Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How to limit patchadd command to root user only? Post 302580847 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 10th of December 2011 07:30:56 AM
Old 12-10-2011
I do not understand. Based on your post, root & postgres could use patchadd.

Are you trying to limit the root user? Don't do that.

Better yet what are you trying to do, exactly. I'm confused.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 12-10-2011 at 08:40 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit Unix command to user

Is it possible to limit a user account to only several commands. For security reasons, i would like for some users given accounts to only execute commands limited to them. If possible, how can it be done? tyvm. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolphilboy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

login into root from user and execute command through script

i have logged in as user. I want to write a script to login into root and execute commands for eg. ifconfig or other command. kindly help me out. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
6 Replies

3. Solaris

patchadd command

# patchadd /Desktop/117837-08.jar Validating patches... Loading patches installed on the system... Done! Loading patches requested to install. Done! The following requested patches have packages not installed on the system Package SPROcc from directory SPROcc in patch 117837-08 is... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Allow a user use a specific root command!

Hi, I like to allow an user to permit an root command " /usr/ucb/ps -auxwww", do you know how? Kind regards Mehrdad (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Root command as Normal user

Hi, We need to execute a root commmand to change the expiry period of a user but we are getting error as permission denied Q How can we execute a root command by a normal user ? :mad: any thing or suggestion will be good .... :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek1979
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a command as root from normal user

Hi , I am trying to stop and start a process using the below code. I have sudo access on my machine ## PID = process id echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S kill -9 <PID> echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S /opt/abc/startserver /opt/abc/startserver: error while loading shared libraries: librts.so: cannot open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Limit root user of SSH logins

Hi team, I tried to modify the /etc/security/limits.conf file to limit the root user for more one login. I added the line in limits.conf file like: @root hard maxlogins 1 I also tried to modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config to limit the root userlogin by adding this: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a command with root user

i m logged in with user1 id. i wish to execute the below as root user for which i tried several commands but all of them fail. sudo 'cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger' Password: sudo: cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger: command not found sudo cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger bash:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running a command as another non-root user

Hi, I am trying to run a command within my KSH script as another user due to permission issues, now both users are non root. I have tried the following command and was unsuccessful: echo "<password>" | sudo -S -u <username> -k command Can I use sudo to run a command as a non-root user? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
5 Replies
pam_console_appy(8)					   System Administrator's Manual				       pam_console_appy(8)

NAME
pam_console_apply - set or revoke permissions for users at the system console SYNOPSIS
pam_console_apply [-r] DESCRIPTION
pam_console_apply sets or resets permissions on devices in the same manner as pam_console. If /var/run/console.lock exists, pam_console_apply will grant permissions to the user listed therein. If the lock file does not exist, permissions are reset to those listed in /etc/security/console.perms, which should be configured to set permissions on devices so that root owns them. ARGUMENTS
-r Signals pam_console_apply to reset permissions. The default is to set permissions so that the user listed in /var/run/console.lock has access to the devices, and to reset permissions if no such file exists. FILES
/var/run/console.lock /etc/security/console.perms SEE ALSO
pam_console(8) console.perms(5) BUGS
Let's hope not, but if you find any, please report them via the "Bug Track" link at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ AUTHOR
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>, using code shamelessly stolen from parts of pam_console. Red Hat 2001/3/6 pam_console_appy(8)