Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to extract fields from etc/passwd file? Post 302593707 by strawhatluffy on Saturday 28th of January 2012 03:15:38 AM
Old 01-28-2012
oh thank you very much!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to extract a field from /etc/passwd file..

Hello, was looking for some help on extracting a field from the passwd file. So far I have made a copy of the passwd file and changed my rights so I can edit it. Every user's password is coded as an :x:, and my goal was to change that x to a blank, and then try to extract any user with that field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xBuRnTx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract fields for /etc/passwd

hi, i would like to extract the just name field from /etc/passwd file, and nothing else. ie grep pauline, and Pauline Fowler comes back. cheeers paul mc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mopimp
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract some common fields from 1 file that are presnt in another file

I have 2 files FILEA 720646363*PHILIPPINES 117183970*USA 116274291*USA 107940983*USA 107395824*USA 106632425*USA 105861926*USA 105208607*USA 053077046*USA 065428026*ENGLAND FILEB 001125236 001408905 002316511 002521094 020050725 035018308 052288735 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unxusr123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract fields from text file using delimiter!!

Hi All, I am new to unix scripting, please help me in solving this assignment.. I have a scenario, as follows: 1. i have a text file(read1.txt) with the following data sairam,123 kamal,122 etc.. 2. I have to write a unix... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut fields from /etc/passwd file into variables?

The script must ask the user to enter the user name and check whether the user exists in /etc/passwd (you must allow the partial usernames also). If the username exists, display the details as: List of users Login Name: User ID: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobletechnology
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd -S on linux- what are the fields?

I'm looking for some documentation on what the different fields mean in the output of passwd -S username: passwd -S foo foo PS 2012-03-20 0 70 3 -1 (Password set, MD5 crypt.) I think the date given is the date of the last password change, the 0 after that is the minimum password age, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract fields from a downloaded html file

I have around 100 html files and in each html file I have 5-6 such paragraphs of a company and I need to extract the Name of the company from either the one after "title" or "/company" and then the number of employees and finally the location . <div class="search_result"> <div... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract user accounts and home directory from /etc/passwd.

I am trying to obtain all user accounts and their respective home directories. /etc/passwd contains the required information, but I want to filter it to only show the uid,username and home directory path. I am working on a Solaris 11 machine. I made a little headway so far, but I got stuck... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to extract multiple values from file and add two additional fields

In the attached file I am trying to use awk to extract multiple values and create the tab-delimited desired output. In the output R_Index is a the sequential # and Pre_Enrichment is defaulted to .. I can extract from the values to the side of the keywords, but most are above and I can not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies
pwconv(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 pwconv(8)

NAME
pwconv - convert to shadow account SYNOPSIS
pwconv [-P path] DESCRIPTION
pwconv installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. It relies on the special password 'x' in the password field of the account. This value indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If /etc/shadow does not exist, pwconv creates this file, moves the user password to it and creates default aging informations with the help of the values of PASS_MIN_DAYS, PASS_MAX_DAYS and PASS_WARN_AGE from /etc/login.defs. The password field in /etc/passwd is replaced with the special character 'x'. If the /etc/shadow does exist, entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file are added to the /etc/shadow file. Accounts, which only exist in /etc/passwd, are added to /etc/shadow. Entries that are in /etc/shadow and not in /etc/passwd are removed from /etc/shadow. All passwords from /etc/passwd are moved to /etc/shadow and replaced with the special character 'x'. pwconv can be used for initial conversion and for updates later. OPTIONS
-P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. pwconv will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. FILES
passwd - user account information shadow - shadow user account information SEE ALSO
passwd(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5), shadow(5), pwck(8), pwunconv(8) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils January 2004 pwconv(8)