Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Generate filenames in a loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Generate filenames in a loop Post 302595274 by Corona688 on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 01:53:05 PM
Old 02-02-2012
That works fine in BASH too.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing filenames in a directory to a number within a loop

hey guys. i'm new to shell scripting but not new to programming. i want to write a script that will take all the files in the current directory that end with a particular filetype and change all their names to a number in order. so, it would take all the jpg files and sort them in alphabetical... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitorQ
30 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Patterns in Filenames

Hi, To start, I am using a bash shell on a G4 powerbook running Leopard. I am attempting to write a shell script that will automate the processing of satellite imagery. All the filenames are of the following construction: A2008196000500.L2 where A indicates the sensor, the next four... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting and using date from filenames in a loop

HIya, Having a dumb day whilst writing an archive process in Shell want to extract from the filename the date and archive into tar files based on this, I don't want to use mtime as it may not be the actual file date. The files are -rw-rw---- 1 user admin 100 Aug 29 11:10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badg3r
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through numbered filenames

Hi I'm very new to this script thing, so please be gentle. I am trying to get a command - the mach2qtl command in the code below - to loop through a set of files. Each command should take the same two .dat and .ped files, but the .mlinfo and .mlprob files with filenames including 'chrom1' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: polly_falconer
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whitespace in filenames in for loop in bash script

I'm trying to search all .odt files in a directory for a string in the text of the file. I've found a bash script that works, except that it can't handle whitespace in the filenames. #!/bin/bash if ; then echo "Usage: searchodt searchterm" exit 1 fi for file in $(ls *.odt); do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: triplemaya
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop with dashes in filenames causing weird output

Hi again, What i'm trying to accomplish here is search a large directory for certain filesames, read from a txt file and looping through it. For instance, one of my target names from the loop file is: 1ad55f47-c342-496b-a46d-ba7de0f1b434 My loop is constructed thusly, run in a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use perl to generate files with correct filenames?

Hi, I'm trying to use perl to generate files based on sections in a large textfile. This will create one file per section that starts with " ABC_": perl -n -e '/^ABC_/ and open FH, ">output_".$n++; print FH;' largefile.txt However, the output filenames will be on the form output_nn. This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yagi Uda
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For/While Loop to Increment Filenames in a Script

Daily stupid question. I want to increment the file name everytime the script is run. So for example if the filename is manager.log and I run the script, I want the next sequence to be manager.log1. So to be clear I only want it to increment when the script is executed. So ./script... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing FileNames

Hi, Its been a long time since I've done any shell scripting and I need some help here. Thanks in advance... I need this as a bourne or csh script running under SCO. In a folder I have a list of Backup files named with "TarBackup plus a date and time component suffix" like this; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stanlyn
2 Replies
GEN-CTL-IO(1)							      libctl							     GEN-CTL-IO(1)

NAME
gen-ctl-io - generate C interface code for libctl control files SYNOPSIS
gen-ctl-io [OPTION]... [spec-file] DESCRIPTION
gen-ctl-io generates C code to import/export the input/output variables used in a libctl control file. gen-ctl-io generates files like ctl-io.h and ctl-io.c. These files define global variables, data structures, and functions for the input/output variables, classes, and function interfaces defined in the spec-file argument, automating the interaction between C and Guile. The arguments such as --code and --header are used to control whether ctl-io.c or ctl-io.h, etcetera, are generated. If no argument is specified then both of these files are generated by default, for backwards compatibility. libctl is a free library to aid in interfacing scientific software with the GNU Guile scripting and extension language. Documentation for it may be found online at the libctl home page: http://ab-initio.mit.edu/libctl OPTIONS
--code Generate C (or C++) source code to implement the Guile interface functions. The default output file name is ctl-io.c (in C) or ctl- io.cpp (in C++). --header Generate the header file declaring the interface data types and functions. The default output file name is ctl-io.h (in C) or ctl- io.hpp (in C++). --swig Generate a SWIG interface definition file declaring automatic conversions for the various libctl data types. The default output file name is ctl-io.i. --cxx Generate C++ code instead of C code. -o file Use file as the output file name instead of the defaults (above). BUGS
Send bug reports to S. G. Johnson, stevenj@alum.mit.edu. AUTHORS
Written by Steven G. Johnson. libctl March 27, 2006 GEN-CTL-IO(1)