Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tcsh: how to prevent a foreach from terminating a script when the result is null? Post 302594124 by deepstructure on Monday 30th of January 2012 01:43:07 PM
Old 01-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by itkamaraj

if you set the "nonomatch" variable:
Code:
set nonomatch

then the C shell behaves like the Bourne Shell.
Ah, that seems to do the trick. Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminating script with CTRL+D

Hi, I'm trying to make a script that reads the console input and terminates with CTRL+D. It's absolutely basic but I don't know how to "read" the CTRL+D. I've tried a bunch of things like EOT=^D while //with & without quotations do read input echo $input done while while ] ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanchopansa
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminating child script with terminating the parent script

Hi I was working on a shell script with randomly shows a page of text from a randomly selected topic .As soon as the page is displayed it callers a timer script which keeps on running indefinitely until the timer script is killed by the user. This is where I have the problem,if I press... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script unexpectedly terminating

I now that this isnt the greatest code around. Im a network guy by trade not a programer .. but needed something to compare config files ... Anyway ... intermittently, the program terminates. Ive been looking at the code for a week trying to figure it out and Im stumped. Can anyone provide... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple tcsh question using foreach

I want to search line-by-line for a string in a file, and I want to do this to a series of files in a directory. I'm doing this in tcsh This works fine to do the search: while read i; do grep $i file2; done <file1.txt This also works fine to read a directory: foreach file ('/bin/ls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i terminating expect script without terminating SSH connection.

Hi all , i know i ask a lot of question but these are really hard to solve and important question. I send two scripts: expect.sh: #!/usr/local/bin/expect spawn ssh root@172.30.64.163 expect "login:" send "root\n" expect "password:" send "root\n^M" interact and son.sh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

prevent ssh from executing result in shell

Hi, I am writing a script on Solaris 10 and want to execute a remote ssh command. Normally this command should just return the value 0000000000002356 but when using ssh it seems it is passing the result to the shell to execute. ssh root@10.5.112.145 `/usr/bin/nawk -F\, '$1=="USG" && $2=="01"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

for / foreach syntax issues (in bash or tcsh)

So I am new to unix, and actually anything outside drag and drop with the mouse (been learning for about a week so far) . I have been using the foreach command in tcsh because I am working on a group of files. Basically what I need is to insert part of the filename as the first line in the file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepolypore
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

why the script is not terminating with proper results

Hi everyone, I am new to the linux.I wrote a small script and assigning two values to fname and lname and I want if the fname or lname are not given proper name like Toys or Gun the script should terminate and if they are given proper name it should execute.please help thanks:wall: #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: starter2011
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get following result using foreach command?

Dear all, For example, if data contains following numbers:1 2 3 4 5 6 I would like get like below using foreach command,1 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 1 6 2 3 2 4 2 5 2 6 3 4 3 5 3 6 4 5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ryan Kim
1 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)