Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SOLVED] Capturing output in a korn variable Post 302641001 by daurin on Tuesday 15th of May 2012 02:41:13 PM
Old 05-15-2012
Wow, you're fast. Perfect. Thanks again!

---------- Post updated at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:59 PM ----------

Hold the phone. That worked brilliantly on the command line (in ksh of course), but in my script, it behaved differently. Here are the important bits:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
output=$(lonlat2pixline -x 2 -y 2 $afile $lon $lat | awk -F= '{print $2}')
        set -A outarr -- $output
echo $output
echo $outarr
        sline=${outarr[2]}
echo ${outarr[2]}
echo $sline

...which comes up with:
Code:

$

That's two blank lines at the end where the array elements should be. So outarr is still a single element variable.

When I run the lines on the ksh command line, I get:
Code:
$ output=$(lonlat2pixline -x 2 -y 2 $afile $lon $lat | awk -F= '{print $2}')
$ set -A outarr -- $output
$ echo $output
-159.814606 24.181808 474 478 342 346
$ echo $outarr
$ sline=${outarr[2]}      
$ eline=${outarr[3]}
$ spixl=${outarr[4]}
$ epixl=${outarr[5]}
$ echo "l2extract $afile $spixl $epixl $sline $eline 1 1 ${afile}_SUB"
l2extract /data/Imagery/GLOBAL/modisa/L2/A2003061001000.L2_LAC_OC 342 346 474 478 1 1 /data/Imagery/GLOBAL/modisa/L2/A2003061001000.L2_LAC_OC_SUB

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Code tags for code, please.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing new lines when capturing output to variable

Explain this? $ ls | grep -e "crd\|cs" crd cs $ CLONES=`ls | grep -e "crd\|cs"`;echo $CLONES; crd cs $ CLONES=`ls | grep -e "crd\|cs"`;echo "$CLONES"; crd cs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blasto333
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output from top and format output

Hi all, I'd like to capture the output from the 'top' command to monitor my CPU and Mem utilisation.Currently my command isecho date `top -b -n1 | grep -e Cpu -e Mem` I get the output in 3 separate lines.Tue Feb 24 15:00:03 Cpu(s): 3.4% us, 8.5% sy .. .. Mem: 1011480k total, 226928k used, ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Output in bash script not captured in variable

I'm tring to write down a simple script that would execute a command and wait until it returns a specific result. This is what i did: bjobs_out=`bjobs` while ]; do bjobs_out=`bjobs` sleep 6 done It seems to work until the command 'jobs' return the list of jobs in execution, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifedj
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solved: how to save an output to a variable

i want to save the output of /scripts/whoowns domain.com to a username like $user = /scripts/whoowns domain.com but I'm not sure how to do that This is inside a bash script how can I get the output of /scripts/whoowns then save that to a variable? thanks! ---------- Post updated at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]Korn, disabling * substitution

If I execute the following line of code: echo "*" I get a list of files in the current directory. What if all I wanted to do was display the asterisk itself? What does the code have to look like so all I get is an asterisk? Thanks ahead of time for your assistance ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wreckoning
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Output?

Hello All, I'm writing a Bash Script and in it I execute a piped command within a Function I wrote and I can't seem to redirect the stderr from the 1st pipe to stdout..? I'm setting the output to an Array "COMMAND_OUTPUT" and splitting on newlines using this --> "( $(...) )". By putting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Issue with using for loop as for in {2..6} in korn shell

Hi i have to cut columns 2 to 6 from a file and assign it to arrays , The following code works for ctcol in 2 3 4 5 6; do set -A a$ctcol $(cut -d, -f $ctcol test_file) done how ever this does not work for ctcol in {2..6}; do set -A a$ctcol $(cut -d, -f $ctcol test_file)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Korn Shell execution

There are two Korn Shell scripts : script_1.ksh ( located in /home/dir1 ) script_2.ksh ( located in /home/dir2 ) Content of script_2.ksh is #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "Hello world.." The script_2.ksh is called from within script_1.ksh using the following command : ./home/dir2/script_2.ksh but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
7 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-x] [-o omitpid] [-o omitpid..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. NOTES
pidof is simply a (symbolic) link to the killall5 program, which should also be located in /sbin. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)