Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl - Regular Expressions - Match complete word only Post 302602956 by forums123456 on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 06:58:05 PM
Old 02-28-2012
Perl - Regular Expressions - Match complete word only

Hi Team,

I have two strings like:
Code:
xxx|yyy|Arizona Cardinals| Tell Cardinals | Cardinals
bbb|Bell Earn, Jr | Bell Earn | Jayhawks | hawks

I have a lookup file which has a set of strings. These need to be removed from above two strings

Lookup file Contents:
Code:
Bell Earn, Jr
hawks
Arizona Cardinals

Final output should be like:
Code:
xxx|yyy| Tell Cardinals | Cardinals
bbb| Bell Earn | Jayhawks

What i am trying to do is, complete word need to be removed. Partial matches should not be removed.
Jayhawks in 2nd string should remain as is ( hawks should not match to Jayhawks )
Cardinals in first string should not be removed.

How can i just remove complete word? I tried to use boundary \b, but this is causing issues with Bell Earn, Jr
Bell Earn, Jr have a comma in it and so only Bell Earn is removed. , Jr are retained which is not i am looking for.
I appreciate your responses.

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-29-2012 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expressions...

I am writing script that will act like the 'comm' utility. My problem is when trying to read whether the user has entered -123 or -1 or -1...etc. I currently have: if(m/??/g){ print "Good.\n"; } So, this should check for all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DrRo183
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expressions HELP - PERL

Hello, $line=USING (FILE '/TEST1/FILENAME'5000) I want to reterive the value between ' and ) which is 5000 here. i have tried out the following expressions ... Type 1 : $Var1=`sed -e 's/.*\' //' -e 's\).*$/' $line`; Type 2 : $Var1=`echo $line | awk -F"\'" '{print $2}' | awk -F"\\)"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions HELP - PERL

Hello, $line=USING (FILE '/TEST1/FILENAME'5000) I want to reterive the value between ' and ) which is 5000 here. i have tried out the following expressions ... Type 1 : $Var1=`sed -e 's/.*\' //' -e 's\).*$/' $line`; Type 2 : $Var1=`echo $line | awk -F"\'" '{print $2}' | awk -F"\\)"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regular expressions and field search

Hello guys/gals, i am sorry as this is probably very simply but i am slowly learning perl and need to convert some old korn shell scripts. I need to be able to search a file line by line but only match a string at particular location on that line, for example character 20-30. So my file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamox
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions - Perl

Hello everybody, I am trying to connect from hp-ux to win 2003 using perl's Net::Telnet module. Seeing the examples in couple of web sites, I saw I have to declare a Prompt => Can somebody please tell me what my regular expression should be? The prompt after I log in is: ... login:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whatever
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions using perl script

i have a set of regular expressions. The words in the regular expression should be used to replace the i/p with hyphens '---'. i need perl script to evaluate these regular expression. the words in the regexes when found in the i/p file should be replaced with hyphens '---'. the set of regular... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sgiri1
3 Replies

7. Programming

Which language is best suited for regular expressions perl,python.ruby ?

Hello all, i am in a bit of dilema here. i dont know any thing about perl or python. only know a little bit of awk. now unable to take a decission as to which language to go for. my requirement is building a testing framework.suite which will execute ssytem comands remotely on unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Regular Expressions

im trying to extract some tags between and in a file..for eg..the file format is I want the and extracted from the file i.e the tags which is present b/w and I have the regex for extracting the tags from the whole file but how to specify my search within the and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkrishna89
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular Expression to match files in Perl

Hi Everybody! I need some help with a regular expression in Perl that will match files named messages, but also files named message.1, message.2 and so on. So really I need one that will find messages and messages that might be followed by a period and a digit without matching other files like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hax0rc1ph3r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Regular Expressions :Looking for one word on multiple lines.

Im looking for a bash solution that will use Regular Expressions (not perl, sed or awk) to check the example data below and then give me a status. which would be just simply Match or Mismatch. SYS PS1 is present. Fan status: Normal Input Voltage status: Normal ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies
SEQ(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    SEQ(1)

NAME
seq -- print sequences of numbers SYNOPSIS
seq [-w] [-f format] [-s string] [-t string] [first [incr]] last DESCRIPTION
The seq utility prints a sequence of numbers, one per line (default), from first (default 1), to near last as possible, in increments of incr (default 1). When first is larger than last the default incr is -1. All numbers are interpreted as floating point. Normally integer values are printed as decimal integers. The seq utility accepts the following options: -f format Use a printf(3) style format to print each number. Only the E, e, f, G, g, and % conversion characters are valid, along with any optional flags and an optional numeric minimum field width or precision. The format can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is %g. -s string Use string to separate numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is . -t string Use string to terminate sequence of numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). This option is useful when the default separator does not contain a . -w Equalize the widths of all numbers by padding with zeros as necessary. This option has no effect with the -f option. If any sequence numbers will be printed in exponential notation, the default conversion is changed to %e. The seq utility exits 0 on success and non-zero if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
# seq 1 3 1 2 3 # seq 3 1 3 2 1 # seq -w 0 .05 .1 0.00 0.05 0.10 SEE ALSO
jot(1), printf(1), printf(3) HISTORY
The seq command first appeared in Plan 9 from Bell Labs. A seq command appeared in NetBSD 3.0, and ported to FreeBSD 9.0. This command was based on the command of the same name in Plan 9 from Bell Labs and the GNU core utilities. The GNU seq command first appeared in the 1.13 shell utilities release. BUGS
The -w option does not handle the transition from pure floating point to exponent representation very well. The seq command is not bug for bug compatible with the Plan 9 from Bell Labs or GNU versions of seq. BSD
February 19, 2010 BSD