Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Signalsafe data structures
Top Forums Programming Signalsafe data structures Post 302584106 by littlegnome on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 07:25:06 AM
Old 12-22-2011
Locking the list is not an option.

If the list is locked and another signal comes in while the list is locked, the 2nd signal handler will go into a deadlock, because the 1st signal handler waits till the 2nd one finishes, hence the list is never freed.

So writing my caught signal info into a pipe works? How much data can a pipe hold? And how do I know how much I have to read from the pipe when n signal handlers wrote something into it?

/edit:
I just realized that write() doesn't work either, because it can be interrupted before writing something, in which case it throws an error.

Last edited by littlegnome; 12-22-2011 at 08:40 AM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Recommendations For Generic C Data Structures & Algorithms

Hi All, Rather than re-invent the wheel, I am trying to find a mature C library that provides generic support for lists, trees, etc. I understand C doesn't formally support "generics", but am aware of a few solutions like GLib and SGLib. Can anyone kindly recommend what they think is best?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tristan12
1 Replies

2. Programming

shared memory - userdefined data structures

Hello, I wonder if I can write my userdefined data structures(ex: a list) to a shared memory segment? I know, the shm functions get (void*) parameter so I should be able to read and write a list into the shared memory. may someone inform and clarify me about that, please? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyzt
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Data Structures

Here is what i need to do. @data #has all column wise data so say info for col 1 location for all rows would be in this array $array = \@data But i need to create a file which should contain these information in a format for all columns even if i have got no values from some of the index... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
pipe(fildes) int fildes[2]; DESCRIPTION
The pipe system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe. The file descriptors returned can be used in read and write operations. When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1] up to 4096 bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended. A read using the descriptor fildes[0] will pick up the data. Writes with a count of 4096 bytes or less are atomic; no other process can inter- sperse data. It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent fork calls) will pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The Shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes. Read calls on an empty pipe (no buffered data) with only one end (all write file descriptors closed) returns an end-of-file. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2) DIAGNOSTICS
The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if too many files are already open. A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted. BUGS
Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock will occur. ASSEMBLER
(pipe = 42.) sys pipe (read file descriptor in r0) (write file descriptor in r1) PIPE(2)