Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed -Replacing file path within .txt file Post 302636665 by carlr on Monday 7th of May 2012 08:40:37 PM
Old 05-07-2012
sed -Replacing file path within .txt file

Hi,

I am trying to use sed to replace a file path within all the .lay (.txt) files in a folder. I feel that this should be easy but I can't get it to work no matter what i try.

I'm using cygwin.

For a .txt file containing the below line I want to replace this file path with a new one.
Code:
$!VarSet |LFDSFN1| = '"E:\OLD\FILE\PATH TO DATA\data.txt"

Below is what i think should work.
Code:
old_file_path="E:\OLD\FILE\PATH TO DATA\data.txt"
new_file_path="E:\new\file\path"

sed -e 's|$old_file_path|$new_file_path|g' *.lay

I've tried placing the variables inside the command, defining the input and output files. I've changed the delimeter to |, as using back or forward slashes is problematic with file names. I have tried other methods on fouums, but can't get anything to work.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 05-07-2012 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to print a value from txt file

Hello guys, I would appreciate if someone can help me to write a shell script using sed. From a larget text file I need to print a fixed value of a word. In another words whenever it finds that word, it needs to grab the other line containing "dn" and prints its value. For example: dn:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary txt file received when i use uuencode to send txt file as attachment

Hi, I have already read a lot of posts on sending attachments in unix...but none of them were of help for my problem...so here goes.. i wanna attach a text file and send to a mail id..used the following code : uuencode "$File1" "$File1" ;|mail -s "$Mail_sub" abc@abc.com it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash22
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input file redirect in output path and want name as inputfilename_new.txt

not required this time (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove last 2 characters of txt file

sed 's/^..//' file1.txt > file2.txt this will remove the first two characters of each line of a text file, what sed command will remove the last two characters? This is a similar post to my other....sry if I'm being lazy.... I need a file like this (same as last post) >cat file1.txt 10081551... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem writing file path to txt file

if test -z "$1" then echo "you must give a filename or filepath" else path=`dirname $1` f_name =`basename $1` if path="." then path=`pwd` fi fi cat $f_name $path >> index.txt The only problem I am encountering with this is writing $path to index.txt Keeps going gaga: cat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vintage_hegoog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED and replacing Txt Bullet

Hi Guys, I'm sure that there is simple solution .. I googled .. it and nothing is coming up ... ( I Tried it as hex 0xE2 no luck ) sed -e 's/•/X/g' data.txt > data1.txt I'm trying to replace bullet with X Actually VI editor shows this sign: ¥ But it doesn't work - I'm sure that SED... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NDxiak
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command for copying the contents of other file replacing it another file on specifc pattern

We have 2 file XML files - FILE1.XML and FILE2.xml - we need copy the contents of FILE1.XML and replace in FILE2.xml pattern "<assignedAttributeList></assignedAttributeList>" FILE1.XML 1. <itemList> 2. <item type="Manufactured"> 3. <resourceCode>431048</resourceCode> 4. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balrajg
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a line in a file using sed

I have a file which has a list in it pop triangle people slow fast What I want to do is search this list and replace people with humans do the list looks like this: pop triangle human slow fast I think i use something like this.... if cat /list.txt | grep -q 'people' ; then (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Commands needed for replacing variable number of spaces with a single , in a txt file

Hi I want to read a text file and replace various number of spaces between each string in to a single "," or any other character .Please let me know the command to do so. My input file is a txt file which is the output of a SQL table extract so it contains so many spaces between each column of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari Prasanth
2 Replies
PHAR.EXTRACTTO(3)							 1							 PHAR.EXTRACTTO(3)

Phar::extractTo - Extract the contents of a phar archive to a directory

SYNOPSIS
public bool Phar::extractTo (string $pathto, [string|array $files], [bool $overwrite = false]) DESCRIPTION
Note This method requires the php.ini setting phar.readonly to be set to 0 in order to work for Phar objects. Otherwise, a PharException will be thrown. Extract all files within a phar archive to disk. Extracted files and directories preserve permissions as stored in the archive. The optional parameters allow optional control over which files are extracted, and whether existing files on disk can be overwritten. The sec- ond parameter files can be either the name of a file or directory to extract, or an array of names of files and directories to extract. By default, this method will not overwrite existing files, the third parameter can be set to true to enable overwriting of files. This method is similar to ZipArchive.extractTo(3). PARAMETERS
o $pathto - Path within an archive to the file to delete. o $files - The name of a file or directory to extract, or an array of files/directories to extract o $overwrite - Set to TRUE to enable overwriting existing files RETURN VALUES
returns TRUE on success, but it is better to check for thrown exception, and assume success if none is thrown. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Throws PharException if errors occur while flushing changes to disk. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A Phar.extractTo(3) example <?php try { $phar = new Phar('myphar.phar'); $phar->extractTo('/full/path'); // extract all files $phar->extractTo('/another/path', 'file.txt'); // extract only file.txt $phar->extractTo('/this/path', array('file1.txt', 'file2.txt')); // extract 2 files only $phar->extractTo('/third/path', null, true); // extract all files, and overwrite } catch (Exception $e) { // handle errors } ?> SEE ALSO
PharData.extractTo(3). PHP Documentation Group PHAR.EXTRACTTO(3)