Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find string from file1 in file2 Post 302585020 by clx on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 05:15:00 AM
Old 12-27-2011
If you need descriptive text:
Code:
while read record
do
 grep -q "$record" file2 2>/dev/null
 [ $? -eq 0 ] && echo "found $record"
done < file1

Or if you just need the data
Code:
grep -f file1 file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find numbers from File1 within File2

Hi all, Please your help with this. I have 2 files, File_1-->contains a column of N numbers File_2-->contains many lines with other info and numbers from File_1 within it. I would like to get from File_2 all the lines containing within the same line each of N numbers from File_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, replace string in file1 with string from (lookup table) file2?

Hello: I have another question. Please consider the following two sample, tab-delimited files: File_1: Abf1 YKL112w Abf1 YAL054c Abf1 YGL234w Ace2 YKL150w Ace2 YNL328c Cup9 YDR441c Cup9 YDR442w Cup9 YEL040w ... File 2: ... ABF1 YKL112W ACE2 YLR131C (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstuart
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Field from file1 and find and replace in file2

Hi All, I have file1 line below: $myName$|xxx Now I need to read the file1 and find for $myName$ in file2 and replace with xxx file1: $myName$|xxx file2: My name is $myName$ expected output in file2 after executing the script is below: my name is xxx Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdevadas
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve a number or string from file1 and redirect into file2 in perl script?

hello forum members, I am siva ,As i am new to perl scripting i looking help from forum members. i need a sample program are command for pattern matching. I have file name infile1 which some data, I need to search the particular number are string in the file which repeats n number of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on column in file1, find match in file2 and print matching lines

file1: file2: I need to find matches for any lines in file1 that appear in file2. Desired output is '>' plus the file1 term, followed by the line after the match in file2 (so the title is a little misleading): This is honestly beyond what I can do without spending the whole night on it, so I'm... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match part of string in file2 based on column in file1

I have a file containing texts and indexes. I need the text between (and including ) INDEX and number "1" alone in line. I have managed this: awk '/INDEX/,/1$/{if (!/1$/)print}' file1.txt It works for all indexes. And then I have second file with years and indexes per year, one per line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoebus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and find records of file1 not in file2

hi.. i am using solaris system and ksh and using nawk to get records of file1 not in file2(not line by line comparison). code i am using is nawk 'NR==FNR{a++} !a {print"line:" FNR"->" $0} ' file2 file1 same command with awk runs perfectly on darwin kernel(mac) but in solaris it does line by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare file1 and file2, print matching lines in same order as file1

I want to print only the lines in file2 that match file1, in the same order as they appear in file 1 file1 file2 desired output: I'm getting the lines to match awk 'FNR==NR {a++}; FNR!=NR && a' file1 file2 but they are in sorted order, which is not what I want: Can anyone... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or any other means to find IP (File1 / MAC (File2)) entries and putting them on File3

Hi everyone, I would like to complete the following could you please find some time and help me to achieve below: File 1 has a list of IP address (more than 1k) File1:1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 1.1.1.2 3.3.3.3 2.3.3.2File 2 has content like this:Internet 11.165.91.244 0 Incomplete ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redred
4 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)