Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris metadetach error on /var filesystem Post 302581345 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 02:41:23 AM
Old 12-13-2011
you can not detach the only submirror from a mirror! what is the goal of your action?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/var filesystem recovery from other machine

Hi Folks, I'm wordering if I can ufsdump the /var fs from a server1 and create a new /var fs in Server2, that is because some damage happened in the /var fs and we don't have backup of it, I've tried fsck and no sucess at all.. Any ideia how I can recovery that /var fs ? Thanks, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramosbrazil
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diff command filling /var filesystem space

Hi, I am using diff command to check difference between two files.Both files are very big and when i execute this command /var temp space is filled up almost 99%. Can any one please tell me is there any way i can specify directory name which has more space so that diff can use that dir for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

4. Solaris

Cant Metadetach

Hi, all i want to metadetach but get the below error # metadetach d6 d62 metadetach: CNORACLE2: d6: resync in progress d6: Mirror Submirror 0: d61 State: Okay Submirror 1: d62 State: Resyncing Resync in progress: 6 % done Pass: 1 Read option:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

5. AIX

/var filesystem is full

Hi, Is there a way to clear the temp files from /var/tmp? Is root access required to delete the files? Thanks, Narayan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reduce /var filesystem

hi guys I need to create a temporary Filesystem and the only way to do it is to reduce /var and create a new filesystem 3GB size df -h .... ... /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-var 9.7G 1.5G 7.8G 16% /var my question is according to google search I need to umount the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Have mounted a filesystem in /var and now cannot log in

hi, i might not be posting my question in the right place because i don't know where to post questions my question is like this i created a partition named 'var' in the SOLARIS os .,and then i knowingly mounted it on /var ..now after doing this am not able to login to my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh , how to set var value into new var, in short string concatenation

i try to find way to make string concatenation in csh ( sorry this is what i have ) so i found out i can't do : set string_buff = "" foreach line("`cat $source_dir/$f`") $string_buff = string_buff $line end how can i do string concatenation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to increase the /var (UFS) filesystem and root disk under veritas control?

I need to increase the /var (UFS) filesystem and root disk under veritas control or root disk is encapsulated # df -k /var Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/vx/dsk/var 13241195 12475897 674524 96% /var # fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/var ufs # pkginfo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amity
1 Replies
metareplace(1M) 					  System Administration Commands					   metareplace(1M)

NAME
metareplace - enable or replace components of submirrors or RAID5 metadevices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metareplace -h /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e mirror component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] mirror component-old component-new /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e RAID component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] [-f] RAID component-old component-new DESCRIPTION
The metareplace command is used to enable or replace components (slices) within a submirror or a RAID5 metadevice. When you replace a component, the metareplace command automatically starts resyncing the new component with the rest of the metadevice. When the resync completes, the replaced component becomes readable and writable. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replacements. Note that the new component must be large enough to replace the old component. A component may be in one of several states. The Last Erred and the Maintenance states require action. Always replace components in the Maintenance state first, followed by a resync and validation of data. After components requiring maintenance are fixed, validated, and resynced, components in the Last Erred state should be replaced. To avoid data loss, it is always best to back up all data before replacing Last Erred devices. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options except -h. -e Transitions the state of component to the available state and resyncs the failed component. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replace- ments. This command is useful when a component fails due to human error (for example, accidentally turning off a disk), or because the component was physically replaced. In this case, the replacement component must be partitioned to match the disk being replaced before running the metareplace command. -f Forces the replacement of an errored component of a metadevice in which multiple components are in error. The component determined by the metastat display to be in the ``Maintenance'' state must be replaced first. This option may cause data to be fabricated since multiple components are in error. -h Display help message. -s setname Specifies the name of the diskset on which metareplace will work. Using the -s option will cause the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command will perform its function on local metadevices. mirror The metadevice name of the mirror. component The logical name for the physical slice (partition) on a disk drive, such as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2. component-old The physical slice that is being replaced. component-new The physical slice that is replacing component-old. RAID The metadevice name of the RAID5 device. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Recovering from Error Condition in RAID5 Metadevice This example shows how to recover when a single component in a RAID5 metadevice is errored. # metareplace d10 c3t0d0s2 c5t0d0s2 In this example, a RAID5 metadevice d10 has an errored component, c3t0d0s2, replaced by a new component, c5t0d0s2. Example 2 Use of -e After Physical Disk Replacement This example shows the use of the -e option after a physical disk in a submirror (a submirror of mirror mymirror1, in this case) has been replaced. # metareplace -e mymirror1 c1t4d0s2 Note: The replacement disk must be partitioned to match the disk it is replacing before running the metareplace command. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) SunOS 5.11 26 Mar 2006 metareplace(1M)