Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Menu using shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Menu using shell script Post 302596132 by gary_w on Monday 6th of February 2012 03:54:43 PM
Old 02-06-2012
DOH! Here's the corrected example then which works. Thanks Corona688!
Code:
#!/usr/dt/bin/dtksh

typeset -r -x DYNMENUFILE=${0}.dat  # Menu file
typeset -r MAINPROMPT="Enter your selection: "
typeset -x PS3=$MAINPROMPT  # PS3 is the prompt for the select construct.
typeset -r RESPONSEFILE="${0}_${USER}.out"

> $RESPONSEFILE  # Create or clear the response file.

# Create file desriptor 5 as input from the menu file, as the select construct needs to 
# read from stdin too.
exec 5<$DYNMENUFILE

# Read lines from the file descriptor associated with the menu file.
while IFS="|" read -u5 heading option1_in option2_in option3_in option4_in the_rest
do
  #  Loop until a valid option is entered.
  while :
  do
   clear
    print "\n$heading\n"
    select option in $option1_in $option2_in $option3_in $option4_in
    do
      case $REPLY in   # REPLY is set by the select construct,
                       # and is the number of the selection.
        1) ;&  # Fall through
        2) ;&  # Fall through
        3) ;&  # Fall through
        4) print "${heading}: $option" >> $RESPONSEFILE
           print "\nYou selected: ${heading}: $option"
           sleep 2
           break 2  # Break out 2 levels (get the next menu line)
           ;;
        *) # Always code for the unexpected.
           print "\nUnknown option [${REPLY}]"
           sleep 2
           break # redisplay the current menu
           ;;
      esac
    done  # End select
  done  # End while true
done  # End reading menu items

# Close fd 5.
exec 5<&-

exit 0

Last edited by gary_w; 02-06-2012 at 05:00 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing korn shell script text Menu colors?

Is it possible to change the color of text in a korn shell script Menu? I can change the color of session text through my telnet client but I want to be able to change color text in the Korn shell menu to highlight certain items. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script: With Menu Option

I am attempting to create a shell script with the following capaciblities: 1. Listed options to choice from 2. Use to perform awk statements 3. Print a report with the awk results My questions are 1. How do I select more than one file for option #5 and #6 2. How to I create an... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jroberson
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to alter grub menu.lst

Hi folks, I have a dual-boot Ubuntu/Windows machine and I wanted to create a script to change the menu.lst file so it will change the default boot partition (this is so I can reload the machine remotely and allow it to boot to the Windows partition). Today I have to sudo cp a template file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppucci
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Menu Driven Shell Script which accepts1 to 5 options

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 1) Write a Menu Driven Shell Script which accepts1 to 5 options and performs the following actions for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaghya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu

hi guys, how would you do the following? I have a menu with 5 options in my shell script: 1. Run function 1 against files 2. Run function 2 against files 3. Run function 3 against files 4. Run function 4 against files 5. Run function 5 against files I'd like to be able to run multiple... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu problem

I have tried searching the forum but i haven't found a solution for this. I have a shell script that presents the users with menus. The menus branch out to sub menus. It is all hunky dory as long as i traverse forward. But if i am in a sub menu and return to the previous menu and choose any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A selection menu in a shell script

I'm writing a shell script and have a problem with selection when I issue the command, is there a way to automatically choose a selection number one after a selection menue appear Command 1-choice 2- choice 3-choice Thanks Sara (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu shell script help

Hi All, I have written a shell script that show menu driven option. My requirement is that in the menu driven option i want to select multiple choice. i.e if i want to select 1 or 1,2 or 1,2,3 or 2,3 etc .... Can some one help me in that My script. while true; do echo " " ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nawrajesh
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate the menu options using shell script

I have a menu option which will look as follows Select a menu option 1.change password 2.login as root user 3.show system version 4.quit Select> 1 please enter the new password: unix reenter the new password: unix press any key to enter (then displays again the menu options to enter the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivakumar6g
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include menu based options in Shell script?

Hi Friends, I have a menu based tool which requires input/option to proceed further. How to make a shell script ? eg: menu looks like Get_data.sh to continue (y/n) : Here I need to key in "y" to proceed. I want to prepare a script which should consider option y. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
5 Replies
mitem_value(3X) 														   mitem_value(3X)

NAME
mitem_value - set and get menu item values SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int set_item_value(ITEM *item, bool value); bool item_value(const ITEM *item); DESCRIPTION
If you turn off the menu option O_ONEVALUE (e.g., with set_menu_opts or menu_opts_off; see menu_opts(3X)), the menu becomes multi-valued; that is, more than one item may simultaneously be selected. In a multi_valued menu, you can used set_item_value to select the given menu item (second argument TRUE) or deselect it (second argument FALSE). RETURN VALUE
The function set_item_value returns one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). E_REQUEST_DENIED The menu driver could not process the request. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), menu(3X). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V menu library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. mitem_value(3X)