Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk Capacity Shell Script
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Disk Capacity Shell Script Post 302615791 by methyl on Friday 30th of March 2012 05:53:03 AM
Old 03-30-2012
@Scrutinizer
I can't reproduce that effect. Perhaps your own computer or the O/P's is using Unicode not ASCII and my cut/paste is correcting the character? Or, as you suggest the O/P has used a non-unix editor.
The O/P could try editing the script with unix vi (or vim) and retyping the whole line.

The cut with Berkeley unix was a but sensitive to syntax, and we don't know what O/S we have here.
Might be worth trying space characters in the command line as well as following the strict field order:
Code:
cut -f 1 -d '%'

This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix disk capacity at 100%

Is there any danger to keeping one of my disks at 100% capacity? (it's a disk just used for read-only files, not system files or anything like that). It's HP-UX if that matters. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Migrate VxVM boot disks to higher capacity disk

Hi, Im getting a downtime of 4 hrs to do porting of bootdisks. Currently, the system is running on Sf4800. 2 internal disk 36G connected to a SE3510 storage. We're getting 72G disks and we want to restore the OS from the current 36G to the 72G disk. System is under veritas volume manager ctrl.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to create disk load

friends , need a shell script to create a disk load. can any one pls guide me with how this can be implemented. Pls provide the concept. from there i will try to design my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File system capacity meter in shell

HI i need help to show the file system capacity in meter or like the progress bar . OS = Solaris 10 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bejo4ever
8 Replies

5. AIX

how to find out disk capacity

Hi, I would like to know how to find out disk capacity if it is assigned from the storage as a lun. as per below command , I am unable to find out disk capacity. $ bash bash-3.00$ lspv hdisk1 0001579a7fa3c086 None $ lscfg -vl hdisk1 hdisk1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find filesystem capacity on 50 servers

Hi all, I am new to Unix and I want to write a shell script in a jumpbox for finding the filesystem capacity on 50 unix servers ( by ssh ) and then email the result in HTML format with server name and capacity % to a specific outlook distribution list. any suggestion would be of great help. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitbisht9
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Disk Space script in bash shell

Hi Guys, I'm a newb at shell scripting and successfully attempted a small disk space script (victory!!) but i'm wondering whether it actually takes into consideration KB,MB,GB. Please take a look at the script and advise. ##script to check if file sys has reached threshold. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk quotas shell script

Hello.. I wrote the following shell script to run disk quotas for assigning limits to users. I need to know the partition which the user has created and mount it. So i copied the partitions (which will be displayed after running fdisk -l) and separted the last line from it and cut the required... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyanilinux
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tru 64 Disk Capacity Check

i have a query on checking Tru64 disk drives physical capacity. i used hwmgr view devices and saw this disk. 160: /dev/disk/dsk7c COMPAQ BF03688284 bus-3-targ-0-lun-0 checking the model on the internet shows it is a 36.4GB drive. i checked the disk details and saw the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnotaguru
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with C-shell Script: Disk checking

Hi, i am new in shell script. i have given a task to make a C-shell script. I have list of ip address and device name respectively. For example; cal 1 : 100.21.25.10 cal 2 : 100.21.25.11 cal 3 : 100.21.25.12 cal 4 : 100.21.25.14 and so on... Right now, i have this. #! /bin/csh -f ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lattey
0 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file...] cut -c list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like <TAB> (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (use- ful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2: Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.10 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)