Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A simple Backup script
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions A simple Backup script Post 302607668 by Skrynesaver on Thursday 15th of March 2012 04:25:35 AM
Old 03-15-2012
In order to avoid file name collisions you will need to recreate the directory structure under argv[2] see dirname $file so the script would look a bit like this.
Iterate over the filenames listed in argv[1]
if the named file exists and is readable
get the directory name
if there is not a corresponding directory under argv[2]
make a corresponding directory under argv[2] (check out the -p flag of mkdir)
copy the existing file into this new directory
And that's it

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff. Backup Script Using TAR. Should be simple.

I'm specifically trying to find help or insight on using the --incremental ('-G') option for creating a tar. Please resist the urge to tell me to use --listed-incremental ('-g') option. That's fairly well documented in the GNU tar manual. GNU tar 1.19 This is what the manual does say in section... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: protienplant
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Simple backup (cp) script but incremental

Hi all, I would need a rather simple bash backup script that loops throught the (local) users and for each users backs up (cp!) its /home/username folder. About the functionalities: The script has to run every 2 hours (that's cron, so don't mind about that) and the files should be copied to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurens
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple shell script to backup

Hello - I am in process of deleting many files which are older than 4 weeks. For example I am inside: /subsystem/prod/ Files are with various extentions, but anything older than 4 weeks should be deleted. What would be the most simplest script to acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple .sh and alias or ? whatever. Do backup!

Hi , Using bash shell (mintty) in cygwin/windows env. for some time and having issues with most basic commands. Will be quite easy to get er done once I know how , just like magic tricks. I need either alias OR shell script to change windows to posix path AND put that line back -input OR .cd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sircuts
2 Replies
mvdir(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mvdir dirname name DESCRIPTION
mvdir moves directories within a file system. dirname must be a directory. If name does not exist, it will be created as a directory. If name does exist, and is a directory, dirname will be created as name/dirname. dirname and name may not be on the same path; that is, one may not be subordinate to the other. For example: example% mvdir x/y x/z is legal, but example% mvdir x/y x/y/z is not. OPERANDS
dirname The name of the directory that is to be moved to another directory in the filesystem. name The name of the directory into which dirname is to be moved. If name does not exist, it will be created. It may not be on the same path as dirname. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mvdir when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXIT STATUS
0 Successful operation. >0 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkdir(1), mv(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Mar 1997 mvdir(1M)