh ( located in /home/dir1 ) script_2.ksh ( located in /home/dir2 ) Content of script_2.ksh is #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "Hello world.." The script_2.ksh is called from within script_1.ksh using the following command : ./home/dir2/script_2.ksh but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
7 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)