Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with Permission Denied on script with sed Post 302639281 by Corona688 on Friday 11th of May 2012 12:38:03 PM
Old 05-11-2012
You are putting $f in ` ` backticks.

This attempts to execute the HTML file, as if it were a script. Since it's not set executable, it gives you permission denied. Use double quotes " " instead of backticks.

You are also putting your regex in backticks. This attempts to execute it, and will complain 'no such file or directory'. Put it in single quotes ' '.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission denied??

i'm trying to set up my internet connection and i was told i need to edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets but i get a permission denied message...why?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied

Hi, I can not execute a .env file $ . /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env -bash: /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env: Permission denied Even if : -rwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 2903 Mar 5 2007 /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env Please help. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing expect script giving message as bad interpreter: Permission denied

Hi Gurus, I am new to scripting and needs your help in expect script used for telnet. I wrote a simple script as #!/usr/bin/expect-5.43 -f spawn telnet localhost 2233 expect "password:" send "secret\r" send "i data.cnbc.com\r" send "exit\r" expect eof When I am trying to execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niks_yv
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script and Permission denied

Have the following in a .sh file. printf "Installing ... \ r" cd $ ORG_DIR / a_a . / configure> error.log Make 1> error.log 2> error.log make install> error.log But when I run I get the following. install.sh: line 270:. / configure: Permission denied make: *** No rule two make target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mumie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied

I created a user so that when he logs in he will be directed to a menu /etc/passwd user1:x:115:1:Support -SysAd:/export/home/user1:/export/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh However when I logged in remotely from another server by ssh user1@1.1.1.1 , it saysexport/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to create a script to run as root, permission denied

Hello all, I am trying to create a script or a .command file that will run for me and my other techs on many, many Mac OSX computers that will add a file to the /etc/ folder called /etc/launchd.conf Every time I try to run the script, I get "Permission Denied" when trying to put the file into... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DonnieNarco
13 Replies

8. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied running shell script in opensuse

Hello, I am having an odd problem in open suse 12. I have a shell script and when I try to run it, I get "permission denied" The permissions from ls -l are, -rw------- 1 user1 users 25904 Jan 10 16:26 script.sh I have tried to change the permissions in dolphin but this does not change the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
ESCAPESHELLARG(3)							 1							 ESCAPESHELLARG(3)

escapeshellarg - Escape a string to be used as a shell argument

SYNOPSIS
string escapeshellarg (string $arg) DESCRIPTION
escapeshellarg(3) adds single quotes around a string and quotes/escapes any existing single quotes allowing you to pass a string directly to a shell function and having it be treated as a single safe argument. This function should be used to escape individual arguments to shell functions coming from user input. The shell functions include exec(3), system(3) and the backtick operator. On Windows, escapeshellarg(3) instead removes percent signs, replaces double quotes with spaces and adds double quotes around the string. PARAMETERS
o $arg - The argument that will be escaped. RETURN VALUES
The escaped string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 escapeshellarg(3) example <?php system('ls '.escapeshellarg($dir)); ?> SEE ALSO
escapeshellcmd(3), exec(3), popen(3), system(3), backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group ESCAPESHELLARG(3)