Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pass value to next command Post 302595458 by ezee on Friday 3rd of February 2012 07:52:17 AM
Old 02-03-2012
How to pass value to next command

I want to send value obtained from one command(left of |) to another command that is on right of the first one (right of |) for the following two commands:
Code:

raw=`ls <directory> | grep <files_name part>`
raw=${raw:0:4}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass hotname from command

I have a problem, which is, I have servers as $hostname : Serverxxd $hostname : Serverxxs $hostname : Serverxxl $hostname : Serverxxp d=dev, s=sit, l=stg, p=prd The packages will be in all the boxes and my script contains $ENV which I should be getting from 'hostname' I am not able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass command as a function parameter

Hi guys, can someome help with this question, I have defined a function that takes a command as a parameter, but when the command is executed from the function it will throw errors because what I believe is a special character escaping issue. I tried using the backslash to escape the pipe | and >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marouanix
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass variables in Expect command?

Hi All, I need to frame a unix script to logon to a unix box. The credentials needs to be obtained from a property file on the same location. I am trying to use 'expect' and 'spawn' command to meet this req. When I am passing values, these commands are working fine. but when I am trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailkarthik
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass file text into find command

Hi all, I have a large text file and also a smaller list of program names. I want to find out how many of those programs exist in the large text file. Can someone help me with the command/script please. The program list is along the lines of tranwe2 tranwe3 tranye5 etc so basically I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to pass value in sed command

Hi, I have a file a.xml containing the below <customerId>000</customerId> and a variable CUSTOMER_ID which is set to '333' Now I want to replace <customerId>000</customerId> with <customerId>333</customerId> by the below sed command and save the output in a file b.xml: sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RomitaaChawla@1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass Parameters to awk command

I need to pass values at runtime for the below awk command where l is the length and partial.txt is the file name. awk -v l=285 '{s="%-"l"s\n";printf(s,$0);}' partial.txt > temp1.txt; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot pass rsh and awk command into a variable

Hello, I'm having some issues getting a home dir from a remote server passed to a variable. Here is what I have so far: rsh server "(ls -ld /home*/user | awk '{print \$9}')" /home3/userThat works fine and brings back what I need. But when I try to add it to a variable it goes all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elcounto
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass Arguments to Command from Shell Script

Hi all, I am working on a project, in which I have to connect to Bluetooth low energy device. I am able to connect and do data transfer from command line. But I want to do from script Here is my script #!/bin/bash #sudo hcitool -i hci0 lescan sleep 1 sudo hcitool -i hci0 lecc --random... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin@embdes
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass ls command output to diff

Hi , Can some one help me how to pass ls command output to diff command ex : - ls *.xml will return files which have time stamps abc-<time-stamp>.xml xyz-<time-stamp>.xml diff abc-<time-stamp>.xml xyz-<time-stamp>.xml >> newfile.txt we need to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: techie_09
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass root password with su and command?

Hello, I have list of around 400 devices. I need to restart a service /etc/init.d/psap23.sh in all of them, but it should restart by root only. Those have some other kind of light Linux. There is no sudo package in that and we can't/shouldn't install. Direct root login is not allowed. I login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies
dfstab(4)							   File Formats 							 dfstab(4)

NAME
dfstab - file containing commands for sharing resources across a network DESCRIPTION
dfstab resides in directory /etc/dfs and contains commands for sharing resources across a network. dfstab gives a system administrator a uniform method of controlling the automatic sharing of local resources. Each line of the dfstab file consists of a share(1M) command. The dfstab file can be read by the shell to share all resources. System administrators can also prepare their own shell scripts to execute particular lines from dfstab. The contents of dfstab put into effect when the command shown below is run. See svcadm(1M). /usr/sbin/svcadm enable network/nfs/server SEE ALSO
share(1M), shareall(1M), sharemgr(1M), svcadm(1M) NOTES
Do not modify this file directly. This file is reconstructed and only maintained for backwards compatibility. Configuration lines could be lost. Use the sharemgr(1M) command for all share management. SunOS 5.11 15 Aug 2008 dfstab(4)