Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) fetchmail and postfix mail setup on Snow Leopard - request for guidance Post 302584922 by butterbaerchen on Monday 26th of December 2011 04:32:17 PM
Old 12-26-2011
I am learning to use RMAIL, reading the postfix.users mailinglist newsgroup in gnus and a book on postfix. Thunderbird is still in place but I am downloading with fetchmail.
Whats left to do:
get postfix to verify the servercertificate when sending mail (so TLS connection is trusted).
sort out local delivery so mail to root and system mail gets forwarded to user (domain gets appended for one thing when writing to root).
the rest is personal preferences on which mbox/rmail files for what mail.
and then I will write it all down so that I would understand it. Smilie

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

MacPorts on Snow Leopard

Hello everyone. I was previously using MacPorts 1.8 on Mac OS 10.5.8 without any problems and everything was working well. I recently upgraded to Xcode 3.2 and Mac OS 10.6, since then my MacPorts installation has not been working at all. I deleted it and then reinstalled the .dmg from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HoldenCaulfield
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Alpine 2 on Snow Leopard

I've just installed Alpine on Snow Leopard but can't seem to get a default spell checker configured for it. What happened to spell? I can't find it at all on 10.6, must have been some changes. Does anyone know about the default unix spell checker on SL? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: platz
0 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Installing Oracle 10g on Snow Leopard using this tutorial

This tutorial. Which is a lovely tutorial, really, and was working up until this instruction: Now download db.zip installation archive and place it somewhere and unzip it: mkdir Install cd Install # download db.zip to this directory unzip db.zip cd db/Disk1 I didn't know how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khayraB
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Problem with mail attachment in Snow Leopard

Hi, We have few scripts that are run through jobs . It sends us daily reports (using mailx). This was working fine in Leopard. But in Snow Leopard there is problem with the attachments.Neither the attachment name is being displayed correctly(all it displays is "Mail Attachment") nor the format... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adash
1 Replies
BINMAIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							BINMAIL(1)

NAME
binmail - send or receive mail among users SYNOPSIS
/bin/mail [ + ] [ -i ] [ person ] ... /bin/mail [ + ] [ -i ] -f file DESCRIPTION
Note: This is the old version 7 UNIX system mail program. The default mail command is described in Mail(1), and its binary is in the directory /usr/ucb. mail with no argument prints a user's mail, message-by-message, in last-in, first-out order; the optional argument + displays the mail mes- sages in first-in, first-out order. For each message, it reads a line from the standard input to direct disposition of the message. newline Go on to next message. d Delete message and go on to the next. p Print message again. - Go back to previous message. s [ file ] ... Save the message in the named files (`mbox' default). w [ file ] ... Save the message, without a header, in the named files (`mbox' default). m [ person ] ... Mail the message to the named persons (yourself is default). EOT (control-D) Put unexamined mail back in the mailbox and stop. q Same as EOT. !command Escape to the Shell to do command. * Print a command summary. An interrupt normally terminates the mail command; the mail file is unchanged. The optional argument -i tells mail to continue after interrupts. When persons are named, mail takes the standard input up to an end-of-file (or a line with just `.') and adds it to each person's `mail' file. The message is preceded by the sender's name and a postmark. Lines that look like postmarks are prepended with `>'. A person is usually a user name recognized by login(1). To denote a recipient on a remote system, prefix person by the system name and exclamation mark (see uucp(1C)). The -f option causes the named file, for example, `mbox', to be printed as if it were the mail file. When a user logs in he is informed of the presence of mail. FILES
/etc/passwd to identify sender and locate persons /usr/spool/mail/* incoming mail for user * mbox saved mail /tmp/ma* temp file /usr/spool/mail/*.lock lock for mail directory dead.letter unmailable text SEE ALSO
Mail(1), write(1), uucp(1C), uux(1C), xsend(1), sendmail(8) BUGS
Race conditions sometimes result in a failure to remove a lock file. Normally anybody can read your mail, unless it is sent by xsend(1). An installation can overcome this by making mail a set-user-id command that owns the mail directory. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 BINMAIL(1)