Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX I/O speed to CIFS mounted Windows Share Post 302591357 by Corona688 on Thursday 19th of January 2012 10:03:04 AM
Old 01-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kah00na
All I have is gigabit networks so I would expect it to go well over 12 MB/s, which is the theoretical limit for a 100 base T network.
What precisely are you using to bridge your gigabit networks together?

Our small work fileshare suffered chronically low speed even though our cabling and switches were all supposed to be gigabit rated. But one of our cheaper gigabit switches turned out to not be transferring at gigabit speeds even though it negotiated at 1000baseTX-FD. It cheated by spamming "pause" packets whenever network performance threatened to exceed 100baseTX transfer rates. It was a dlink product, of course. When we replaced it, everyone was amazed at the improvement.

I tracked it down by using ethtool to show how many pause packets were happening. I don't know the AIX equivalent but it's something to look for.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Mounting CIFS share

Is it possible to mount a samba share on a solaris system? I know this is possible with Linux using a fstype of smbfs. I am trying to aviod having to share the same directories via cifs and nfs on a solaris box to windows and solaris clients. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhm4
3 Replies

2. AIX

share with cifs

Im trying to share a directory with cifs my aix box with a windows server. but when I try to mount mount -v cifs -n 172.19.90.240/suc_user/tommy /directory /directory1/directory1 I got this error There was an error connecting the share or the server. Make sure the lsdev command shows that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ownership problem using a CIFS-mounted volume

Hello, I am trying to use a storage service for backing large amounts (terabytes) of data. The service uses Linux machines and allows mounting of their disks using the CIFS/SMB protocol. I do have the option of using rsync directly over the network without mounting. But in order to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy User home folders to mounted windows share

First of all, let me state that I am a windows admin. I have a windows share mounted to /mnt/server I need a script that will either login as sudo or perform commands with sudo rights. I need the script to copy all of the users /home folders to the mounted windows share. Now If I can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EricM
7 Replies

5. HP-UX

user can't write on cifs share but OK with Windows Explorer

Share ServerA ==== The Samba server is running on Samba version 3.0.22 based HP CIFS Server A.02.03.04 /opt/cifsclient/sbin/cifsclientd version: HP CIFS Client - Version A.02.02.02 smb file: My previous casw was thew user wasn't able to write to the share from Windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamoul
1 Replies

6. AIX

AIX cifs: mount Windows Server 2008 share ?

Hello, I've been using AIX cifs to mount windows XP shares with no problems till now. Now it's Windows Server 2008 R2 - no go: mount -v cifs -n host1/user1/pass1 /share1 /mountpt1 There was an error connecting the share or the server. Make sure the lsdev command shows that device nsmb0 is in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Can't connect to CIFS share

Hello guys, as of recently I'm unable to connect to one of my CIFS shares and I've no clue why that may be. As you can see in the first attachment a connection attempt to tony prompts for user credentials but when I try to connect to Videos it claims not being able to find the resource which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tony~
1 Replies

8. AIX

CIFS share re-export NFS

Hi Guys, need help here. i have windows server that share a folder C:/ABCDE i configure samba client in AIX server as /EDCBA and it working fine. then i want to share this /EDCBA to another AIX server using NFS. in the /etc/exportfs i have put /EDCBA... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prossits
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory / File changes on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux

I have a requirement to copy the changed file on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux to a remote FTP/SFTP server. I tried inotify-tools, but this didn't track the modified files. Has anyone tried incron or any other suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SupeAlok
1 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unable to access the CIFS share folder on windows by IP

Hi All Actually I have NAS Storage and Suddenly I got problem Unable to access the CIFS share folder on windows host, however the IP is pinging and the share is accessible via share name. The share can be accessed via share name only on Windows higher Windows Versions. Any help guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abu_SM
4 Replies
TI(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     TI(4)

NAME
ti -- Alteon Networks Tigon I and Tigon II gigabit Ethernet driver SYNOPSIS
ti* at pci? dev ? function ? DESCRIPTION
The ti driver provides support for PCI gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Alteon Networks Tigon gigabit Ethernet controller chip. The Tigon contains an embedded R4000 CPU, gigabit MAC, dual DMA channels and a PCI interface unit. The Tigon II contains two R4000 CPUs and other refinements. Either chip can be used in either a 32-bit or 64-bit PCI slot. Communication with the chip is achieved via PCI shared memory and bus master DMA. The Tigon I and II support hardware multicast address filtering, VLAN tag extraction and insertion, and jumbo Ethernet frames sizes up to 9000 bytes. Note that the Tigon I chipset is no longer in active production: all new adapters should come equipped with Tigon II chipsets. There are several PCI boards available from both Alteon and other vendors that use the Tigon chipset under OEM contract. The ti driver has been tested with the following Tigon-based adapters: o The Alteon AceNIC V gigabit (1000BASE-SX and 1000BASE-T variants) Ethernet adapter o The 3Com 3c985-SX gigabit Ethernet adapter o The Netgear GA620 gigabit (1000BASE-SX and 1000BASE-T variants) Ethernet adapter o The Digital EtherWORKS 1000SX PCI Gigabit Adapter (DEGPA) The following should also be supported but have not yet been tested: o Silicon Graphics PCI gigabit Ethernet adapter While the Tigon chipset supports 10, 100 and 1000Mbps speeds, support for 10 and 100Mbps speeds is only available on boards with the proper transceivers. Most adapters are only designed to work at 1000Mbps, however the driver should support those NICs that work at lower speeds as well. Support for jumbo frames is provided via the interface MTU setting. Selecting an MTU larger than 1500 bytes with the ifconfig(8) utility configures the adapter to receive and transmit jumbo frames. Using jumbo frames can greatly improve performance for certain tasks, such as file transfers and data streaming. The ti driver supports the following media types: autoselect Enable autoselection of the media type and options. 10baseT/UTP Set 10Mbps operation. The mediaopt option can also be used to select either full-duplex or half-duplex modes. 100baseTX Set 100Mbps (fast Ethernet) operation. The mediaopt option can also be used to select either full-duplex or half-duplex modes. 1000baseSX Set 1000Mbps (gigabit Ethernet over multimode fiber) operation. Only full full-duplex mode is supported at this speed. 1000baseT Set 1000Mbps (gigabit Ethernet over twisted pair) operation. Only full full-duplex mode is supported at this speed. The ti driver supports the following media options: full-duplex Force full duplex operation. half-duplex Force half duplex operation. The Alteon Tigon and Tigon II support IPv4/TCP/UDP checksumming in hardware. The ti supports this feature of the chip's firmware. See ifconfig(8) for information on how to enable this feature. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). DIAGNOSTICS
ti%d: can't map memory space A fatal initialization error has occurred. ti%d: couldn't map / establish interrupt A fatal initialization error has occurred. ti%d: jumbo buffer allocation failed The driver failed to allocate memory for jumbo frames during initialization. ti%d: bios thinks we're in a 64 bit slot, but we aren't The BIOS has programmed the NIC as though it had been installed in a 64-bit PCI slot, but in fact the NIC is in a 32-bit slot. This happens as a result of a bug in some BIOSes. This can be worked around on the Tigon II, but on the Tigon I initialization will fail. ti%d: board self-diagnostics failed! The ROMFAIL bit in the CPU state register was set after system startup, indicating that the on-board NIC diagnostics failed. ti%d: unknown hwrev The driver detected a board with an unsupported hardware revision. The ti driver supports revision 4 (Tigon 1) and revision 6 (Tigon 2) chips and has firmware only for those devices. ti%d: watchdog timeout The device has stopped responding to the network, or there is a problem with the network connection (cable). SEE ALSO
netintro(4), pci(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The ti device driver first appeared in NetBSD 1.4.2. AUTHORS
The ti driver was written by Bill Paul <wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu>. BUGS
The driver currently tries to access some on-board memory transparently. This mapping (BUS_SPACE_MAP_LINEAR) fails on systems where the cor- responding PCI memory range is located in "sparse" space only. This driver currently does not work on big-endian systems. BSD
June 2, 2001 BSD