Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using AWK to make four column to one column Post 302607773 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 15th of March 2012 10:05:25 AM
Old 03-15-2012
If you have GNU sed:
Code:
sed -ri.bak 's/,([^,]*$)?//g' infile*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to make an AWK code for ordering numbers in a column from least to highest

Hi all, I have a large column of numbers like 5.6789 2.4578 9.4678 13.5673 1.6589 ..... I am trying to make an awk code so that awk can easily go through the column and arrange the numbers from least to highest like 1.6589 2.4578 5.6789 ....... can anybody suggest, how can I do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
5 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

awk- add columns and make new column and save as newfile

Hi, I have file as below: 5 6 7 4 8 9 3 5 6 output needs to be another file with 4th column as $1+$2 and 5th column as $3+$4. sample output file 5 6 7 11 18 4 8 9 12 21 3 5 6 8 14 Anybody have answer Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate data and make it into new column using awk

Hi everyone, just some simple question... i've been using a awk script to calculate my data... i have 3 files: file a1.txt: 2 3 4 5 3 4 file a2.txt: 4 5 6 7 8 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yat
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for each different entry in column 1 extract maximum values from column 2 in unix/awk

Hello, I have 2 columns (1st column has multiple entries but the corresponding values in the column 2 may be the same or different.) however I want to extract unique values for each entry in column 1 by assigning the max value from column 2 SDF4 -0.211654 SDF4 0.978068 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to create max value of 3rd column, grouping by first column

Hi, I need an awk script (or whatever shell-construct) that would take data like below and get the max value of 3 column, when grouping by the 1st column. clientname,day-of-month,max-users ----------------------------------- client1,20120610,5 client2,20120610,2 client3,20120610,7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed: change the color of a column w/o screwing up column spacing

Hey folks. I wrote a little awk script that summarizes /proc/net/dev info and then pipes it to the nix column command to set up column spacing appropriately. Here's some example output: Iface RxMBytes RxPackets RxErrs RxDrop TxMBytes TxPackets TxErrs TxDrop bond0 9 83830... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryran
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Print New Column For Every Two Lines and Match On Multiple Column Values to print another column

Hi, My input files is like this axis1 0 1 10 axis2 0 1 5 axis1 1 2 -4 axis2 2 3 -3 axis1 3 4 5 axis2 3 4 -1 axis1 4 5 -6 axis2 4 5 1 Now, these are my following tasks 1. Print a first column for every two rows that has the same value followed by a string. 2. Match on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with awk (fatal error) and paste (two variables into one column-by-column)

Hello, I have a script extracting columns of useful numbers from a data file, and manipulating the numbers with awk commands. I have problems with my script... 1. There are two lines assigning numbers to $BaseForAveraging. If I use the commented line (the first one) and let the second one... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgbraymond
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to Sum columns when other column has duplicates and append one column value to another with Care

Hi Experts, Please bear with me, i need help I am learning AWk and stuck up in one issue. First point : I want to sum up column value for column 7, 9, 11,13 and column15 if rows in column 5 are duplicates.No action to be taken for rows where value in column 5 is unique. Second point : For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to append suffix to column when column has duplicated values

Please help me to get required output for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 and need separate code for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 Scenario 1 i need to do below changes only when column1 is CR and column3 has duplicates rows/values. This inputfile can contain 100 of this duplicated rows of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies
tabs(1) 							   User Commands							   tabs(1)

NAME
tabs - set tabs on a terminal SYNOPSIS
tabs [ -n | --file [ [-code] | -a | -a2 | -c | -c2 | -c3 | -f | -p | -s | -u] ] [ +m [n]] [-T type] tabs [-T type] [ + m [n]] n1 [ , n2 ,...] DESCRIPTION
The tabs utility sets the tab stops on the user's terminal according to a tab specification, after clearing any previous settings. The user's terminal must have remotely settable hardware tabs. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. If a given flag occurs more than once, the last value given takes effect: -T type tabs needs to know the type of terminal in order to set tabs and margins. type is a name listed in term(5). If no -T flag is supplied, tabs uses the value of the environment variable TERM. If the value of TERM is NULL or TERM is not defined in the environment (see environ(5)), tabs uses ansi+tabs as the terminal type to provide a sequence that will work for many terminals. +m[n] The margin argument may be used for some terminals. It causes all tabs to be moved over n columns by making column n+1 the left margin. If +m is given without a value of n, the value assumed is 10. For a TermiNet, the first value in the tab list should be 1, or the margin will move even further to the right. The normal (leftmost) margin on most terminals is obtained by +m0. The margin for most terminals is reset only when the +m flag is given explicitly. Tab Specification Four types of tab specification are accepted. They are described below: canned, repetitive (-n), arbitrary (n1,n2,...), and file (-file). If no tab specification is given, the default value is -8, that is, UNIX system ``standard'' tabs. The lowest column number is 1. Note: For tabs, column 1 always refers to the leftmost column on a terminal, even one whose column markers begin at 0, for example, the DASI 300, DASI 300s, and DASI 450. Canned -code Use one of the codes listed below to select a canned set of tabs. If more than one code is specified, the last code option will be used. The legal codes and their meanings are as follows: -a 1,10,16,36,72 Assembler, IBM S/370, first format -a2 1,10,16,40,72 Assembler, IBM S/370, second format -c 1,8,12,16,20,55 COBOL, normal format -c2 1,6,10,14,49 COBOL compact format (columns 1-6 omitted). Using this code, the first typed character corresponds to card column 7, one space gets you to column 8, and a tab reaches column 12. Files using this tab setup should include a format specification as follows (see fspec(4)): <:t-c2 m6 s66 d:> -c3 1,6,10,14,18,22,26,30,34,38,42,46,50,54,58,62,67 COBOL compact format (columns 1-6 omitted), with more tabs than -c2. This is the recommended format for COBOL. The appropriate format specification is (see fspec(4)): <:t-c3 m6 s66 d:> -f 1,7,11,15,19,23 FORTRAN -p 1,5,9,13,17,21,25,29,33,37,41,45,49,53,57,61 PL/I -s 1,10,55 SNOBOL -u 1,12,20,44 UNIVAC 1100 Assembler Repetitive -n A repetitive specification requests tabs at columns 1+n, 1+2*n, etc., where n is a single-digit decimal number. Of particular importance is the value 8: this represents the UNIX system ``standard'' tab setting, and is the most likely tab setting to be found at a terminal. When -0 is used, the tab stops are cleared and no new ones are set. Arbitrary See OPERANDS. File -file If the name of a file is given, tabs reads the first line of the file, searching for a format specification (see fspec(4)). If it finds one there, it sets the tab stops according to it, otherwise it sets them as -8. This type of specification may be used to make sure that a tabbed file is printed with correct tab settings, and would be used with the pr command: example% tabs - file; pr file Tab and margin setting is performed via the standard output. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: n1[,n2,...] The arbitrary format consists of tab-stop values separated by commas or spaces. The tab-stop values must be positive deci- mal integers in ascending order. Up to 40 numbers are allowed. If any number (except the first one) is preceded by a plus sign, it is taken as an increment to be added to the previous value. Thus, the formats 1,10,20,30, and 1,10,+10,+10 are considered identical. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the tabs command The following command is an example using -code ( canned specification) to set tabs to the settings required by the IBM assembler: columns 1, 10, 16, 36, 72: example% tabs -a The next command is an example of using -n (repetitive specification), where n is 8, causes tabs to be set every eighth position: 1+(1*8), 1+(2*8), ... which evaluate to columns 9, 17, ...: example% tabs -8 This command uses n1,n2,... (arbitrary specification) to set tabs at columns 1, 8, and 36: example% tabs 1,8,36 The last command is an example of using -file (file specification) to indicate that tabs should be set according to the first line of $HOME/fspec.list/att4425 (see fspec(4)). example% tabs -$HOME/fspec.list/att4425 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tabs: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. TERM Determine the terminal type. If this variable is unset or null, and if the -T option is not specified, terminal type ansi+tabs will be used. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
expand(1), newform(1), pr(1), stty(1), tput(1), fspec(4), terminfo(4), attributes(5), environ(5), term(5), standards(5) NOTES
There is no consistency among different terminals regarding ways of clearing tabs and setting the left margin. tabs clears only 20 tabs (on terminals requiring a long sequence), but is willing to set 64. The tabspec used with the tabs command is different from the one used with the newform command. For example, tabs -8 sets every eighth position; whereas newform -i-8 indicates that tabs are set every eighth position. SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 tabs(1)