Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash - countdown timer
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash - countdown timer Post 302597802 by drl on Sunday 12th of February 2012 08:41:55 AM
Old 02-12-2012
Hi.

If you have only one window, then you could use screen:
Code:
       Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical
       terminal between several processes (typically interactive shells).
       Each virtual terminal provides the functions of a DEC VT100 terminal ...

-- excerpt from man screen

Screen can split the current window into parts, see the split section.

It may take some time to get used to doing things with screen, but depending on your circumstances, it may be easier than other approaches.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script - loop to countdown

I am taking a class in UNIX and have written a script that needs to countdown from a number that is read in from the keyboard to zero. If no number is given the start of the countdown should default to 10. I can't get this to do the default #! /bin/sh echo Enter a number here to countdown... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: froggwife
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display runnning countdown in a bash script?

I am looking for a way to display on a single line, a running countdown for a given amount of time in a terminal using a bash script. I am looking for this to use as part of a larger bash script that captures Video. The script sets up a bunch of parameters for DVgrab, and one of the parameters... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starcast
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

countdown in unix?

is there a script to preform a countdown from 10 seconds to 0? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

countdown to christmas

was wondering if there was a script that would countdiwn the days until christmas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop! (the countdown!) :-) shell script help

Hi guys, I've found two nifty little scripts on these forums one which detects if the F5 key has been pressed: #/bin/sh _key() { local kp ESC=$'\e' _KEY= read -d '' -sn1 _KEY case $_KEY in "$ESC") while read -d '' -sn1 -t1 kp do _KEY=$_KEY$kp ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone know of any FUN countdown script

Hi all, Does anyone know of any FUN countdown script that I can use for my script? At the moment, am just using sleep 10 or more and then print stuff into the screen to allow more time for the user to decide whether they want to continue running the script or abort? Just thought of wanting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script countdown

In the below bash when the perl is it possible to hide the commands from running on screen and display a process countdown? For example, on the cygwin screen now the user sees each process in the command running as running protocol refGene, running protocol popfreq_all, etc... Could a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash process timer

I have a bash with several processes in it, that I would like to include a progress bar or percentage complete. Below are two separate processes that, so the user knows that something is happening, there is an an indicator for each process. Maybe, at the start of each new process a printf the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Countdown timer with seconds

I would like this to work with seconds as well. #!/bin/bash # if ; then echo "Incorrect usage ! Example:" echo './CountDown.sh -d "Jun 10 2011 16:06"' echo 'or' echo './CountDown.sh -m 90' exit 1 fi now=`date +%s` if ; then until=`date -d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Banner Countdown Timer

Hello. I am pretty new to unix and shell scripting and I was wondering if there might be a way to banner a countdown timer inside a script. We currently have an existing script that does a 2 minute sleep but thought it might be fun to actually make it banner a countdown timer until it is finished.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbelina
3 Replies
BlackPixelOfScreen(3)						  XLIB FUNCTIONS					     BlackPixelOfScreen(3)

NAME
BlackPixelOfScreen, WhitePixelOfScreen, CellsOfScreen, DefaultColormapOfScreen, DefaultDepthOfScreen, DefaultGCOfScreen, DefaultVisualOf- Screen, DoesBackingStore, DoesSaveUnders, DisplayOfScreen, XScreenNumberOfScreen, EventMaskOfScreen, HeightOfScreen, HeightMMOfScreen, Max- CmapsOfScreen, MinCmapsOfScreen, PlanesOfScreen, RootWindowOfScreen, WidthOfScreen, WidthMMOfScreen - screen information functions and macros SYNTAX
unsigned long BlackPixelOfScreen(Screen *screen); unsigned long WhitePixelOfScreen(Screen *screen); int CellsOfScreen(Screen *screen); Colormap DefaultColormapOfScreen(Screen *screen); int DefaultDepthOfScreen(Screen *screen); GC DefaultGCOfScreen(Screen *screen); Visual *DefaultVisualOfScreen(Screen *screen); int DoesBackingStore(Screen *screen); Bool DoesSaveUnders(Screen *screen); Display *DisplayOfScreen(Screen *screen); int XScreenNumberOfScreen(Screen *screen); long EventMaskOfScreen(Screen *screen); int HeightOfScreen(Screen *screen); int HeightMMOfScreen(Screen *screen); int MaxCmapsOfScreen(Screen *screen); int MinCmapsOfScreen(Screen *screen); int PlanesOfScreen(Screen *screen); Window RootWindowOfScreen(Screen *screen); int WidthOfScreen(Screen *screen); int WidthMMOfScreen(Screen *screen); ARGUMENTS
screen Specifies the appropriate Screen structure. DESCRIPTION
The BlackPixelOfScreen macro returns the black pixel value of the specified screen. The WhitePixelOfScreen macro returns the white pixel value of the specified screen. The CellsOfScreen macro returns the number of colormap cells in the default colormap of the specified screen. The DefaultColormapOfScreen macro returns the default colormap of the specified screen. The DefaultDepthOfScreen macro returns the default depth of the root window of the specified screen. The DefaultGCOfScreen macro returns the default GC of the specified screen, which has the same depth as the root window of the screen. The DefaultVisualOfScreen macro returns the default visual of the specified screen. The DoesBackingStore macro returns WhenMapped, NotUseful, or Always, which indicate whether the screen supports backing stores. The DoesSaveUnders macro returns a Boolean value indicating whether the screen supports save unders. The DisplayOfScreen macro returns the display of the specified screen. The XScreenNumberOfScreen function returns the screen index number of the specified screen. The EventMaskOfScreen macro returns the root event mask of the root window for the specified screen at connection setup. The HeightOfScreen macro returns the height of the specified screen. The HeightMMOfScreen macro returns the height of the specified screen in millimeters. The MaxCmapsOfScreen macro returns the maximum number of installed colormaps supported by the specified screen. The MinCmapsOfScreen macro returns the minimum number of installed colormaps supported by the specified screen. The PlanesOfScreen macro returns the number of planes in the root window of the specified screen. The RootWindowOfScreen macro returns the root window of the specified screen. The WidthOfScreen macro returns the width of the specified screen. The WidthMMOfScreen macro returns the width of the specified screen in millimeters. SEE ALSO
AllPlanes(3), ImageByteOrder(3), IsCursorKey(3) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 BlackPixelOfScreen(3)