Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem installing basemap
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem installing basemap Post 302616459 by davcra on Saturday 31st of March 2012 07:33:10 AM
Old 03-31-2012
Problem installing basemap

Hi, I previously installed basemap by using the yum command. This installed version 0.99.4. I want to install the latest version but am having some problems. My system info is,
Code:
[davcra@David basemap-1.0.1]$ uname -a
Linux David 3.3.0-4.fc16.i686 #1 SMP Tue Mar 20 18:45:14 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

yum doesnt seem to find the latest version so I have been following some instructions from
HTML Code:
http://matplotlib.github.com/basemap/users/installing.html
. I downloaded the latest version and untarred it. Then in the basemap directory (which contains geos-3.2.0) I try to set the environment variable GEOS_DIR to point to the location of libgeos_c and geos_c.h.
I use the find command to locate the files,
Code:
find / -name geos_c.h

returns the location of that file as
Code:
/usr/lib/basemap-1.0.1/geos-3.2.0/capi/geos_c.h

and
Code:
find / -name libgeos*

returns
Code:
/libgeos_c_la-geos_c.Plo
/usr/lib/libgeos-3.3.1.so
/usr/lib/libgeos_c.so.1.7.1
/usr/lib/libgeos_c.so.1

so I set GEOS_DIR to /usr/lib.
I then cd to the basemap directory and run,
python setup.py install but get the following error,
Code:
[davcra@David basemap-1.0.1]$ sudo python setup.py install
[sudo] password for davcra: 
checking for GEOS lib in /root ....
checking for GEOS lib in /usr ....
checking for GEOS lib in /usr/local ....
checking for GEOS lib in /sw ....
checking for GEOS lib in /opt ....
checking for GEOS lib in /opt/local ....

Can't find geos library . Please set the
environment variable GEOS_DIR to point to the location
where geos is installed (for example, if geos_c.h
is in /usr/local/include, and libgeos_c is in /usr/local/lib,
set GEOS_DIR to /usr/local), or edit the setup.py script
manually and set the variable GEOS_dir (right after the line
that says "set GEOS_dir manually here".

It doesnt like the environment variable so can I just move geos_c.h to /usr/lib or will that mess things up altogether??
Thanks,
D

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem installing openssh v2.9-p2

I am trying to install openssh v2.9-p2 on Solaris 8. I already installed zlib and openssl, as required in INSTALL file. But when I issue ./configure to configure openssh v2.9-p2 for my platform ( I got the sources), it stops in the folowing message: checking for OpenSSL directory... configure:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: htsubamoto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Installing (elite help please)

No unix/linux systems have worked on my computer Problem: I have SATA hard drive and every time i get the error which says 'YOU HAVE NO HARD DRIVE' wondering which i tried? http://www.linuxiso.org/ so if you have dealt with this before, please reply if you think you know then it might... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: GXDeMoNN
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help. I have a problem with installing FreeBSD

hi. I am newbie in Unix. I wanted to install Free BSD 5.2.1 to my computer which winXp was already installed. But i couldn't. I chose Standard. Then it said you are going to use dos style fdisk partitioning. Then a window displayed begining like this. WARNING: A geometry of 155127/16/63 for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sualcavab
2 Replies

4. Solaris

problem installing pine

when i try to build pine unix tells me it can't find make # ./build xxx make args are CC=cc soc Including LDAP functionality ln: cannot create c-client: File exists ln: cannot create mtest: File exists ln: cannot create mailutil: File exists ln: cannot create imapd: File exists ln:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vutty81
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem installing gdbm

I'm trying to install gdbm on a MacPro running Leopard. But when I do the make install, I get this error: /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 -o root -g root gdbm.h \ /usr/include/gdbm.h install: root: Invalid argument make: *** Error 67 Any ideas? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shan Hollen
1 Replies

6. BSD

Problem with re-installing ports

Hello, I am fairly new at FreeBSD. I tried searching existing topics for a similar problem, but I found none :) I have a problem reinstalling apache22 which I had to remove in my troubleshooting with mysql. Since I've got MySQL working now (joy unbounded!) I now have the task of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brightstorm
3 Replies

7. Solaris

problem while installing on X-86

Hi all, I tried to install Sun Solaris 10 on a X-86 based machine. I have dedicated entire diskspace to create auto partition. My hardware config is below: Main Board : Asus Processor : Intel 945 , 3 G/Hz RAM : 1 Gigs Diskspace : 80 Gigs When I install, installation goes successful.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
1 Replies

8. Fedora

newbie question and problem installing basemap

Hi, Bit of a newbie question first. I have fedora installed as a partition on a lenovo G570 laptop. When I type uname -a I get, Linux David 3.2.6-3.fc16.i686 #1 SMP Mon Feb 13 20:52:22 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux the man page tells me this is sysname = Linux nodename = David ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davcra
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Problem in installing mysql

Hi i am trying to install mysql rpm package on my linux machine but getting below error : warning: MySQL-embedded-5.5.28-1.rhel5.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5 error: Failed dependencies: MySQL-devel is needed by MySQL-embedded-5.5.28-1.rhel5.i386 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Problem Installing Oracle 8i

System Model and Spec Sun Enterprise 420R Processor Speed: 450 MHz (4 processors) Installed RAM: 4 GB Os: Solaris 8 Sparc I successfully installed standard oracle 8i setup on our database server specs above but after installation was competed and it went to creating database I got the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
2 Replies
yum-langpacks(8)														  yum-langpacks(8)

NAME
yum-langpacks - Plugin for yum SYNOPSIS
yum [command] [package ...] DESCRIPTION
yum-langpacks is a plugin for yum to install language packs. This plugin allows user various commands. command is one of: * langavailable [language1] [language2] [...] * langinfo [language1] [language2] [...] * langinstall [language1] [language2] [...] * langlist [language1] [language2] [...] * langremove [language1] [language2] [...] langavailable This command allows user to find if language support is available for the given input languages. langinfo This command allows user to check which packages will get installed when the given input language support is installed. langinstall This command allows user to install language packs for the given input languages. langlist This command prints list of the installed languages. langremove This command allows user to remove the installed language packs for a given input languages. EXAMPLES
To check what packages get installed for language codes es_ES, hi_IN and language names Japanese and Portuguese (Brazil). yum langinfo es_ES "Japanese" hi_IN "Portuguese (Brazil)" NOTES
These commands accept language codes or language names or mix of them as a input. SEE ALSO
yum (8) BUGS
Please report any bugs in Red Hat bugzilla, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora Parag Nemade yum-langpacks(8)