Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How much bash to learn compared with Perl? Post 302581302 by Corona688 on Monday 12th of December 2011 05:34:47 PM
Old 12-12-2011
Perl is very powerful because of its regular expressions, and because it has so many add-on modules available.

But Bourne shells can do things simply which Perl would make quite complex, especially when you're using external programs. I've seen many perl scripts which were just line after line after line of system() and backticks, hardly perl scripts at all -- a barely-there crust of perl holding together pure shell code. Instead of using one shell, they use dozens of shells. If you learn to program in shell, you'll at least understand why this is a bad idea.

More to the point, perl isn't a shell. You can't login to perl. If you want to administer UNIX, you have to learn how to use a shell, and it might as well be some variety of bourne; too many things use it to avoid it, like cron, at, many system init and system configuration scripts, and your own logins.

Last edited by Corona688; 12-12-2011 at 06:53 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Where can I learn Perl?

Can someone please post a link to site that teaches perl? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DISTURBED
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Where do I start to learn PERL?

Hello, What is the best way to start learning PERL? Are there any "learn-it-yourself" websites? Beginner books? etc... Thanks, Barbara (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to learn Perl

Can anyone suggest homepage related to perl programming? Thank you. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcfoo
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking to learn perl

What do you suggest for someone that doesn't have any programming experience and want to learn perl? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any book to learn perl scripting

Hi, Please suggest me any good book to learn pearl scripting. Thanks in advance !!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkvishwakarma6
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To learn PERL

Hi, Would like to learn PERL, can anyone let me know what are the useful sources... any links... good books for the beginners to start and practice? Many thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I learn bash scripting or is it going obsolete?

Hi folks, I'm a CS students enrolled in a sysadmin class where we've been covering bash scripting for the past few weeks. I have prior knowledge in java, c++, c#, python,and some scripting languages like asp.net w/c# and php. This bash stuff seems pretty neat and a bit different than what I am... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KalEl
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating uppercase/lowercase of user input with perl compared to unix folders

Hi, I need to copy files from a source directory to a destination directory in unix. I'm using the file::copy for the actual copy. The problem is that the source and dest directories are supplied by different users, who might type the name of the directories in various combinations of lower... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Furou
6 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Book to learn Perl

Hi guys, which book are you raccomand to start learn Perl from the ground ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learn bash shell scripting

I do not know shell scripting. But at work place, I have got an in and out shell scripting task. I just need to understand a very big script. Is there any tool in which I can place the script and it can tell me the meaning of the whole script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
3 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)