Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need urgent help with PERL scripting Post 302599175 by Scott on Thursday 16th of February 2012 11:03:19 AM
Old 02-16-2012
Everyone at the UNIX and Linux Forums gives their best effort to reply to all questions in a timely manner. For this reason, posting questions with subjects like "Urgent!" or "Emergency" and demanding a fast reply are not permitted in the regular forums.

For members who want a higher visibility to their questions, we suggest you post in the Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Forum. This forum is given a higher priority than our regular forums.

Posting a new question in the Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Forum requires forum Bits. We monitor this forum to help people with emergencies, but we do not not guarantee response time or best answers. However, we will treat your post with a higher priority and give our best efforts to help you.

If you have posted a question in the regular forum with a subject "Urgent" "Emergency" or similar idea, we will, more-than-likely, close your thread and post this reply, redirecting you to the proper forum.

Of course, you can always post a descriptive subject text, remove words like "Urgent" etc. (from your subject and post) and post in the regular forums at any time.

Thank you.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in shell scripting......urgent

Dear friends, please help me to solve following problem. I'm running a frontend application from which i'll be invoking the shell script with arguments as given below -driver -w -p "ABC XYZ" -S -ds con -dn "abc xyz" i am getting $1=-driver $2=-w $3=-p $4="ABC $5=XYZ" $6=-S $7=-ds... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me out:-Its Urgent-C Shell Scripting

Hi Friends, I am new to this forum as well as new to shell scripting. I have a problem here and i need someone to solve this. Let us consider there are two processes(abc & def).There is a script which kills these two processes(i.e killtheprocess abc). Here abc is the argument . There... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prince89
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Umbrella Scripting(very Urgent)

Hi All, Can anybody help me to write the umbrella script for the following? I have three steps to do. STEP 1: CONVERT XML files to PS files STEP 2: CONVERT ALL PS FILES TO PDF FILES STEP 3: FTPING ALL PDF FILES TO THE SERVER. I have the codes for the above three steps. Now I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Korn Shell scripting Help Pleaaaase...

Hello All, Can someone help me to set a user's password from the script using korn shell. The password change is a one time password after user account creation. I tried providing the input file as the value for password field but password change requires tty so my password from an input file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

it's urgent ! round number in perl scripting

my $number = 12.345673412 I need 3 digits after decimal or after dot(.) i mean , i need only 12.345 I used int(), ceil(), floor() but it gives me only 12 I need it. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

9. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies
msh(1)							      General Commands Manual							    msh(1)

NAME
msh - MH shell (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
msh [-help] [-prompt string] [file] OPTIONS
Prints a list of the valid options for this command. Sets the prompt for msh. If the string you specify includes white space, you must enclose it in double quotes ("). If you do not specify this option, the default prompt is (msh). The following defaults are used by msh: file defaults to -prompt (msh) DESCRIPTION
The command msh is an interactive program that implements a subset of the normal MH commands operating on a single file in packf format. That is, msh is used to read a file that contains a number of messages, as opposed to the standard MH style of reading a number of files, each file being a separate message in a folder. The chief advantage of msh is that, unlike the normal MH style, it allows a file to have more than one message in it. In addition, msh can be used on other files, such as message archives which have been packed using packf. When invoked, msh reads the named file, and enters a command loop. You can type most of the normal MH commands. The syntax and semantics of these commands typed to msh are identical to their MH counterparts. In cases where the nature of msh would be inconsistent with the way MH works (for example, specifying a +folder with some commands), msh will duly inform you. The commands that msh currently supports are: ali burst comp dist folder forw inc mark mhmail msgchk next packf pick prev refile repl rmm scan send show sortm whatnow whom In addition, msh has a help command which gives a brief overview of all the msh options. To terminate msh, either type <CTRL/D>, or use the quit command. If the file is writable and has been modified, then using quit will ask you if the file should be updated. A redirection facility is supported by msh. Commands may be followed by one of the following standard symbols: Open an interprocess chan- nel; connect output to another command. Write output to file. Append output to file. If file starts with a tilde (~), then a C-shell-like expansion takes place. Note that commands are interpreted by sh(1). When parsing commands to the left of any redirection symbol, msh will honor the backslash () as the quote next-character symbol, and dou- ble quotes (") as quote-word delimiters. All other input tokens are separated by white space (spaces and tabs). You may wish to use an alternative profile for the commands that msh executes; see mh_profile(4) for details of the $MH environment vari- able. RESTRICTIONS
The msh shell is not the C-shell, and a lot of the facilities provided by the latter are not present in the former. In particular, msh does not support back-quoting, history substitutions, variable substitutions, or alias substitutions. msh does not understand back-quoting. The only effective way to use pick inside msh is to always use the seq select option. If you add the following line to your pick will work equally well from both the shell and msh: pick: -seq select -list There is a strict limit of messages per file in packf format which msh can handle. Usually, this limit is 1000 messages. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your Mail directory Msg-Protect: To set protections when creating a new file fileproc: Program to file messages showproc: Program to show messages FILES
The user profile. The system customization file. SEE ALSO
csh(1), packf(1), sh(1), mh_profile(4) msh(1)