Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash logging al $() command lines Post 302580487 by DGPickett on Thursday 8th of December 2011 04:48:52 PM
Old 12-08-2011
Code:
$ echo $-
himBH
$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.00.15(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
$ set -o
allexport       off
braceexpand     on
emacs           off
errexit         off
errtrace        off
functrace       off
hashall         on
histexpand      on
history         on
ignoreeof       off
interactive-comments    on
keyword         off
monitor         on
noclobber       off
noexec          off
noglob          off
nolog           off
notify          off
nounset         off
onecmd          off
physical        off
pipefail        off
posix           off
privileged      off
verbose         off
vi              on
xtrace          off
$

Last edited by DGPickett; 12-09-2011 at 09:46 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH and command logging

Hi all... I've completed the task of deploying SSH over my 400 servers. I don't know if i'm right or wrong, but ssh doesn't do any command-logging, does it? Is there a app i can use to log all commands passed ( besides the usual .sh_history), whith no modification possible by the user, and how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is command for logging?

Hi, I am trying to recollect the command used to log a file. We use this command just before starting, say, installation. At the end you get a file capturing the series of commands you used during the course of time and sytems response. Could anybody please help. Thanks, Dasa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtamminx
3 Replies

3. Solaris

shell command logging

Does anyone have a simple method of logging all shell commands typed by a user (csh in our case)? - I could enable auditing, but this would be overkill - I could enable process accounting, but AFAIK, this does not log arguments Thanks all. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: minkie
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Full Command Logging?

I am looking for a really good command logging tool to improve the auditing of my servers. I have previously used snoopy but this is currently a bit flaky and causing serious problems for me, it doesn't look like it's been maintained since 2004, it didn't even want to compile until I added -fPIC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: humbletech99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading lines from a file, using bash, "at" command

Hi. I have the script shown below. If I execute it form the command line it seems to work properly, but when I fun it using the unix "at" command "at -m now < ./kill-at-job.sh" It appears to hang. Below is the script, the input file, and the execution as reported in the e-mail from the "at"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash telnet session logging

I'm looking at allowing remote telnet into my server. like any security-minded administrator, I want to log what my users type on the telnet session. I'm using the script command to generate transcripts of the users session. I have /etc/profile set to automatically start the script command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a bash script even after logging out from the current session

HI , I have a simple script that moves files from one folder to another folder, I have already done the open-ssh server settings and the script is working fine and is able to transfer the files from one folder to another but right now I myself execute this script by using my creditianls to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Logging

I searched the forums for command logging and the user "Driver" seemed to provide a script for logging shell commands with related info like date and time. The subject was "logging command invocations -cmdlog" . I would be interested in this script. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: starcraft
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH logging to file, limit lines

BASH Gurus: Anyone know how to append continuous output command appending to a file, but limit that file to no more than 20 lines? The program I have running is simply monitoring my UDP port 53 for incoming packets endlessly. I just need to keep this file from going over 20 lines. Once the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpius2k1
3 Replies
LAUNCHTOOL(1)						      General Commands Manual						     LAUNCHTOOL(1)

NAME
launchtool - run a command supervising its execution. SYNOPSIS
launchtool [options] [command] DESCRIPTION
launchtool is a tool that runs a user-supplied command and can supervise its execution in many ways, such as controlling its environment, blocking signals, logging its output, changing user and group permissions, limiting resource usage, restarting it if it fails, running it continuously and turning it into a daemon. launchtool is fully configurable, both through the commandline and using configuration files. Configuration files can be made executable and start with "#!/usr/bin/launchtool -C", to create daemons using simpler commands. INVOCATION
launchtool executes the command it finds in the commandline, via switches or the configuration file. All non-switch parameters are con- catenated to the command, that will be executed using "/bin/sh -c". launchtool default mode of execution is to run the command normally and return its exit status. All features are disabled by default and activated using commandline options or values in the configuration file. Commandline options override configuration files. launchtool sessions are identified by a tag that is used both to mark the command output in logfiles and to identify running sessions to check if they have already been started or send them a signal without specifying the process PID. OPTIONS
launchtool follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). -?, --help Display a detailed help message with a summary of all options. --usage Display a brief usage message. -k, --kill[=signal] Kill a running launchtool with the specified signal (15 by default) and exit. No signal name parsing is (yet) provided, so the sig- nal must be specified by its number. --check Check if another launchtool is running, then exit. --showcfg Process config files and commandline, show the resulting configuration and exit. -V, --version Print version and exit. -t, --tag=tag, "tag" Tag used to identify the session -C, --config=file Read configuration data from "file". Defaults to /etc/launchtool/<tag>.conf -v, --verbose, "verbose" Enable verbose output. --no-verbose Disable verbose output. --debug, "debug" Enable debug output (includes --verbose output). --no-debug Disable debug output. -c, --command=cmd, "command" Command to execute. --visible-tag=tag, "visible tag" Tag to use for pidfiles and logfiles instead of "launchtool-<tag>". -d, --daemon, "daemon" Fork to background and detach from terminal, becoming a daemon. -n, --no-daemon Don't become a daemon. --pidfile, "pidfile" Create a pidfile (default when --daemon is used). --no-pidfile Don't create a pidfile (default when --daemon is not used). --piddir=dir, "piddir" Directory where pidfiles are stored (default to /var/run). --chroot=dir, "root dir" Chroot to this directory before running the command. --chdir=dir, "start dir" Chdir to this directory before running the command (default to '.' or '/' if --daemon is present). -u, --user=user, "user" User privileges to run the command with. -g, --group=group, "group" Group privileges to run the command with. --umask=mask, "umask" Set this umask before running the command. -L, --infinite-runs, "infinite runs" Never give up restarting the command if it fails. --no-infinite-runs Give up restarting the command after a certain number of failures. --wait-times=t1,t2,... , "wait times" List of times (in seconds) to wait after a program failure before restarting it. If not specified, failed commands will not be restarted. --good-running-time=seconds, "good running time" Minimum running time needed to restart for the first wait time. --forwarded-signals=sig1,sig2,... , "forwarded signals" List of signals (in name or in number) to be forwarded to the command. --blocked-signals=sig1,sig2,... , "blocked signals" List of signals (in name or in number) to be blocked before running the command. --limit-cpu=seconds, "cpu limit" CPU time limit for the command (see setrlimit(2)). --limit-file-size=1024b-blocks, "file size limit" File size limit for the command (see setrlimit(2)). --limit-data-memory=1024b-blocks, "data memory limit" Data memory size limit for the command (see setrlimit(2)). --limit-process-count=count, "process count limit" Process count limit for the command (see setrlimit(2)). --limit-open-files=count, "open files limit" Open files limit for the command (see setrlimit(2)). --limit-core-size=1024b-blocks, "core size limit" Core file size limit for the command (see setrlimit(2)). --restrict-environment, "restrict environment" Restrict the child environment. --no-restrict-environment Copy all environment variables to the child environment. --allowed-env-vars=var1,var2,... , "allowed env vars" List of environment variables to be copied to the child when the environment is restricted. --log-launchtool-output=target, "launchtool output" Target of the launchtool output (ignore, stdout, stderr, file:filename or syslog:identity,facility,level). --log-launchtool-errors=target, "launchtool errors" Target of the launchtool error messages (ignore, stdout, stderr, file:filename or syslog:identity,facility,level). --log-child-output=target, "command output" Target of the child output (ignore, stdout, stderr, file:filename or syslog:identity,facility,level). --log-child-errors=target, "command errors" Target of the child error messages (ignore, stdout, stderr, file:filename or syslog:identity,facility,level). --silent-restart-status=value, "silent restart status" Return value used by the child to explicitly request a restart (feature disabled if not specified). --silent-restart-time=seconds, "silent restart time" Time to wait before restarting the child after an explicit restart request. --stats, "stats" Produce some statistics when the command terminates (implied by --verbose). --no-stats Do not produce statistics when the command terminates. LOGGING TARGETS
Logging targets are specified with a target name and its optional parameters, separated by a colon (":"). Possible target configurations are: ignore Output is just discarded. stdout Output goes to the standard output stream. stderr Output goes to the standard error stream. file:filename Output goes to the file "filename". syslog:identity,facility,level Output goes to syslog, with the given identity (a string identifying the logger), facility (see syslog(3)) and level (see sys- log(3)). CONFIGURATION FILE
The configuration file is a sequence of "key = value" lines. Empty lines and lines starting with '#' are ignored. The possible keys have been listed in the OPTIONS section next to the corresponding commandline switch. Boolean (yes/no) values can take the values "yes", "no", "true", "false", "0" and "1". EXAMPLES
# Running a command normally launchtool -t tag 'echo "Hello, world!"' # Run a command restarting it if it fails: launchtool -t tag --wait-times=1,1,1,3,3,3,10,10,10 'my_wonderful_server' # Run a command, with restrictions, restarting it if it fails, as a daemon launchtool -t myserver -d --user=myserver --chroot=/var/myserver --limit-process-count=5 --limit-open-files=10 --wait-times=1,1,1,3,3,3,10,10,10 --infinite-runs --stats --log-launchtool-output=syslog:myserver,LOG_DAEMON,LOG_INFO --log-launchtool-errors=syslog:myserver,LOG_DAEMON,LOG_ERR --log-child-output=syslog:myserver,LOG_DAEMON,LOG_INFO --log-child-errors=syslog:myserver,LOG_DAEMON,LOG_ERR 'my_experimental_server' # Same thing, using a configuration file tag = myserver command = my_wonderful_server daemon = yes stats = yes user = myserver root dir = /var/myserver process count limit = 5 open files limit = 10 wait times = 1,1,1,3,3,3,10,10,10 infinite runs = yes launchtool output = syslog:myserver,LOG_DAEMON,LOG_INFO launchtool errors = syslog:myserver,LOG_DAEMON,LOG_ERR command output = syslog:myserver,LOG_DAEMON,LOG_INFO command errors = syslog:myserver,LOG_DAEMON,LOG_ERR # Transform a shell command in a polling daemon # Make the file /tmp/have_mobile exist only if my cell phone is present in the # IRDA discovery list launchtool -t celldetect -d --silent-restart-time=5 --silent-restart-status=0 --user=nobody "if grep -q SIEMENS /proc/sys/net/irda/discovery; then touch /tmp/have_mobile; else rm -f /tmp/have_mobile; fi ; exit 0" # Ceck if the celldetect daemon is running launchtool -t celldetect --check # Kill the celldetect daemon launched with the command above launchtool -t celldetect -k # Same polling daemon, with an executable configuration file #!/usr/bin/launchtool -C tag = celldetect command = if grep -q SIEMENS /proc/sys/net/irda/discovery; then touch /tmp/have_mobile; else rm -f /tmp/have_mobile; fi ; exit 0 daemon = yes user = nobody silent restart time = 5 silent restart status = 0 # Ceck if the celldetect daemon is running, using the executable configuration # file celldetect --check # Kill the celldetect daemon using the executable configuration file celldetect -k SEE ALSO
syslog(3), setrlimit(2). AUTHOR
launchtool has been written by Enrico Zini <enrico@debian.org>. october 03, 2002 LAUNCHTOOL(1)