Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read variable substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read variable substitution Post 302591778 by BisMarc on Friday 20th of January 2012 02:43:44 PM
Old 01-20-2012
read variable substitution

Allright so a quick question.

I'm building a script that will eventually do a full IP subnet scan.
It starts off by first entering an IP address, (capturing host and net ID comes after that) and I want it to use the current IP address if no input is given.

Is there a quick way to define the value of the variable I want to read when no value is given?

Now I've already figured out how to extract the IP address from ifconfig using:

Code:
CURRENTIP=$(ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{print $1}')

echo "Which IP subnet?"
read TARGETSUBNET

So what's the quickest way to go about in giving TARGETSUBNET the value of CURRENTIP when no input is given for read?

Cheers,

Marc

Last edited by joeyg; 01-20-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Please wrap scripts and text inside CodeTags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Substitution in a variable

Hey All, I'm trying to clean up a variable using sed but It dosn't seem to work. I'm trying to find all the spaces and replace them with "\ " (a slash and a space). For Example "Hello World" should become "Hello\ World". But it does nothing. If I put it directly into the command line it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spragueg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable substitution

Hi everyone, I have a simple question to ask : In a script that I'm writting, I need to create variables on-the-fly. For instance, for every iterartion of the following loop a var_X variable should be generated : #!/bin/ksh a="1 2 3" for i in $a do var_${i}=$i echo "${var_$i}" done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ck-18
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

I have run into a wall with my iptables firewall scripting. I am blocking all of the private side IP addresses on the WAN interface on systems running NAT. However, if the system is not running NAT and needs to allow access to the local LAN on the WAN interface, I need to block all but one of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable substitution

Hi, That might be pretty simple. How can I generate a variable name and get their value ? Thanks a lot. Something like: >CUSTOMER_NF=26 > object=CUSTOMER > echo ${object}_NF CUSTOMER_NF > echo ${${object}_NF} ksh: ${${object}_NF}: 0403-011 The specified substitution is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_NN
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution

file1.ksh #!/bin/ksh test5_create="I am a man" # test5 will be dynamic and the value will be passed from command line a=${1}_create echo $a # i need the output as "I am a man" ./file1.ksh test5 # i run the script like this any suggessions guys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

Hi , I have a variable as follows, Temp=`cat ABC.txt | cut -c5-` This will yeild a part of the date. say , 200912. I would like to substitute this variable's value in a filename. eg: File200912F.zip when i say File$TempF.zip , it is not substituting. Any help ? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution

Hi, I have to write a shell script in which I have to substitute a variable within a variable. For example, var1=aaa var2=file.$var1.txt The output should be, echo $var2 file.aaa.txt Can someone please help me in getting this. I tried using eval, but it didnt work. I might be using it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SCRIPT] read and substitution

Hi all, Actually I have a huge bash file like: port1=$PORT && if ; then ..... ....stuff port2=$PORT && if ; then ..... ...stuff port3=$PORT && if ; then ..... ...stuff port4=$PORT && if ; then ..... ...stuff port5=$PORT && if ; then ..... I would like to change the $port inside... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)