Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Configure $PATH in /.bash_profile or /etc/paths? Post 302601184 by Alexander4444 on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 04:43:09 AM
Old 02-23-2012
Configure $PATH in /.bash_profile or /etc/paths?

Hi - I am trying to include the MSQ.exe that I have downloaded for the sake of learning. My current /.bash_profile file reads:

PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.1/bin:/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin:$PATH
export PATH

-----------------------------------

interestingly, another file, /etc/paths reads:

/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin
/usr/local/bin

-----------------------------------

at the prompt, if I$ echo $PATH I get

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.1/bin:/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

almost a combination of the two minus the /usr/X11/bin.

What must I do to include all of the $PATH variable into either /.bash_profile or /etc/paths? Which one do I put it in? Which ever one it is, that is where I will put the path the the MSQ.exe file.

Lastly, what is telling the OS where to find the $PATH variable in the first place? It seems like there must be some instruction that is causing the OS to look in those two different places.

---------- Post updated at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:41 AM ----------

Thanks for any and all help on this!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing $PATH in .bash_profile

Hello, I'm trying to add my bin directory to my path by editing the .bash_profile. I'm adding the following: PATH=$HOME/bin But then when I type in "echo $PATH" my bin directory is not added. Do I need to do something to make this take affect or am I going about this wrong. :confused: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atama
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unrecognized Path in .bash_profile

Dear experts, I have installed Ruby in the following directory: $ pwd /home/ewijaya/.ruby $ ls bin lib share And I have also stated the PATH in my bash_profile like this: # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if ; then . ~/.bashrc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monkfan
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to add new paths to $PATH

Hi all, I downloaded a tarball of coreutils .... extracted only to find out that i had to build it... But when i executed ./configure, this is what i got checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11 checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11 configure: autobuild project... GNU... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_profile problem

Hi Guys, I modified my .bash_profile script , and tried to change the prompt. Following is the line of code in my .bash_profile script. export PS1=" \W " But I get the output as: \W This appears to be my prompt now. Any idea what should be done.. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Unavailable/Slow Network Paths in $PATH

At work, I'm in a Solaris environment working with csh, and $PATH is populated with anywhere between 10 and 20 entries. Last week, every command I issued (even "ls") took several seconds, if not an entire minute, to run. Once I moved "/home/sybase/bin" to the end of $PATH, certain commands... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheong87
2 Replies

6. Solaris

configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH

When i configure apache(2.2.15) on solaris-8 server it producing following error <configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH configure failed for srclib/apr > please help me any to fix this error. :confused: ---------- Post updated at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous update was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash_profile or .profile

Hi, happy new year. on AIX 6.1 , for user oracle , there are two files : bash_profile and .profile I do not know which one is executed when login ? How to know , More over in both of them we have : in .profile : ORACLE_HOME=/appli/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Removing Dead Paths And Unusable Path Solaris 9

Hi, One of our Solaris servers was peviously zoned and connected to 2 seperate arrays, one HP and the other EMC. The server is now only connected to the EMC. The sever has x2 single port HBA's. When running cfgadm I see the following: root@qwicprod /dev/rdsk]# cfgadm -al Ap_Id Type... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bash_profile question

Hello everyone, I'm trying to set my .bash_profile to change my primary prompt from this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:~>to this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:/home/rcarvall> Here's what my .bash_profile looks like right now: # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if ; then .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galileo1
2 Replies

10. Programming

Library/header path for ./configure

Hello, I am always confused about adding library path for ./configure when compiling software under Linux Debian based OS. For example the README of the software tells --with-boost=PATH specify directory for the boost header files --with-mpi=PATH specify prefix directory for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
svscanboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     svscanboot(8)

NAME
svscanboot - starts svscan(8) in the /service directory, with output and error messages logged through readproctitle(8). svscanboot is available in daemontools 0.75 and above. SYNOPSIS
svscanboot DESCRIPTION
svscanboot runs the pipeline svscan /service 2>&1 | readproctitle service errors: ..... with 400 dots. The last 400 bytes of error messages from svscan(8) will be visible to ps(1) through readproctitle(8). svscanboot sets $PATH to /command:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin (all in one line, no space) and clears all other environment variables. Program writers are encouraged to use globally allocated names in /command. SEE ALSO
supervise(8), svc(8), svok(8), svstat(8), svscan(8), readproctitle(8), fghack(8), pgrphack(8), multilog(8), tai64n(8), tai64nlocal(8), setuidgid(8), envuidgid(8), envdir(8), softlimit(8), setlock(8), ps(1) http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html http://cr.yp.to/slashcommand.html svscanboot(8)