Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How does a shell script recognize the end of a line? Post 302635819 by neelmani on Sunday 6th of May 2012 10:56:17 AM
Old 05-06-2012
How does a shell script recognize the end of a line?

Hi friends ,
I want to know how does a shell script recognize the end of a line? . i have hunddres of proccedure to test where i want to ingnore the comments which starts with "--" .. it can start from the middle of the lines also. for example::

Code:
select * from table1; -- getting all columns of a table1

--inserting in table2

insert into table1 as .... so on

so in the above example i have to ignore the comment like : "-- getting all columns of a table1" and "
--inserting in table2
" and so on

The problem is that, in my shell scripting, i am reading word by word from a file. so i can recognize from the first two character of a word (i.e "--" here)
whether it a commnet not. but how would i come to know the the end of a line so that i will stop ignoring the commnet.
for example:

Code:
cat $loopfiles | tr -s " " "\n" | while read curr_str 
do
{

cmt_str=`echo "$curr_str" | awk '{ printf "%s\n", substr($1,1,2) }'` 
cmt="--"
if [[ $cmt_str = $cmt ]]
then
cflag=1                       ## ignore till cflag is 1
fi

if [[ $curr_str = "\n" ]]
then
cflag=0                        ## stop ignoring 
fi

----------------------------------------but my shell scripting is not able to recognize the "\n" character"

please helppppppppppppppppppppppp ..

thanks a ton in advance Smilie

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-06-2012 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script cant recognize if else compare

hi I face the problem the if else statement dint return correct result for me my script as below: #!/bin/ksh sqlplus -s /nolog <<EOF connect databaseuser/password column num new_value num format 9999 set head off select count(*) num from table1; exit num EOF if ; then echo "$?"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaseloh
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

End of Line in Shell Scripting

I have a file containing records seperated by delimiter '|'.A record is contained on 2 or 3 lines. Now I need a shell script which could write all records with in two '|' character in one line.....for example..... |R1........................R1 R1..........................R1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 33junaid
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a line at the end of a file using shell scripting

Hi All , I am new to shell scripting. i have a shell script(which is executed as a super user) , i want to it to do one more job for me. ie mounting a directory over other using lofs . i have done it manually using 1) using mount command mount -F lofs /export/home/dju /dju 2)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet123321
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on shell script : syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected

Hi All, I have written a korn script (code pasted below). It is giving the error while debugging "new.sh: syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected". I have re-written the whole code in VI and explored all help related to this error on this Unix forum and tried it. Somehow, I could... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script: moving end of line character

Hello. I have a file (old.txt) that I need to copy into another file (new.txt). Each line on old.txt ends with CR/LF but the position of CR/LF varies from one record to another. I need to copy each line of record to new.txt and move CR/LF in pos 165. Can I use awk to achieve this? How?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sybase shell line 19: unexpected end of file

Hi, As i am new to this forum i dont really know where to place this doubt i am facing ,Please consider this In this code i am connecting two time to two different server / database and getting the .sql file where am i going wrong please guide..... me. thanks a lot if ; then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle_coorgi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with shell script to append to the end of a specific line in a file on multiple servers

Hi Folks, I was given a task to append three IP's at the end of a specific (and unique) line within a file on multiple servers. I was not able to do that with the help of a script. All I could was: for i in server1 server2 server3 server4 do ssh $i done I know 'sed' could be used to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

my shell now adds extra space at end of each line!

Hi, Since today, with csh or tcsh, if I do 'ls files* > list', every lines end with an extra space! What happenned? What can I do to go back when there was no extra space? If I change to bash, there's no extra space. Thanks, Patrick ---------- Post updated at 03:19 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trogne
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check line end not ending with comma

I have several line in a text file. for example I like apple; I like apple I like orange; Output: I like apple I try to useif grep -q "!\;$"; then (Not work) Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments (as required by forum rules). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmdcmd
1 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD