Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut add characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut add characters Post 302623795 by Lakris on Saturday 14th of April 2012 04:18:50 PM
Old 04-14-2012
Hi,
are You sure You don't want to use -f (field) instead?
for example
Code:
cut -d";" -f1,2,3 < file

and so on would give You Your output, including the separators and will also accept fields of different lenght. But if You introduce an extra field, an extra semicolon, that will of course affect Your arguments to cut.

Best regards, Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut first 4 characters from a line

Please let me know how to cut first four characters from a line in UNIX after grepping the file.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushikraman
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut between characters of a file

Hi All, Need to convert file names to upper case using tr command in Unix. In a folder -> /apps/dd01/misc there are two files like: pi-abcd567sd.pdf pi-efgh1.pdf The output of should be like: pi-ABCD567SD.pdf pi-EFGH1.pdf I have used the command to work as below: for f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut first 21 and 32-25 characters from file

Guys, can you help me in doing cut first 21 and 32-35 characters from file. I tried with cut -c to cut first 21 characters ,It is succeeded. But i need both first 21 and 32-35. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the last 15 characters off

Hi Gurus, I am trying to execute the below command. However the output shows the value + path of the folder where the command is being executed. But I am only interested in the value but not the path. du -hs /aps/inf/SeLogs when I execute the above command, output is 32G... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last 7 characters of a variable

I need to cut the last seven characters of a variable length variable. The variable may be 7 characters or 70. I need to always be able to grab the last 7 characters. I looked at the cut command but it always seems to want to start at the beginning of a line, not the end and count backwards. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kblawson14
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reorder the Cut characters

Hi, I have a fixed width flatfile, I want to view this file specific to it's character position and in order I want to...example as below ABCDE.txt 01COLTSMANNING18 02PATS BRADY 12 03PACKSROGERS 12I used unix cut command to see specific field based on length but unable to order them as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed cut characters of string

helloo I wonder if there's a way to cut characters out of a string and keep only the last 2 by using sed. For example if there's the todays' date: 2012-05-06 and we only want to keep the last 2 characters which are the day. Is there a quick way to do it with sed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut a string for last 8 characters

Hello All I have a file like this abc.tpt.ctl bdc.tpt.ctl cdw.tpt.ctl I have looped every line using the for Loop, now I want to take each line and cut the .tpt.ctl part of it and store it in a variable and use the variable in same loop. The part I am stuck at is how do I cut the last... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut wildcard characters from a string

Hello All, I have to write a shell logic inside my ANT Script , the data from my ANT is in the string like string a = "test1.props,test2.props,*,test3.props,?,test4,props" how do i remove this wild card characters from my string a and assign them to an other string , like i only want to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raokl
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the first 100 characters of file

Hello all, I have a file and would like to cut the first 100 characters of the first line. I tried it with the ‘cut’-command: cut –c100- $file > $file.tmp But this does not work, because it will cut the first 100 characters of each line. But I need to cut them only from the beginning of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
6 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)