Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX/Linux/Distributions - driving me crazy... Post 302599182 by Dr. Nick on Thursday 16th of February 2012 11:15:26 AM
Old 02-16-2012
So, you guys say that my idea is not that bad, but takes a lot of time and practical experience?

So basically I should stick with my backtrack and gather experience using BSD or Gentoo anyways?
Learning by doing - first see what it's like and then decide from there? Look at how the professionals handle security and learn from that too?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix driving me crazy

:( :confused: what is performed by the following unix command: grep -v Jane project1.txt and grep ' 5\..' janet.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tendernisin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix or Linux distributions for a PC

Hi all, I'd like to install either Unix or Linux on my PC and I don't know which way to go- I've tried with HP-UX 11.11 and it failed but I've heard that LInux is the fastest growing operating system in the world.I am asking you thus what sort of Linux distribution would be the best choice for a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrian262
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pleas help..this is driving me crazy

Hi, I've created a script in csh that takes a file and checks it for mispelled words. Im almost done but I need to do two more things but I need help. First, when displaying an incorrect word to the user, I need to show the line of the input file that contains the word. Second,if the user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hckygoli31
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/Linux Distributions on VMware Workstation 6?

Which distributions are known to have great performance, but also excellent ease of use and compatibility on VMware Workstation 6? I have 2GB of real RAM in my system and Windows Vista Home Premium as a host operating system. I can almost always get away with alotting up to 1GB of RAM for my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrrrrrNiceGuy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL cgi script... extra character driving me crazy

I'm using a PERL cgi script that uses rrdtool to make graphs. I can't get the syntax correct to use a degree sign (alt+0176 like this °) and also using a variable. If I use single quotes, I can't call the variable. If I use double quotes, there is an extra symbol (Â) before the ° which goes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

/etc/init.d available in all Linux distributions?

Hi All, I would just like to know if the /etc/init.d directory which is used to hold the start up scripts is available in all linux distributions? Are there any exceptions One more question Is the command chkconfig available in all Linux distributions and used in a similar fashions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurubarancse
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape Characters are driving me crazy!

Hi everyone, Is there anywhere I can find a complete table of all characters that must be escaped by the various UNIX shells and scripting languages? It seems every command/shell/scripting language has different rules about what characters must be escaped. I do a lot of searching and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable with @ sign is driving me crazy

Ok so I am working on a command that is going to do a Dig @ a certain IP address which is enclosed in a variable. Now I thought I had this figure out because it works. The problem is that it does not ALWAYS work. the variable is IP=192.168.1.1 the commands I have tried are dig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix distributions?

I'm new in the UNIX world. I'm just wondering what are the different examples of unix distributions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j3ff_skull
2 Replies
CUBRID_GET_DB_PARAMETER(3)						 1						CUBRID_GET_DB_PARAMETER(3)

cubrid_get_db_parameter - Returns the CUBRID database parameters

SYNOPSIS
array cubrid_get_db_parameter (resource $conn_identifier) DESCRIPTION
This function returns the CUBRID database parameters or it returns FALSE on failure. It returns an associative array with the values for the following parameters: o PARAM_ISOLATION_LEVEL o PARAM_LOCK_TIMEOUT o PARAM_MAX_STRING_LENGTH o PARAM_AUTO_COMMIT Database parameters +----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Parameter | | | | | | | Description | | | | +----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |PARAM_ISOLATION_LEVEL | | | | | | | The transaction isolation level. | | | | | LOCK_TIMEOUT | | | | | | | CUBRID provides the lock timeout feature, which | | | sets the waiting time (in seconds) for the lock | | | until the transaction lock setting is allowed. | | | The default value of the lock_timeout_in_secs | | | parameter is -1, which means the application | | | client will wait indefinitely until the transac- | | | tion lock is allowed. | | | | | PARAM_AUTO_COMMIT | | | | | | | In CUBRID PHP, auto-commit mode is disabled by | | | default for transaction management. It can be set | | | by using cubrid_set_autocommit(3). | | | | +----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ The following table shows the isolation levels from 1 to 6. It consists of table schema (row) and isolation level: Levels of Isolation Supported by CUBRID +--------------------------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Name | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | SERIALIZABLE (6) | | | | | | | In this isolation level, problems concerning con- | | | currency (e.g. dirty read, non-repeatable read, | | | phantom read, etc.) do not occur. | | | | |REPEATABLE READ CLASS with REPEATABLE READ | | |INSTANCES (5) | | | | | | | Another transaction T2 cannot update the schema | | | of table A while transaction T1 is viewing table | | | A. Transaction T1 may experience phantom read for | | | the record R that was inserted by another trans- | | | action T2 when it is repeatedly retrieving a spe- | | | cific record. | | | | |REPEATABLE READ CLASS with READ COMMITTED | | |INSTANCES (or CURSOR STABILITY) (4) | | | | | | | Another transaction T2 cannot update the schema | | | of table A while transaction T1 is viewing table | | | A. Transaction T1 may experience R read (non- | | | repeatable read) that was updated and committed | | | by another transaction T2 when it is repeatedly | | | retrieving the record R. | | | | |REPEATABLE READ CLASS with READ UNCOMMITTED | | |INSTANCES (3) | | | | | | | Default isolation level. Another transaction T2 | | | cannot update the schema of table A while trans- | | | action T1 is viewing table A. Transaction T1 may | | | experience R' read (dirty read) for the record | | | that was updated but not committed by another | | | transaction T2. | | | | |READ COMMITTED CLASS with READ COMMITTED | | |INSTANCES (2) | | | | | | | Transaction T1 may experience A' read (non- | | | repeatable read) for the table that was updated | | | and committed by another transaction T2 while it | | | is viewing table A repeatedly. Transaction T1 may | | | experience R' read (non-repeatable read) for the | | | record that was updated and committed by another | | | transaction T2 while it is retrieving the record | | | R repeatedly. | | | | |READ COMMITTED CLASS with READ UNCOMMITTED | | |INSTANCES (1) | | | | | | | Transaction T1 may experience A' read (non- | | | repeatable read) for the table that was updated | | | and committed by another transaction T2 while it | | | is repeatedly viewing table A. Transaction T1 may | | | experience R' read (dirty read) for the record | | | that was updated but not committed by another | | | transaction T2. | | | | +--------------------------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ PARAMETERS
o $conn_identifier - The CUBRID connection. If the connection identifier is not specified, the last link opened by cubrid_connect(3) is assumed. RETURN VALUES
An associative array with CUBRID database parameters; on success. FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 8.4.0 | | | | | | | Change LOCK_TIMEOUT to PARAM_LOCK_TIMEOUT, and | | | MAX_STRING_LENGTH to PARAM_MAX_STRING_LENGTH in | | | result. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 cubrid_get_db_parameter(3) example <?php printf("%-30s %s ", "CUBRID PHP Version:", cubrid_version()); printf(" "); $conn = cubrid_connect("localhost", 33088, "demodb"); if (!$conn) { die('Connect Error ('. cubrid_error_code() .')' . cubrid_error_msg()); } $db_params = cubrid_get_db_parameter($conn); while (list($param_name, $param_value) = each($db_params)) { printf("%-30s %s ", $param_name, $param_value); } printf(" "); $server_info = cubrid_get_server_info($conn); $client_info = cubrid_get_client_info(); printf("%-30s %s ", "Server Info:", $server_info); printf("%-30s %s ", "Client Info:", $client_info); printf(" "); $charset = cubrid_get_charset($conn); printf("%-30s %s ", "CUBRID Charset:", $charset); cubrid_disconnect($conn); ?> The above example will output: CUBRID PHP Version: 9.1.0.0001 PARAM_ISOLATION_LEVEL 3 LOCK_TIMEOUT -1 MAX_STRING_LENGTH 1073741823 PARAM_AUTO_COMMIT 1 Server Info: 9.1.0.0212 Client Info: 9.1.0 CUBRID Charset: iso8859-1 SEE ALSO
cubrid_set_db_parameter(3), cubrid_get_autocommit(3). PHP Documentation Group CUBRID_GET_DB_PARAMETER(3)