Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Replacing a string in a long list of files Post 302589007 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 12:25:28 PM
Old 01-10-2012
How does your input file look like ? please provide a sample.
Please also specify how look your server names or where they appear in your full_path/filename so we may then try to provide you an answer as accurate as possible.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long when mv files?

hello all i need some help because i am a unix/linux dummy...i have the following: DIR1> has 121437 files in it with varying dates going back to early April, a sub dir DIR1/DIR2> has 55835 files in it I need to move all files (T*.*) out of DIR1 into DIR2 that are older than today? Ive been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamos007
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long when trying to tar files

Hi, I am trying to perform this task: tar -cvf tar.newfile ??????.bas I got error "arg list too long". Is ther any way around? I have about 1500 file need to be tar together. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds3
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a string in all files in a dir

Hello guys, I need help in globally replacing a string 'string1' with 'string2' in several files in a directory. In fact, also in all directories under it. Can anyone help me... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string in files

Hi, I Have 10 files ,I need replace $INPUT_LOCATION with $INPUT_LOCATION_upd .using sed command do it single file .How can change all files in single shot instead of doing individual file sed -s'/old/new/g' file1 Thanks, Mohan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm long list of files in a directory

Hi, I have used a command rm *.txt in a directory which has about 2000 txt files. but it is throwing the following error: error: args list too long. any ideas pls.. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string in multiple files

Hi, I need to replace the string 'abcd' with 'xyz' in a file sample.xml This sample.xml is also present in the subdirectories of the current directory. Eg, If I am in /user/home/ the sample.xml if present in /user/home/ /user/home/folder1/ /user/home/folder2/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulanandsp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing or removing a long list of pattern by using awk or sed

Input: >abc|123456|def|EXIT| >abc|203456|def|EXIT2| >abc|234056|def|EXIT3| >abc|340056|def|EXIT4| >abc|456000|def|EXIT5| . . . Output: def|EXIT| def|EXIT2| def|EXIT3| def|EXIT4| def|EXIT5| . . My try code: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TAR Files Argument list too long error

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to TAR more than 50K files. Even though I can do TAR successfully on few 100s of files, but whenever Im trying to TAR the entire 50K files, I am getting the error message : Argument List Too Long. Please suggest how can i avoid this error. Im... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
2 Replies

9. Solaris

calculate sum size of files by date (arg list too long)

Hi, I wanted a script to find sum of files for a particular date, below is my script ls -lrt *.req | nawk '$6 == "Aug"' | nawk '$7 == "1"'| awk '{sum = sum + $5} END {print sum}' However, i get the error below /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long How do i fix that. Many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories

I am very new to BASH and I am having difficulties moving a long list of image files into similarly named directories. I've been trying to come with a script all night and no luck. Here is what my list of files looks like: DSC_0059_01.jpg DSC_0059_02.jpg DSC_0059_03.jpg DSC_0059_04.jpg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowens1138
5 Replies
lreplace(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       lreplace(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lreplace - Replace elements in a list with new elements SYNOPSIS
lreplace list first last ?element element ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
lreplace returns a new list formed by replacing one or more elements of list with the element arguments. first and last are index values | specifying the first and last elements of the range to replace. The index values first and last are interpreted the same as index values | for the command string index, supporting simple index arithmetic and indices relative to the end of the list. 0 refers to the first ele- | ment of the list, and end refers to the last element of the list. If list is empty, then first and last are ignored. If first is less than zero, it is considered to refer to before the first element of the list. For non-empty lists, the element indicated by first must exist or first must indicate before the start of the list. If last is less than first, then any specified elements will be inserted into the list at the point specified by first with no elements being deleted. The element arguments specify zero or more new arguments to be added to the list in place of those that were deleted. Each element argu- ment will become a separate element of the list. If no element arguments are specified, then the elements between first and last are sim- ply deleted. If list is empty, any element arguments are added to the end of the list. EXAMPLES
Replacing an element of a list with another: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 1 foo a foo c d e Replacing two elements of a list with three: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 2 three more elements a three more elements d e Deleting the last element from a list in a variable: % set var {a b c d e} a b c d e % set var [lreplace $var end end] a b c d A procedure to delete a given element from a list: proc lremove {listVariable value} { upvar 1 $listVariable var set idx [lsearch -exact $var $value] set var [lreplace $var $idx $idx] } SEE ALSO
list(n), lappend(n), lindex(n), linsert(n), llength(n), lsearch(n), lset(n), lrange(n), lsort(n), string(n) | KEYWORDS
element, list, replace Tcl 7.4 lreplace(n)