Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Text Formatting using printf[ksh] Post 302609351 by Corona688 on Monday 19th of March 2012 06:08:16 PM
Old 03-19-2012
Show exactly what you're doing, word for word, letter for letter, keystroke for keystroke, please.

%10f makes no more sense now than it did then, so do correct your statement as well...

Last edited by Corona688; 03-19-2012 at 07:15 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf command in ksh

Hi, I am very confused with my printf command. Somehow one variable can't line up with others... newstart2 ="Mon Nov 11 01 00:00:00 2002" printf "%-20s" $newstart2 Here is the output: Mon Nov 11 01 00:00:00 2002 It spread out to two lines.. Why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cin2000
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH printf: columns and colors

Ih all, I need to make a ksh script with colors, it is possible with printf to combine column and colors ? i seem not working, I think i dont doing the good thing: printf -n "%-15s %-20s %-20s\n" "\033 the position is ok Name______Age________Site ----________---_________---- Bob... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf formatting using string format specifier.

Hi all, My simple AWK code does C = A - B If C can be a negative number, how awk printf formating handles it using string format specifier. Thanks in advance Kanu :confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting date in ksh

hi all, in ksh, how do i format date so it includes hour and minute ?? i am trying the following command : date +%Om/%Od/%Oy%OH:%M but it displays the hour and minute concatenated with the day/month/year e.g 12/10/0814:08 when i want the output to be 12/10/08 14:08 i tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help formatting a string. Something like printf?

Hi I'm having a problem with converting a file: ID X 1 7 1 8 1 3 2 5 2 7 2 2 To something like this: ID X1 X2 X3 1 7 8 3 2 5 7 2 I've tried the following loop: for i in `cat tst.csv| awk -F "," '{print $1}'| uniq`;do grep -h $i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printf formatting

Is there a way to make these 2 numbers - $482477.37 and $1875000.00 look like $482,477.37 and $1,875,000.00 with printf? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String formatting using awk printf

Hi Friends, I am trying to insert lines of the below format in a file: # x3a4914 Joe 2010/04/07 # seh Lane 2010/04/07 # IN01379 Larry 2010/04/07 I am formatting the strings as follows using awk printf: awk 'printf "# %s %9s %18s\n", $2,$3,$4}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n in ksh using echo & printf

#!/usr/bin/ksh var1="Hi World" var2="Morning" var3=$(echo "$var1" \n "$var2") echo $var3 var3=$(printf "$var1 \n $var2") echo $var3 Output Any way to get in my $var3 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with printf in UNIX KSH shell

Hi ALL, I am using SunOS 5.9 and KSH(bin/ksh) The problem am facing is error message diaplyed on screen printf: 12099415.79 not completely converted printf: + expected numeric value printf: 11898578.29 not completely converted When i try printing with The output is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
6 Replies

10. Programming

Passing printf formatting parameters as variables

Hi, I haven't programed in C in a few years. I have been doing a lot of shell scripting, I.E. not really programming anything heavy. :o That said, I have a script that gives hourly usage statistics for our email server. It runs w-a-y to slow as a script for my impatience, and needs to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
7 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 times(1)