Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C++ socket, fork & pipes
Top Forums Programming C++ socket, fork & pipes Post 302599601 by timmyyyyy on Friday 17th of February 2012 03:34:27 PM
Old 02-17-2012
Oh yes, I didn't see that. The solution was extremely simple, thanks for your clear answer!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interprocess communication using pipes and fork

I'm very worried. I have an assignment that is due in 3 weeks, and also tute exercises which I can't seem to understand and work out. Okay, the question: The parent process will convert the command arguments into integer values using atoi() and store them into an integer array which you will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scmay
2 Replies

3. Programming

regarding socket & mssage queue

hello , I have to write an application in which I had to implement both Socket Comminication and IPC- message queues. and that process should run in Infinite loop as well I had to continously check and send data through both type of communications... What should I use to implement it... I had... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
34 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pipes & print

Hi, I need to awk some data from some text files, basic stuff, eg: awk '/phrase/ {print $1,$2,$3}' file Which will print columns 1 to 3 of all lines containing "phrase" But what if I wanted to pipe just one of the columns to a command (in my case a date converter) as in: awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonny2Vests
4 Replies

5. Programming

C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix: socket & Co

Hello, I need help to replace the ................. of client.c that request the server implemented by server.c ------------------ Listing 1 - server.c /* Inclusion des différentes librairies nécessaires */ #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <string.h> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bounkolh
0 Replies

7. Programming

C Socket Client/Server Fork Loop

Hello people. I'm trying to do something like a search engine. Server runs in the background by using ./server & which has data from a textfile stored in an array. Client then runs by using ./client It will then prompt "Search for:" For example, if I searched for Products called Instant... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
0 Replies

8. Programming

C, unix, pipes, fork, recursion

Hi, I will try to keep my post as compressed as my title was. I am writing on pseudo code on a recursive function that I want to read from the one-above function-run and then give the result to the function-run down below until a stop is triggered. Example: $ ls -la | grep x | sort In my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarasque
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Troubles with pipes, fork, and dup2

I want to execute metasploit by two pipes to communicate with it, but I have troubles with that communication. When I run my program, I get this error: "stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device" and I don't receive the metasploit promt. just select an exploit. This is my code:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dano88
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about global environment variables & fork() exec()

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me on my question! I've been doing a lot of reading to try and find my answer... But I haven't had any luck What I'm trying to understand is where a child process inherits global environment variables from? I understand the exec()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
2 Replies
FORK(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork -- create a new process LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
fork() causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process (parent process) except for the following: o The child process has a unique process ID. o The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). o The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read(2) or write(2) by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. o The child process' resource utilizations are set to 0; see setrlimit(2). In general, the child process should call _exit(2) rather than exit(3). Otherwise, any stdio buffers that exist both in the parent and child will be flushed twice. Similarly, _exit(2) should be used to prevent atexit(3) routines from being called twice (once in the parent and once in the child). In case of a threaded program, only the thread calling fork() is still running in the child processes. Child processes of a threaded program have additional restrictions, a child must only call functions that are async-signal-safe. Very few functions are asynchronously safe and applications should make sure they call exec(3) as soon as possible. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fork() returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fork() will fail and no child process will be created if: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. This limit is configuration-depen- dent. [EAGAIN] The limit RLIMIT_NPROC on the total number of processes under execution by this user id would be exceeded. [ENOMEM] There is insufficient swap space for the new process. SEE ALSO
execve(2), setrlimit(2), vfork(2), wait(2), pthread_atfork(3) STANDARDS
The fork() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A fork() system call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 10, 2004 BSD