Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Session timeout setting in server Post 302611943 by sb200 on Saturday 24th of March 2012 02:17:19 AM
Old 03-24-2012
Session timeout setting in server

Hi All

I need to set timeout of login session of a user if a user is idle for some time.

I know the TMOUT setting but it work with only BASH & KORN shell only as I need to set for Bourne shell also. I am trying to put "ClientAliveInterval 300" in sshd_config & restart or refreshing the ssh service. But after idling for more than 300 seconds,Still user is not automatically logout.

Where I am missing please help me this regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet session timeout

hi, we can set something such that if the user has been idle for a while, it will auto disconnect. where to do so? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Session timeout

Hi, anyone Audit requirement to set the Solaris 8 server session timeout to 180 sec , Please advice how can I do it .... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find out excat timing of ftp control session timeout

We are facing difficulties in ftp'ing large files.For large file transfer using FTP, the control session gets timed out where as the the data session is active and transfers the file completely. Is there a way to make the control session active as long as data session? How to find the control... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

session timeout for shell script

I am executing test.sh script. But this script takes lot of time and in the meantime the shell timeouts without completing the script. Is there any command which will continue processing the script. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

5. AIX

Unix session timeout?

We recently moved servers to a new data center, and now we're experiencing user sessions timing out after non-activity. We didnt experience this before, or know of any timeout settings that may have been changed. Any things I can check out on the server? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putty Session Timeout

Hi, I had add the following line into .profile and .bash_profile for the timeout session to avoid putty close automatically : timeout=10800 However, i still keep encounter session time out every after 60 seconds. Can anyone please help advice. Many Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wancy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a Timeout

Hi I'm writing a script which based on a condition, restarts a set of servers. The problem I'm facing is, say if one of the server is down, my script stops there and fails to proceed. How can I ensure to set a timeout value on that script, so when the server is not reachable, the script should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathbalaji
2 Replies

8. AIX

Set timeout value for ssh session to HMC?

Friends, Could anyone let me know - how to set the timeout value for ssh session to HMC? My HMC version is -- V7R7.4.0. I'm sure the version doesn't have anything to do with it. Thanks, -- Souvik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

9. Linux

Is it possible to set timeout on Linux screen session

Hello friends, I work on Linux servers via SSH (putty) and run "screen" to preserve my sessions so I can attach/detach them at anytime I wish without losing the connectivity/process disruption which is working perfectly fine. As my team members also have root access to those servers, it is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
7 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)