Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search & merg data from 3 files Post 302635775 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 6th of May 2012 07:48:41 AM
Old 05-06-2012
I had changed depth to mag in the mean time (col 6 instead of col 5) plus an extra if the line is empty which should get rid of the empty lines..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-06-2012 at 09:42 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merg files

i have: file1 contains: 123abc file2 contains: 123 abc i used: paste file1 file2 > file3, and the output looks like this: 123abc 123 abc i used: cat file3 | awk '{print $1, $2}' > file4, result: 123abc 123 my intention is to get file looks like this: 123abc123 abc when i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with complex merg of files with common field

Please help, I am new to shell Programming. I have three files each containg a unique text (key) field (e.g. ABCDEF, XCDUD as shown below), line return followed by some data of which there can be more then one instance. In addition, in some cases there may be no data but only a key field. Please... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
18 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for & edit rows & columns in data file and pipe

Dear unix gurus, I have a data file with header information about a subject and also 3 columns of n rows of data on various items he owns. The data file looks something like this: adam peter blah blah blah blah blah blah car 01 30 200 02 31 400 03 57 121 .. .. .. .. .. .. n y... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search & compare paragraphs between two files

Hello Guys, Greetings to All. I am stuck in my work here today while trying to comapre paragraphs between two files, I need your help on urgent basis, without your inputs I can not proceed. Kindly find some time to answer my question, I'll be grateful to you for ever. My detailed issue is as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace in Multiple Files by reading a input file

Hi, I have a folder which contains multiple config.xml files and one input file, Please see the below format. Config Files format looks like :- Code: <application name="SAMPLE-ARCHIVE"> <NVPairs name="Global Variables"> <NameValuePair> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference of two data files & writing to an outfile.

Hi Everyone, I have two files i.e. one file2 contains today's data and the other file1 contains Yesterday's data. The data in the files contains 226 columns and the data for the coulums separated by a Pipe "|" delimiter. Now, I have 4 Primary keys (coulumns) by which I have to compare file2 and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed to search & replace data in first column

Hi All, I need help in manipulating the data in first column in a file. The sample data looks like below, Mon Jul 18 00:32:52 EDT 2011,NULL,UAT Jul 19 2011,NULL,UAT 1] All field in the file are separated by "," 2] File is having weekly data extracted from database 3] For eg.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search for a character in files in a Directory & remove it

Hi All, Am new to both Unix & this Forum - Need some help on a script that I am trying to write: In a Directory i have few text files which might or might not contain some text that I am trying to find. Once that text is found in any of the files, it needs to be removed from the file ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rituparna_gupta
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace content of files using gsub in awk

Hi,I have 2 files master.txt & reference.txt as shown below & i require o/p as mentioned in file 3 using awk but content is not replacing properlymaster.txt:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace in Multiple Files by reading a input file

I have a environment property file which contains: Input file: value1 = url1 value2 = url2 value3 = url3 and so on. I need to search all *.xml files under directory for value1 and replace it with url1. Same thing I have to do for all values mentioned in input file. I need script in unix bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shamkamde
7 Replies
col(1)								   User Commands							    col(1)

NAME
col - reverse line-feeds filter SYNOPSIS
col [-bfpx] DESCRIPTION
The col utility reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output. It performs the line overlays implied by reverse line- feeds, and by forward and reverse half-line-feeds. Unless -x is used, all blank characters in the input will be converted to tab characters wherever possible. col is particularly useful for filtering multi-column output made with the .rt command of nroff(1) and output resulting from use of the tbl(1) preprocessor. The ASCII control characters SO and SI are assumed by col to start and end text in an alternative character set. The character set to which each input character belongs is remembered, and on output SI and SO characters are generated as appropriate to ensure that each character is written in the correct character set. On input, the only control characters accepted are space, backspace, tab, carriage-return and newline characters, SI, SO, VT, reverse line- feed, forward half-line-feed and reverse half-line-feed. The VT character is an alternative form of full reverse line-feed, included for compatibility with some earlier programs of this type. The only other characters to be copied to the output are those that are printable. The ASCII codes for the control functions and line-motion sequences mentioned above are as given in the table below. ESC stands for the ASCII escape character, with the octal code 033; ESC- means a sequence of two characters, ESC followed by the character x. reverse line-feed ESC-7 reverse half-line-feed ESC-8 forward half-line-feed ESC-9 vertical-tab (VT) 013 start-of-text (SO) 016 end-of-text (SI) 017 OPTIONS
-b Assume that the output device in use is not capable of backspacing. In this case, if two or more characters are to appear in the same place, only the last one read will be output. -f Although col accepts half-line motions in its input, it normally does not emit them on output. Instead, text that would appear between lines is moved to the next lower full-line boundary. This treatment can be suppressed by the -f (fine) option; in this case, the output from col may contain forward half-line-feeds (ESC-9), but will still never contain either kind of reverse line motion. -p Normally, col will ignore any escape sequences unknown to it that are found in its input; the -p option may be used to cause col to output these sequences as regular characters, subject to overprinting from reverse line motions. The use of this option is highly discouraged unless the user is fully aware of the textual position of the escape sequences. -x Prevent col from converting blank characters to tab characters on output wherever possible. Tab stops are considered to be at each column position n such that n modulo 8 equals 1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of col: LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), tbl(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The input format accepted by col matches the output produced by nroff with either the -T37 or -Tlp options. Use -T37 (and the -f option of col) if the ultimate disposition of the output of col will be a device that can interpret half-line motions, and -Tlp otherwise. col cannot back up more than 128 lines or handle more than 800 characters per line. Local vertical motions that would result in backing up over the first line of the document are ignored. As a result, the first line must not have any superscripts. SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 col(1)