Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XOR two strings
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers XOR two strings Post 302604851 by anil_uvce on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:38:52 AM
Old 03-06-2012
i have this code
a_xor_b=$(( $a ^ $b ))
were a and b both are strings

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate two strings or several strings into one string in B-shell?

like connect "summer" and "winter" to "summerwinter"? Can anybody help me? thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fontana
2 Replies

2. Programming

resetting counter using bitwise XOR

Hi ! How to reset a variable to 0 after a reset value, say 10 using bitwise XOR. For example, int cnt=0; if(cnt<10) cnt++; else cnt = 0; How can we achieve this by using XOR only. thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrgubbala
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

xor 2 values in ksh?

i have to xor two variables in ksh. how to do that? tia, DN2 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DukeNuke2
5 Replies

4. Programming

A trivial XOR doubt in a program

Hi, I am trying to reverse a string using the following program utilizing the Exclusive OR bit operation: int main() { char str = "Quraish"; char *p = str, temp; char *q = str + strlen(str) - 1; while ( p != q ) { if (*p != *q) { *p ^= *q; *q ^= *p; *p ^= *q;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2

Hello guys, should be a very easy questn for you: I need to delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2. like file2: word1_word2_ word3_word5_ word3_word4_ word6_word7_ file1: word1_word2_otherwords..,word3_word5_others... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XOR between strings

I am aware of truth table for XOR between binary values . Out of curious in would like to know how XOR works between 2 strings which contain alphabets . For example A ^ B How it works internally? Please help me to understand this Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

8. FAQ Submission Queue

Analysis in bitwise XOR

The purpose of this article is revealing the unrevealed parts of the bitwise XOR. As we aware, the truth table for the XOR operator is : A B A^B 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 For example , 1^2 will be calculated as given below: First the operands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
XSTR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   XSTR(1)

NAME
xstr -- extract strings from C programs to implement shared strings SYNOPSIS
xstr [-cv] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The xstr utility maintains a file strings into which strings in component parts of a large program are hashed. These strings are replaced with references to this common area. This serves to implement shared constant strings, most useful if they are also read-only. The following options are available: - Read from the standard input. -c Extract the strings from the C source file or the standard input (-), replacing string references by expressions of the form (&xstr[number]) for some number. An appropriate declaration of xstr is prepended to the file. The resulting C text is placed in the file x.c, to then be compiled. The strings from this file are placed in the strings data base if they are not there already. Repeated strings and strings which are suffixes of existing strings do not cause changes to the data base. -v Verbose mode. After all components of a large program have been compiled a file xs.c declaring the common xstr space can be created by a command of the form xstr The file xs.c should then be compiled and loaded with the rest of the program. If possible, the array can be made read-only (shared) saving space and swap overhead. The xstr utility can also be used on a single file. A command xstr name creates files x.c and xs.c as before, without using or affecting any strings file in the same directory. It may be useful to run xstr after the C preprocessor if any macro definitions yield strings or if there is conditional code which contains strings which may not, in fact, be needed. An appropriate command sequence for running xstr after the C preprocessor is: cc -E name.c | xstr -c - cc -c x.c mv x.o name.o The xstr utility does not touch the file strings unless new items are added, thus make(1) can avoid remaking xs.o unless truly necessary. FILES
strings data base of strings x.c massaged C source xs.c C source for definition of array xstr /tmp/xs* temporary file when ``xstr name'' does not touch strings SEE ALSO
mkstr(1) HISTORY
The xstr command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
If a string is a suffix of another string in the data base, but the shorter string is seen first by xstr both strings will be placed in the data base, when just placing the longer one there will do. BSD
December 30, 1993 BSD