Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Nfs client mount RPC Error: Program not registered. Post 302614589 by bobby320 on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 03:36:32 PM
Old 03-28-2012
Nfs client mount RPC Error: Program not registered.

Hello,

I was having few issues on my linux box, I am getting this error whenever I tried to mount a share on a client linux host.

Code:
# mount -t nfs 10.10.4.150:/data/pops_sva /mnt
mount: mount to NFS server '10.10.4.150' failed: RPC Error: Program not registered.
#

I see the error and I tried to restart portmap but that did not helpful. Running into same issue.
I see the rpc.statd process running and rpc.lockd process not running, how can I start rpc.lockd service

While I was going through couple of online links, mentioned "If you are using a 2.2 or later kernel with the /proc filesystem you can check the latter by reading the file /proc/filesystems and making sure there is a line containing nfs. If not, typing insmod nfs may make it magically appear if NFS has been compiled as a module; otherwise, you will need to build (or download) a kernel that has NFS support built in." -- I did checked in /proc/filesystems I didnot see nfsd entry. So in this case do I need to start nfs serivce on the client, to load nfsd module??

not sure what am I missing here to fix this issue.

Code:
# ps -ef |grep rpc.statd
rpcuser  30196     1  0 13:39 ?        00:00:00 rpc.statd
root     32214 30055  0 14:28 pts/1    00:00:00 grep rpc.statd
# ps -ef |grep rpc.lockd
root     32216 30055  0 14:28 pts/1    00:00:00 grep rpc.lockd
# more /proc/filesystems
nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   cpuset
nodev   binfmt_misc
nodev   debugfs
nodev   securityfs
nodev   sockfs
nodev   usbfs
nodev   pipefs
nodev   anon_inodefs
nodev   futexfs
nodev   tmpfs
nodev   inotifyfs
nodev   eventpollfs
nodev   devpts
        ext2
nodev   ramfs
nodev   hugetlbfs
        iso9660
nodev   mqueue
        ext3
nodev   rpc_pipefs
nodev   autofs
#

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"rpc program not registered"??

Hello all, When I shut down my X86/Solaris 8, I get the following messages on the console: "rpc program not registered "...... What is mean?why?May someone can tell me :) Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lee
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

clnttcp_create: RPC program not registered

s/o=SCO 5.05 openserver hi, i have a problem with a mount between 2 servers i can see the mounted files, but i canīt open it if the file is a *.dbf, if i try to a "dbf" file with fox for unix the error is (the system has reached the maximum number of blocks) mount -f NFS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jav_v
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can not get netapp to mount RPC Not registered error

getting "NFS mount: netapp : RPC: Program not registered" error searched the site but none of the fixes from previous threads are helping (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calamine
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

NFS client Mount script after boot

Hi, I have 12 AIX P series servers. One has the NFS DB2data and the others are client mounts. NFS is not in /etc/filesystem because if NFS DB2data not up the client takes 7+ minutes to give up on nfsmnt and boot up. I'd like to check that nfs is up, then do the client mount all from a startup... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv2xs
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unusual NFS mount problem on only ONE client: Red Hat WS Rel 3

This is an unusual situation where I have an NFS server currently serving out MULTIPLE clients over several variants of Linux and UNIX successfully (world permissions) except for a SINGLE client. Even the other Linux (SuSE) clients in the same room are mounting successfully with defaults without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelpert1
6 Replies

6. AIX

can not mount from aix client to linux nfs server

Hi, I am trying to mount a nfs folder from AIX client to Linux NFS Server, but I got the following error: # mount 128.127.11.121:/aix /to_be_del mount: 1831-010 server 128.127.11.121 not responding: RPC: 1832-018 Port mapper failure - RPC: 1832-008 Timed out mount: retrying... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Not able to mount NFS share on client side

When i tried to mount the nfs i see this error message mount -t nfs 192.168.20.194:/remote/proj1 /nfsmount mount: 192.168.20.194:/remote/proj1 failed, reason given by server: Permission denied and the /etc/exports file in the host side looks like this /remote/proj1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinathk
12 Replies

8. Solaris

nfs mount: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out

Fails to mount the server (10.125.224.22) during installation of a software on client, throwing the below error: nfs mount: 10.125.224.22: : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out nfs mount: retrying: /cdrom This happened after complete shutdown of the lab. The server came up fine but most... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount NFS Share On NFS Client via bash script.

I need a help of good people with effective bash script to mount nfs shared, By the way I did the searches, since i haven't found that someone wrote a script like this in the past, I'm sure it will serve more people. The scenario as follow: An NFS Client with Daily CRON , running bash script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brian.t
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 NFS client cannot mount a share from a Windows server

I have a Solaris 10 server, I'm trying to mount a share from a Windows nfs server. If I add this entry (tst-walnut:/test_sap_nfs - /majid nfs - yes rw,soft) to my /etc/vfstab, then I can mount, but when I create a file by root:root, the file owner changes to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies
MOUNT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  MOUNT(8)

NAME
mount - mount file systems SYNOPSIS
mount [ -adfruvw ] [ -t ufs | external_type ] mount [ -dfruvw ] special | node mount [ -dfruvw ] [ -o options ] [ -t ufs | external_type ] special node DESCRIPTION
The mount command calls the mount(2) system call to prepare and graft a special device on to the file system tree at the point node. If either special or node are not provided, the appropriate information is taken from the fstab(5) file. The system maintains a list of currently mounted file systems. If no arguments are given to mount, this list is printed. The options are as follows: -a Causes everything to be done except for the actual system call. This option is useful in conjunction with the -v flag to determine what the mount command is trying to do. -f Forces the revocation of write access when trying to downgrade a filesystem mount status from read-write to read-only. For 2.11BSD this flag is currently not implemented. -o Options are specified with a -o flag followed by a comma separated string of options. The following options are available: async All I/O to the file system should be done asynchronously. This is a dangerous flag to set, and should not be used unless you are prepared to recreate the file system should your system crash. force The same as -f; forces the revocation of write access when trying to downgrade a filesystem mount status from read- write to read-only. This is not (and likely never will be) supported in 2.11BSD. nodev Do not interpret character or block special devices on the file system. This option is useful for a server that has file systems containing special devices for architectures other than its own. noexec Do not allow execution of any binaries on the mounted file system. This option is useful for a server that has file systems containing binaries for architectures other than its own. nosuid Do not allow set-user-identifier or set-group-identifier bits to take effect. rdonly The same as -r; mount the file system read-only (even the super-user may not write it). sync All I/O to the file system should be done synchronously. update The same as -u; indicate that the status of an already mounted file system should be changed. Any additional options specific to a filesystem type that is not one of the internally known types (see the -t option) may be passed as a comma separated list; these options are distinguished by a leading - (dash). Options that take a value are specified using the syntax -option=value. At present no 2.11BSD mount options use the following form, the example has been retained for illustrative purposes only. For example, the mount command: mount -t mfs -o nosuid,-N,-s=4000 /dev/dk0b /tmp causes mount to execute the equivalent of: /sbin/mount_mfs -o nosuid -N -s 4000 /dev/dk0b /tmp -r The file system is to be mounted read-only. Mount the file system read-only (even the super-user may not write it). The same as the ``rdonly'' argument to the -o option. -t "ufs | external type" The argument following the -t is used to indicate the file system type. The type ufs is the default. Ufs is also the only value supported by 2.11BSD other than swap. Thus the -t will rarely be used. The -t option can be used to indicate that the actions should only be taken on filesystems of the specified type. More than one type may be specified in a comma separated list. The list of filesystem types can be prefixed with ``no'' to specify the filesystem types for which action should not be taken. For example, the mount command: mount -a -t nonfs,mfs mounts all filesystems except those of type NFS and MFS. If the type is not one of the internally known types, mount will attempt to execute a program in /sbin/mount_XXX where XXX is replaced by the type name. For example, mfs filesystems are mounted by the program /sbin/mount_mfs. -u The -u flag indicates that the status of an already mounted file system should be changed. Any of the options discussed above (the -o option) may be changed; also a file system can be changed from read-only to read-write or vice versa. An attempt to change from read-write to read-only will fail if any files on the filesystem are currently open for writing unless the -f flag is also specified. This is currently not implemented in 2.11BSD. The ability to change the flags (nodev, nosuid, etc) is however supported. The set of options is determined by first extracting the options for the file system from the fstab table, then applying any options specified by the -o argument, and finally applying the -r or -w option. -v Verbose mode. -w The file system object is to be read and write. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table SEE ALSO
mount(2), fstab(5), umount(8) BUGS
It is possible for a corrupted file system to cause a crash. mount and this manpage were ported from 4.4BSD-Lite to 2.11BSD to gain the ability to set the various flags such as nodev, nosuid and so on. Multiple filesystem types are not supported and several of the options and flags are not implemented. HISTORY
A mount command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4.4 Berkeley Distribution November 16, 1996 MOUNT(8)