Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete duplicate lines... with a twist! Post 302575979 by shamrock on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 10:29:30 AM
Old 11-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowww
Thanks, it worked.

But slight observation: I had some 200 lines in file that would differentiate only by numbers and this code would (incorrectly) count them as duplicate.
Not sure what you mean...can you post a sample of how that input file looks like...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete semi-duplicate lines from file?

Ok here's what I'm trying to do. I need to get a listing of all the mountpoints on a system into a file, which is easy enough, just using something like "mount | awk '{print $1}'" However, on a couple of systems, they have some mount points looking like this: /stage /stand /usr /MFPIS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete duplicate lines and print to file

OK, I have read several things on how to do this, but can't make it work. I am writing this to a vi file then calling it as an awk script. So I need to search a file for duplicate lines, delete duplicate lines, then write the result to another file, say /home/accountant/files/docs/nodup ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bfurlong
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete or remove duplicate lines in a file

Hi please help me how to remove duplicate lines in any file. I have a file having huge number of lines. i want to remove selected lines in it. And also if there exists duplicate lines, I want to delete the rest & just keep one of them. Please help me with any unix commands or even fortran... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines with duplicate strings based on date

Hey all, a relative bash/script newbie trying solve a problem. I've got a text file with lots of lines that I've been able to clean up and format with awk/sed/cut, but now I'd like to remove the lines with duplicate usernames based on time stamp. Here's what the data looks like 2007-11-03... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattv
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete partial duplicate lines unix

hi :) I need to delete partial duplicate lines I have this in a file sihp8027,/opt/cf20,1980182 sihp8027,/opt/oracle/10gRelIIcd,155200016 sihp8027,/opt/oracle/10gRelIIcd,155200176 sihp8027,/var/opt/ERP,10376312 and need to leave it like this: sihp8027,/opt/cf20,1980182... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|KiLLeR|S
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete duplicate rows

Hi, This is a followup to my earlier post him mno klm 20 76 . + . klm_mango unix_00000001; alp fdc klm 123 456 . + . klm_mango unix_0000103; her tkr klm 415 439 . + . klm_mango unix_00001043; abc tvr klm 20 76 . + . klm_mango unix_00000001; abc def klm 83 84 . + . klm_mango... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate values in specific column and delete all the duplicate values

Dear folks I have a map file of around 54K lines and some of the values in the second column have the same value and I want to find them and delete all of the same values. I looked over duplicate commands but my case is not to keep one of the duplicate values. I want to remove all of the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete duplicate like pattern lines

Hi I need to delete duplicate like pattern lines from a text file containing 2 duplicates only (one being subset of the other) using sed or awk preferably. Input: FM:Chicago:Development FM:Chicago:Development:Score SR:Cary:Testing:Testcases PM:Newyork:Scripting PM:Newyork:Scripting:Audit... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
6 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)