Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting error in this expression: value of value Post 302606848 by aashish.sharma8 on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 02:35:20 AM
Old 03-13-2012
Thank you methyl.

This one worked for me : eval ABC_SOURCE='$'${TYPE}_SOURCE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression

I had seen this error for the first time ..... error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression please help.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expression Error in AWK

I have a file "fwcsales_filenames.txt" which has a list of file names that are supposed to be copied to another directory. In addition to that, I am trying to extract the date part and write to the log. I am getting the regular expression error when trying to strip the date part using the "ll"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhunk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

integer expression expected error

I'm a beginner so I might make beginner mistakes. I want to count the "#define" directives in every .C file I get the following errors: ./lab1.sh: line 5: ndef: command not found ./lab1.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh for x in *. do ndef = 'grep -c \#define $x' if ; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dark_knight
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

One more expression syntax error

HI again, still working on the assignment, which is really hard given we just started unix 4 weeks ago. This script should change the permission for the user depending if its x, w or r, to the opposite. When i try to run it, I am getting expression error. Can you spot where the problem is? I really... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morava
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with Expression

Hi All, am trying to add two Inputs i.e., $1 and $2, Code #!/bin/sh $num_sum=`expr $1+$2` echo "Sum = $num_sum" am giving statement sh arithemetic.sh 20 10 am getting error arithemetic.sh: line 2: =20+10: command not found Sum = I want Output as Sum = 30, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnix
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if expression syntax error

#! /bin/csh set umr=UMR foreach i ( `ls`) set file_nm=$i set bh_nm=`echo $file_nm | cut -d"_" -f2` if($bh_nm !=$umr) then { set bh_ext=`echo $file_nm | cut -d"_" -f4` set bh_num_nm="$bh_nm $bh_ext a .txt" mv $file_nm $bh_num_nm } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: integer expression expected

root@server01 # df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}' 252M root@server01 # root@server01 # cat /usr/local/tmpchk.sh #!/bin/sh x=`df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}'` if ; then rm -fr /tmp/somefolder/ else echo "its small" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if: expression syntax error in gawk

I'm pretty new to shell scripting, but I am catching on quick. I did see one of the stickied threads about the csh, and I think this is relevant, but I don't understand enough to make a decision based on it. So as you'll see below, I use the |csh pipe, and if that is not correct, I'm certainly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macman104
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Observing error :syntax error in expression

#!/bin/bash a1="04:29:39 - System health check failed" i=$1 echo "a $((a$i))" The script above gives the following error $113> sh tryt.sh 1 tryt.sh: line 6: 04:29:39 - System health check failed: syntax error in expression (error token is ":29:39 - System health check failed") It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
1 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)