Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris basic questions on ifconfig -a Post 302579121 by dude2cool on Sunday 4th of December 2011 10:40:13 PM
Old 12-04-2011
man ifconfig:

Quote:
index n

Change the interface index for the interface. The value of n must be an interface index (if_index) that is not used on another interface. if_index will be a non-zero positive number that uniquely identifies the network interface on the system.
https://www.unix.com/man-page/OpenSolaris/1m/ifconfig/

Last edited by dude2cool; 12-04-2011 at 11:45 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

Basic networking questions.

Hey, I'm new to Linux. I have a few questions about it. I run Slackware. After the installation the Linux installation had problems with my old hardware (network card, sound card) so I removed them and Linux would start. But now, I can't seem to use the network card in Linux because it's not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RellioN
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix Questions

OK, here's a question from a true UNIX newb: How does one make a 20 line file? I'm lost. :confused: OK, I figured it out. :D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kitchen Zinc
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some basic questions

Hi- Newbie here with some basic questions: 1) I can't get alias to work. I tried alias ll='ls -al', but it doesn't work. When just typing 'alias', the new definition doesn't appear. I'm in a bash shell -- is that the problem. I tried switching to csh, but that didn't seem to help. This... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aworstell
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic security questions

Hey guys, I've seen this posted a few times when i searched but I kinda want to know the cleanest way of doing it. On Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 What is the best way to disable telnet ssh1 and remote root login premanently? I've seen posts that say edit /etc/services edit this edit that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic variable questions

when you see something like this export SOMEDATA=.:/somedir/files what does the ".:" mean? I think the the "." alone would mean current directory but the ":" together is kind of new to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp-ux basic questions

I have multiple questions How to list or find only Nov month's files? How can I get state of process like running, stop, or sleep etc? How can I check dependences of processes? plz ans any if u can thx regards, Mazhar Hussain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar99
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

some basic questions about unix ..

Hi all today i gone through worst interview of my life that for hour questions were so basic but i never though about them now i am figuring out answers my self but i would appreciate if you ppl help me ... i am listing some of the questions i remember .. 1 ) $ cat a.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
4 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris 10 and a few basic questions

hello, first, I'm quite new to solaris. I've installed solaris 10 basic (item 4 on the install-menue). now I had to realize that I don't have any option for connecting the machine from remote. ssh isn't even installed although I've coosed 'yes' for remote access. no matter what solaris is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fourty2
10 Replies
IFCONFIG(1)							   User Commands						       IFCONFIG(1)

NAME
ifconfig - configure network interfaces SYNOPSIS
ifconfig [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
NAME [ADDR] [broadcast BRDADDR] [pointopoint|dstaddr DSTADDR] [netmask MASK] [metric N] [mtu N] [txqueuelen N] [up|down] [FLAGS] Configure network interfaces. -a, --all display all available interfaces -A, --address=ADDR set interface address to ADDR -B, -b, --broadcast=ADDR, --brdaddr=ADDR set broadcast address to ADDR -d, -p, --dstaddr=ADDR, --peer=ADDR set destination (peer) address to ADDR --down shut the interface down --format=FORMAT select output format (or set back to default) -F, --flags=FLAG[,FLAG...] set interface flags -i, --interface=NAME configure network interface NAME -m, --netmask=MASK set netmask to MASK --metric=N set metric of interface to N -M, --mtu=N set mtu of interface to N -s, --short short output format --up activate the interface (default if address is given) -v, --verbose output information when configuring interface Linux-specific options -T, --txqlen=N set transmit queue length to N -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. Known flags are: allmulti, automedia, debug, loopback, multicast, portsel, running, trailers, up AUTHOR
Written by Marcus Brinkmann. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-inetutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for ifconfig is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and ifconfig programs are properly installed at your site, the command info ifconfig should give you access to the complete manual. GNU inetutils 1.9 December 2011 IFCONFIG(1)