Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copying files to a directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying files to a directory Post 302623383 by CarloM on Friday 13th of April 2012 12:54:57 PM
Old 04-13-2012
Use find.

e.g.
Code:
find /tmp -size +1M

Finds files in /tmp (and sub-directories) which are larger than 1 Mb.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from one directory to Other

Hi UNIX Gurus, Could please help me out regarding following situation. I am copying some files from one directory to other directotry using following command. cp /var/tmp/*date*.gz /var/tmp/user/ Problem: Once the copy has completed, I need to check whether all the files (including... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishkeshetty
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with cron: copying all files in a directory to another...

Here's what I have thus far: cp -r /home/mydom/public_html/products/Widget/ /home/mydom/public_html/ This works fine but suppose the folder in public_html has a different name (Main_Widget). The cron above needs to copy the files within the folder (Widget) instead of the folder itself. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashleyquick
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Synchronization in copying multiple files to a directory

Hi Friends, My goal is to copy 1000 of files of same filesize simultaneously to a directory. i.e i do multiple copies into a same directory. What i feel here is, at some 1000th iteration, few transfers ends in advance before some transfers start. I need to get synchronized file transfers so that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from one directory into another.

Could someone please tell me if there is a command similar to head or tail that can be used on directories. I want to select a given number of files from a directory and copy them into another directory. But I found out I can't use head as it doesn't (or I don't know how yet!) work on directories.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krush187
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to a directory

Hi I have a few questions. I am trying to copy a file to a directory. I need to copy files that do not end in numbers, for example, into a directory. This is what I tried so far. cp filename directorytowhereIwannacopy but it says it can't copy to a directory. I need to copy many files into one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: #moveon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a directory and copying files to it

Hi all, wondering if someone would be able to help with a little query I have. I currently have a script which copies everything in a specific directory to a number of other directories depending on a variable. The problem I have is the destination directories vary (in and incoming directories)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No such file or directory error while copying files

Hi, I need to copy files from one dir to another dir. The list of filesnames to be moved are in a file called files2cp.log Script: #!/bin/ksh exec 0</home/amdocs/files2cp.log while read LINE do cp -i /iccs33/attach/"$LINE" /iccs30/attach/"$LINE" done The output is "No such... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinirsr
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in copying multiple files from th directory

Hey Guys, I have directory with thousands of files, I need to copy only march data. can any one please Help.......... Thanks, Uttam N (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uttamnsd
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from parent directory only

Hello, Please can someone assist on a issue I am having. I want to find specific files in the parent directory only that have been modified over the last 2 days and copy them to another location. NOTE: The version of AIX I am using does not have MAXDEPTH. I have currently written the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from one directory to another, renaming duplicates.

Below is the script i have but i would like simplified but still do the same job. I need a script to copy files not directories or sub-directories into a existing or new directory. The files, if have the same name but different extension; for example 01.doc 01.pdf then only copy the .doc file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gilljambo
1 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)