Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C: error in wait system call
Top Forums Programming C: error in wait system call Post 302580662 by CarloM on Friday 9th of December 2011 07:08:57 AM
Old 12-09-2011
Code:
int main(){
    int *stato;
        terminato=wait(*stato);
        if ((terminato=wait(*stato))==-1){

wait takes int *, you're passing int.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

wait system call

hi there, i had some trivial questions about this program here. i am kinda confused with these, hope you can help me to understand here. :) #include<stdio.h> #include<sys/wait.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<unistd.h> int main(void) { int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

3. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

6. Programming

C:system call

Hi I'm studing the system call. I've written a small program that return the time spent in doing some operations. Now I'd like to write one that return the time spent in user mode of a process. I'm reading that i should use the tms struct: clock_t times(struct tms *buf); struct tms {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Capture system call error message.

Hi, I googled a bit, but could not find the answer to my problem. But I am sure it is a common issue. I have this code: #!/bin/perl -w #-d use strict; sub remsh_test() { my $host = $_; printf "\n----\n\n"; printf "remsh to $host with system call\n"; my $result = system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
3 Replies

8. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Trying to figure out a load issue with a webserver. I have traced a php script and noticed the following connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306), sin_addr=inet_addr("XX.XX.XX.XX")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress) <0.000035> poll(, 1, 2000) = 1 () <0.000120>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan007
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Call a UNIX script inside another and dont wait for it

Hi I have two scripts script1.sh and script2.sh(say this script is a long running). I want to call script2.sh inside and script1.sh,but when i call script2.sh i dont want to wait for script2 to complete and want this to run in back ground and go on next commands in script 1.sh and finally at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies
WAIT(2) 							System Calls Manual							   WAIT(2)

NAME
wait - wait for process to terminate SYNOPSIS
wait(status) int *status; wait(0) DESCRIPTION
Wait causes its caller to delay until a signal is received or one of its child processes terminates. If any child has died since the last wait, return is immediate; if there are no children, return is immediate with the error bit set (resp. with a value of -1 returned). The normal return yields the process ID of the terminated child. In the case of several children several wait calls are needed to learn of all the deaths. If (int)status is nonzero, the high byte of the word pointed to receives the low byte of the argument of exit when the child terminated. The low byte receives the termination status of the process. See signal(2) for a list of termination statuses (signals); 0 status indi- cates normal termination. A special status (0177) is returned for a stopped process which has not terminated and can be restarted. See ptrace(2). If the 0200 bit of the termination status is set, a core image of the process was produced by the system. If the parent process terminates without waiting on its children, the initialization process (process ID = 1) inherits the children. SEE ALSO
exit(2), fork(2), signal(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Returns -1 if there are no children not previously waited for. ASSEMBLER
(wait = 7.) sys wait (process ID in r0) (status in r1) The high byte of the status is the low byte of r0 in the child at termination. WAIT(2)