Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Renaming the filename
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming the filename Post 302637737 by nrjrasaxena on Wednesday 9th of May 2012 08:32:00 AM
Old 05-09-2012
Renaming the filename

Hi,
I have several files with name
Code:
b1.root, b2.root b3.root

I want to rename the "b" to "bkg", so finally is should be:
Code:
bkg1.root bkg2.root bkg3.root

I used command:
Code:
rename s/b/bsig/ b*root

Somehow it is working at some place and not working in other folder. I do not have any idea why this would be the case.

I even found a shell script:
Code:
for filename in *.txt
do
   echo $filename;
   w_o_ext=`basename $filename .txt`;
   echo $w_o_ext;
   mv $filename $w_o_ext.psql;
done

I want to modify this to serve my purpose.

Kindly reply

Many Thanks
Pooja

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags also for log/data samples please.

Last edited by zaxxon; 05-09-2012 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: more code tags and indention

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files to have date/time in filename

I have a program that will export my data to a single file, but it assigns a file name that is overridden every time I run the program. I need to change the file name to have a sequential number in the filename. How do I rename a file so that the filename contains the system date and time. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayneb
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming a compressed file to filename without .Z

In a shell script I would like to use a compressed file name, i.e. with suffix of .Z, as a file input $1. After the file in uncompressed, I would like to use the file name without the .Z . How do I do this? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruceps
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzcat into awk and then change FILENAME and process new FILENAME

I am trying to write a script that prompts users for date and time, then process the gzip file into awk. During the ksh part of the script another file is created and needs to be processed with a different set of pattern matches then I need to combine the two in the end. I'm stuck at the part... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename from splitting files to have the same filename of the original file with counter value

Hi all, I have a list of xml file. I need to split the files to a different files when see the <ko> tag. The list of filename are B20090908.1100-20090908.1200_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1200-20090908.1300_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1300-20090908.1400_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Batch renaming insert additional zero into filename

Hi all, Wondering how this could be accomplished........ a directory contains sequentially numbered files from fw01 to fw999. How would I insert an additional zero so that the directory lists these files in a proper manner? (i.e. all double digit files from fw01 to fw99 would become... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: putter1900
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to extract all the part of the filename before a particular word in the filename

Hi All, Thanks in Advance I am working on a shell script. I need some assistance. My Requirement: 1) There are some set of files in a directory like given below OTP_UFSC_20120530000000_acc.csv OTP_UFSC_20120530000000_faf.csv OTP_UFSC_20120530000000_prom.csv... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aealexanderraj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a filename

Hi friends , i want to change the filename as below filename=ABC_HYND_JDHD_20130125120345.txt expected output : ABC_HYND_JDHD_20130125.txt i have tried using awk but not able to procedd futher. i am trying to do the above in single commad. echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file that has multiple numbers as filename

Hi I have a file with filename as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798" Now i need to move this file as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798_org" i tried with # ls | grep -E "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.+"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files at once (discarding suffix of the filename after a character)

Hi, I have a lot of files similar to the below order. I want to rename all the files .discrading the time stamp/numbers after cnf. Existing files id_info_20130405.cnf_20130801 in_info_20130405.cnf_20130891 iz_info_20130405.cnf_20130821 in_info_20130405.cnf_20130818... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming files by appending string from within file to filename

Greetings. I am working in a Linux environment and am trying to figure out a way to rename files in a directory by appending a unique strings that appears within a certain area in those files. I have gotten as far as identifying what that particular unique string is with a command like the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
10 Replies
chroot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 chroot(8)

NAME
chroot - Changes the root directory of a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot directory command DESCRIPTION
Only root can use the chroot command. The chroot command changes the root directory from / to the specified directory when the command executes. (The command specified includes both the command name as well as any arguments.) Consequently, the root of any path (as indicated by the first / (slash) in the pathname) changes to directory and is always relative to the current root. Even if the chroot command is in effect, directory is relative to the current root of the running process. Several programs may not operate properly after chroot executes. You must ensure that all vital files are present in the new root file system and the relevant pathnames for the files map correctly in the new root file system. For example, the ls -l command fails to give user and group names if the new root file system does not have a copy of the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. If the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files in the new root file system represent different user and group names, then the output from the ls -l command will be based on those names, not the ones for the system's own name database. Utilities that depend on description files produced by the ctab command may also fail if the required description files are not present in the new root file system. The chroot program uses the execv() function to invoke the specified command. As a consequence, the command specified must be an exe- cutable binary, not a shell script. Further, if the program requires indirect loading (for example, due to unresolved symbols requiring use of a shared library), then /sbin/loader as well as any files it requires (for example, shared libraries) must be present in the new root file system in the appropriate locations. EXAMPLES
To run a subshell with another file system as the root, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /sbin/sh The command shown in the previous example spec- ifies a change from the current root file system to the one mounted on /mnt/dsk13a while /sbin/sh (which itself is relative to the new root file system) executes. When /bin/sh executes, the original root file system is inaccessible. The file system mounted on /mnt/dsk13a must contain the standard directories of a root file system. In particular, the shell looks for commands in /sbin, /bin, and /usr/bin (among others) on the new root file system. Running the /sbin/sh command creates a subshell that runs as a separate process from the original shell. Press to exit the subshell and return to the original shell. This restores the environment of the original shell, including the meanings of the current directory (.) and the root directory (/). To run a command in another root file system and save the output on the initial root file system, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /bin/cc -E /u/bob/prog.c > prep.out The previous command runs the /bin/cc command with /mnt/dsk13a as the specified root file system. It compiles the /mnt/dsk13a/u/bob/prog.c file, reads the #include files from the /mnt/dsk13a/usr/include directory, and puts the compiled text in the prep.out file on the initial root file system. To create a file relative to the original root rather than the new one, use this syntax and enter: chroot directory command > file CAUTIONS
If special files in the new root have different major and minor device numbers than the initial root directory, it is possible to overwrite the file system. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cc(1), cpp(1), ls(1), sh(1) Functions: chdir(2), chroot(2) exec(2) delim off chroot(8)