Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What file(s) am I?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What file(s) am I? Post 302591983 by absorber on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 06:33:29 AM
Old 01-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_w
You are /dev/null.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)

lol
I lol'd Smilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
This assumption is wrong. What was the full quote in context?

You the user are just an configurable data item.
I based this on what I've read (cs.bgu.ac.il/~arik/usail/concepts/filesystems/everything-is-a-file.html) and what other people told me about UNIX (-based) OS'es. IIRC among one of them was a Linux sysadmin.
Feel free to correct me though, I would love to learn why this assumption is wrong.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
SOCKSTAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       SOCKSTAT(1)

NAME
sockstat -- list open sockets SYNOPSIS
sockstat [-46clnu] [-f address_family] [-p ports] DESCRIPTION
The sockstat command lists open Internet or UNIX domain sockets. The following options are available: -4 Show AF_INET (IPv4) sockets. -6 Show AF_INET6 (IPv6) sockets. -c Show connected sockets. -f address_family Limit listed sockets to those of the specified address_family. The following address families are recognized: inet, for AF_INET; inet6, for AF_INET6; and local or unix, for AF_LOCAL. -l Show listening sockets. -n Numeric output only. No attempt will be made to look up symbolic names for addresses and ports. -p ports Only show Internet sockets if either the local or foreign port number is on the specified list. The ports argument is a comma- separated list of port numbers and ranges specified as first and last port separated by a dash. -u Show AF_LOCAL (UNIX) sockets. If neither -4, -6, nor -u are specified, sockstat will list sockets in all three domains. If neither -c nor -l are specified, sockstat will list both listening and connected sockets, as well as those sockets that are in neither state. The information listed for each socket is: USER The user who owns the socket. COMMAND The command which holds the socket. PID The process ID of the command which holds the socket. FD The file descriptor number of the socket. PROTO The transport protocol associated with the socket for Internet sockets, or the type of socket (stream, seqpacket or data- gram) for UNIX sockets. LOCAL ADDRESS For Internet sockets, this is the address to which the local end of the socket is bound (see getsockname(2)). For bound UNIX sockets, it is the socket's filename or ``-''. FOREIGN ADDRESS The address to which the foreign end of the socket is bound (see getpeername(2)) or ``-'' for unconnected UNIX sockets. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), netstat(1), inet(4), inet6(4), unix(4) HISTORY
The sockstat command appeared in FreeBSD 3.1. It was then rewritten for NetBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
This version of the sockstat command was written by Andrew Brown <atatat@NetBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org> and was adapted to match the NetBSD implementation by Andrew Brown <atatat@NetBSD.org>. BSD
July 14, 2006 BSD