Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 VMs hang after about a week Post 302633207 by vmcore on Tuesday 1st of May 2012 01:32:54 PM
Old 05-01-2012
Actually, you should try workaround for above CR, as it has not been fixed yet (in your kernel version).
Official:

There is no resolution to this issue at this time. The Solaris 10 official fix for CR# 6898318 "ZFS root system can hang swapping to zvol" went into patch 147440-04 and was later backed out due to CR# 7108029 "with 147440-04 installed on vxvm root system panics in swapify()". CR# 6898318 is now being tracked by CR# 7106883 "swap zvol preallocation does not work on Solaris 10" for resolution through a patch.

workaround:
  • Use a raw swap partition instead of swapping to a zvol. or
  • zfs set primarycache=metadata {poolname}/{swapvol}
    This workaround mitigates the issue from happening. To make sure it is properly applied,
    1. execute swap -l, to get the names of the zpools and volumes involved.
    2. The primarycache property can be viewed by:
    zfs get primarycache {poolname}/{swapvol}
    and changed by:
    zfs set primarycache=metadata {poolname}/{swapvol}

Also, this is only from experience, I would not run ZFS on a system with such limited resources. 2GB of RAM is simply not enough for performance reasons.

Last edited by vmcore; 05-01-2012 at 02:58 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vmcore For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Time change next week - solaris 8 ?

Can anyone tell me does solaris 8 automatically update the time upon the daylight savings? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 5.8 hang on boot

I have an ultra 10 system, and am trying to install and verify a previously cloned hard drive, to make sure it works, that it really is a duplicate of the hard drive currently on an other server, etc. I plugged in this cloned hard drive as master, only drive in the system. No network LAN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 CDE hang issue

Hi, I am facing some issues on Solaris 10 (SPARC 5.10 Generic_118833-36). The issue is when I try to connect/login through CDE it hangs (hangs at login screen). I tried connecting thourgh VNC client also but that also not helped. I had done no configuration change or modified any kernel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgupta
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Bind hang up when process is reaching to 500 Mb, Solaris 10u8, Sun T5140

Hi all, I use latest bind 9.6.1, brand-new T5140 Sun Server, 10u8 Solaris OS, Mar-2010 OS patch to configure a caching dns server. But bind always hang up when process/cache is reaching to 500 Mb ( Though 'prstat -a' check ) Can anyone help me a solution for this problem, i will greatly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 11 and OpenSolaris both hang at Configuring Devices

Hi, Any help would be appreciated, when I attempt to install either OpenSolaris or Solaris 11 the install hangs right after the copyright where normally it would be "configuring devices" . If it is SOL 11 it just hangs if it is OpenSolaris it starts spitting out the following: WARNING: hubdi:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jk121960
0 Replies

6. Solaris

How to get day of the week from a timestamp using Solaris

Looking for something equivalent to what im able to do with Linux: date -d 20120523 +%a Wed Is there a Solaris equivalent? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chihova
5 Replies
vxbootsetup(1M) 														   vxbootsetup(1M)

NAME
vxbootsetup - set up system boot information on a Veritas Volume Manager disk SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxbootsetup [-g diskgroup] [medianame ... ] DESCRIPTION
The vxbootsetup utility configures physical disks so that they can be used to boot the system. Before vxbootsetup is called to configure a disk, the required volumes, standvol, rootvol and swapvol (and optionally, dumpvol) must be created on the disk. All of these volumes must be contiguous with only one subdisk. The -g option may be used to specify the boot disk group. If no medianame arguments are specified, all disks that contain usable mirrors of the root, swap, /usr and /var volumes are configured to be bootable. If medianame arguments are given, only the disks that are associated with the specified disk names are configured to be bootable. vxbootsetup requires that: o The root volume must be named rootvol and must have a usage type of root. o The swap volume must be named swapvol and must have a usage type of swap. o The volumes containing /usr and /var (if any) must be named usr and var, respectively. See the chapter "Recovery from Boot Disk Failure" in the Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide for detailed information on how the system boots and how VxVM impacts the system boot process. The vxmirror, vxrootmir, and vxresize utilities call vxbootsetup automatically. If you use vxassist, or vxmake and vxplex to create mirrors of the root volume on a disk, you must run vxbootsetup explicitly to make the disk bootable. ARGUMENTS
medianame Specifies the disk name (disk media name) of a VM disk that is to be configured as bootable. SEE ALSO
disksetup(1M), edvtoc(1M), vxassist(1M), vxevac(1M), vxinstall(1M), vxintro(1M), vxmake(1M), vxmirror(1M), vxplex(1M), vxresize(1M), vxrootmir(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxbootsetup(1M)