Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep - match files containing minimum number of pattern matches Post 302589857 by itkamaraj on Thursday 12th of January 2012 11:12:23 PM
Old 01-13-2012
Code:

grep -m 3 -l " said:" *

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use pattern match with grep

hi, i'm having problem like this. i wish to grep some keyword from certain files in one directory. let's say i have a lot of files in my directory with the name of file.1 file.2 file.3 ...... file.500 i only wish to grep the keyword from file.20, file.21, file.23 .... file.50 i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rei
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting N lines match number X of a pattern

Hi All, as the title says I need to extract N lines after match number X of a pattern. e.g. 111 xxx xxx 111 yyy yyy 111 www www 111 zzz zzz I would like to extract the two lines after the second 111 occurrence. I tried with grep but I didn't find any options to do that. Any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep returns partial matches, I need to get an exact match or nothing

I’m trying to modify someone perl script to fix a bug. The piece of code checks that the zone name you want to add is unique. However, when the code runs, it finds a partial match using grep, and decides it already exists, so the “create” command exits. $cstatus = `${ZADM} list -vic | grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern to match decimal number and interger

Hi, i've a code if (($A && ((!($A =~ /^\d+$/))))) { -- -- not a number } else { --- its number. } which matches for integer value, i need to modify that pattern where it matches decimal number with 2 decimal points and also integer value. for eg: values 10, 10.00. 0.1, 1 , 3 must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting lates pattern match from multiple matches in log

Hi, I have a large, multiline log file. I have used pcregrep to extract all entries in that log that match a particular pattern - where that pattern spans multiple lines. However, because the log file is large, and these entries occur every few minutes, I still output a very large amount... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrb2
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding log files that match number pattern

I have logs files which are generated each day depending on how many processes are running. Some days it could spin up 30 processes. Other days it could spin up 50. The log files all have the same pattern with the number being the different factor. e.g. LOG_FILE_1.log LOG_FILE_2.log etc etc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atelford
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match using grep between two files

Hello Everyone , I have two files. I want to pick line from file-1 and match with the complete data in file-2 , if there is a match print all the match lines in file 3. Below is the file cat test1.txt vikas vikasjain j ain testt douknow hello@vik@ # 33 ||@@ vcpzxcmvhvdsh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mailvkjain
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of pattern matches per line for all files in directory

I have a directory of files, each with a variable (though small) number of lines. I would like to go through each line in each file, and print the: -file name -line number -number of matches to the pattern /comp/ for each line. Two example files: cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of matches and matched pattern(s) in awk

input: !@#$%2QW5QWERTAB$%^&* The string above is not separated (or FS=""). For clarity sake one could re-write the string by including a "|" as FS as follow: !|@|#|$|%|2QW|5QWERT|A|B|$|%|^|&|* Here, I am only interested in patterns (their numbers are variable between records) containing... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each pattern match

Hi I need to egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each matched pattern. -m10 option is not working out in my sun solaris 5.10 Please guide me the options to achieve. if i do head -10 , i wont be getting all pattern match results as output since for a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
10 Replies
fgrep(1)							   User Commands							  fgrep(1)

NAME
fgrep - search a file for a fixed-character string SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f pattern-file] [pattern] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f pattern-file] [pattern] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fgrep (fast grep) utility searches files for a character string and prints all lines that contain that string. fgrep is different from grep(1) and from egrep(1) because it searches for a string, instead of searching for a pattern that matches an expression. fgrep uses a fast and compact algorithm. The characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and are interpreted literally by fgrep, that is, fgrep does not recognize full regular expressions as does egrep. These characters have special meaning to the shell. Therefore, to be safe, enclose the entire string within single quotes ('). If no files are specified, fgrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line that is found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line that is found if there is more than one input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Precedes each line by the block number on which the line was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by con- text. The first block is 0. -c Prints only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Searches for a string in pattern-list. This is useful when the string begins with a -. -f pattern-file Takes the list of patterns from pattern-file. -h Suppresses printing of files when searching multiple files. -i Ignores upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Prints the names of files with matching lines once, separated by new-lines. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precedes each line by its line number in the file. The first line is 1. -s Works silently, that is, displays nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Prints all lines except those that contain the pattern. -x Prints only lines that are matched entirely. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Specifies a path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. /usr/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -e pattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fgrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fgrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found 1 If no matches are found 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files, even if matches were found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally, there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F. SunOS 5.10 4 Oct 2002 fgrep(1)