Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple archiving
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple archiving Post 302612057 by pernuntium on Saturday 24th of March 2012 11:52:32 AM
Old 03-24-2012
Simple archiving

Hi,

I am a UNIX novice and was trying to write a bash script that would read two parameters, $1 would be the archive file path where the archiving path is passed, so the archiving script will write to this file path. The second parameter will be the directory path to the library which will contain the files to be archived. For this exercise I am using James Goseling's archiving script:
Code:
for i do
  echo"echo x-$i"
  echo"cat>$i<<'Stop!Here!'"
  cat $i
  echo"Stop!Here!"
done

I know that I will have to call this script recursively if I am to use it as a function and pass on to it the above mentioned parameters, but I don't know how to do it recursively. Could anyone please give me a hint?
Thank you!

I am running into a new problem, namely I am getting : line 32: syntax error: unexpected end of file
I have modified the original code to:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

NONE='\033[0m'
RED='\033[0;31m'
GREEN='\033[0;32m'
YELLOW='\033[0;33m'

#alias chdir="cd $2"

if (( $# != 2 ))
  then
  printf "${RED}Error: There should be exactly two command-line arguments.\n${NONE}"
  read junk
fi

#cd "$2"

chmod 700 $1
function archive {

echo "echo x - $i"
   echo "cat>$i<<'Stop!Here!'"
   cat $i
   echo "Stop!Here!" }

for i do
    archive ./$2 * > ./$1
done

Can anyone please help me understand why I am getting this error.
Thank you

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment How to use code tags when posting data and code samples.

Last edited by pernuntium; 03-26-2012 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archiving

I am looking for some advice. I have some files on a Unix server, which contain symbolic links. I need to copy these over to a nfts environment, but wish to keep the symbolic links intact. Any ideas? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmasonuk
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving Users

Hello Gurus, I have a requirement where I have to remove users that have not logged into our unix box last 90 days. I want to script this one and remove the users automatically now and then. Has any one ever done this before, if so please give me some sample code. I am not a good unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suseesk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving

Hi, I want to archive below directory ex: /home/oracle/dd0 sub-directories in dd0 /home/oracle/dd0/backup/backup1 /home/oracle/dd0/backup/backup2 /home/oracle/dd0/dmp ....etc I want a command(tar) which will let me archive the above directory excluding *.dmp(dump files), *.log(log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a simple archiving script

Im trying to create a script to archive specified directories into a specified tarball backup file. This is what i want the input to look like ex. save -i '/bin/b*' -i '/bin/ls' -o backup this is what i have #!/bin/bash #save - backup file script unset myInput unset myOutput while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lensmen
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving by Time

Hi all. I am trying to set up archiving of directories, such that I keep every directory made in the past week, but just one directory per week beyond that. Using the find command, I can easily delete everything more than one week old, but can not figure out how to save one. Each directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aefskysa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving the files

Hi, Suppose I have 2 files of yesterday's. And today I have received 3 files. Before processing anything I want to archieve the 2 files of yesterday's into a different folder. How can this be done? Regards, Sunitha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunitha_edi82
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving in Perl

Hi Guys i am experiencing this problem when trying to archive a file in perl. the files name is created dynamically. (my $date = `date +"%d%m%Y"`;) `tar czf /opt/memex/backups/Complete$date.tar.gz /opt/memex/backups/Complete$date`; error message: tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grant Pryor
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving the files

hi, Am trying to acrhive a bunch of files on some ftp site and somehow managed to come out with the below logic. I'm getting "syntax error: unexpected end of file" error. Interestingly this below snipeet works fine if run for the first time but the subsequent runs fail! Anybody has any idea... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amee5
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logs archiving

Hi , Might be the very basic question and most frequent one also.. wanted to archive the logs/files older than one month or older than 30 days to some particular location. File/log format is like below ABCD_EF_GHIJ_Defaulter_Report_(06-Jun-2014_11-50-20_AM) Source : /test/ABC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riverstone
3 Replies
GIT-ARCHIVE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-ARCHIVE(1)

NAME
git-archive - Create an archive of files from a named tree SYNOPSIS
git archive [--format=<fmt>] [--list] [--prefix=<prefix>/] [<extra>] [-o <file> | --output=<file>] [--worktree-attributes] [--remote=<repo> [--exec=<git-upload-archive>]] <tree-ish> [<path>...] DESCRIPTION
Creates an archive of the specified format containing the tree structure for the named tree, and writes it out to the standard output. If <prefix> is specified it is prepended to the filenames in the archive. git archive behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as the modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header if the tar format is used; it can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. In ZIP files it is stored as a file comment. OPTIONS
--format=<fmt> Format of the resulting archive: tar or zip. If this option is not given, and the output file is specified, the format is inferred from the filename if possible (e.g. writing to "foo.zip" makes the output to be in the zip format). Otherwise the output format is tar. -l, --list Show all available formats. -v, --verbose Report progress to stderr. --prefix=<prefix>/ Prepend <prefix>/ to each filename in the archive. -o <file>, --output=<file> Write the archive to <file> instead of stdout. --worktree-attributes Look for attributes in .gitattributes files in the working tree as well (see the section called "ATTRIBUTES"). <extra> This can be any options that the archiver backend understands. See next section. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from the local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. --exec=<git-upload-archive> Used with --remote to specify the path to the git-upload-archive on the remote side. <tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce an archive for. <path> Without an optional path parameter, all files and subdirectories of the current working directory are included in the archive. If one or more paths are specified, only these are included. BACKEND EXTRA OPTIONS
zip -0 Store the files instead of deflating them. -9 Highest and slowest compression level. You can specify any number from 1 to 9 to adjust compression speed and ratio. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. If --remote is used then only the configuration of the remote repository takes effect. tar.<format>.command This variable specifies a shell command through which the tar output generated by git archive should be piped. The command is executed using the shell with the generated tar file on its standard input, and should produce the final output on its standard output. Any compression-level options will be passed to the command (e.g., "-9"). An output file with the same extension as <format> will be use this format if no other format is given. The "tar.gz" and "tgz" formats are defined automatically and default to gzip -cn. You may override them with custom commands. tar.<format>.remote If true, enable <format> for use by remote clients via git-upload-archive(1). Defaults to false for user-defined formats, but true for the "tar.gz" and "tgz" formats. ATTRIBUTES
export-ignore Files and directories with the attribute export-ignore won't be added to archive files. See gitattributes(5) for details. export-subst If the attribute export-subst is set for a file then Git will expand several placeholders when adding this file to an archive. See gitattributes(5) for details. Note that attributes are by default taken from the .gitattributes files in the tree that is being archived. If you want to tweak the way the output is generated after the fact (e.g. you committed without adding an appropriate export-ignore in its .gitattributes), adjust the checked out .gitattributes file as necessary and use --worktree-attributes option. Alternatively you can keep necessary attributes that should apply while archiving any tree in your $GIT_DIR/info/attributes file. EXAMPLES
git archive --format=tar --prefix=junk/ HEAD | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extract it in the /var/tmp/junk directory. git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a compressed tarball for v1.4.0 release. git archive --format=tar.gz --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Same as above, but using the builtin tar.gz handling. git archive --prefix=git-1.4.0/ -o git-1.4.0.tar.gz v1.4.0 Same as above, but the format is inferred from the output file. git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0^{tree} | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a compressed tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git archive --format=zip --prefix=git-docs/ HEAD:Documentation/ > git-1.4.0-docs.zip Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.zip, with the prefix git-docs/. git archive -o latest.zip HEAD Create a Zip archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch. Note that the output format is inferred by the extension of the output file. git config tar.tar.xz.command "xz -c" Configure a "tar.xz" format for making LZMA-compressed tarfiles. You can use it specifying --format=tar.xz, or by creating an output file like -o foo.tar.xz. SEE ALSO
gitattributes(5) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-ARCHIVE(1)