Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with untarring multiple files from tarred directories and subdirectories Post 302575460 by rv_trojan on Monday 21st of November 2011 08:50:08 PM
Old 11-21-2011
Hi jim,

Thanks for the response.
What I believe is tar can use wildcard * but you are right it cannot untar file from inside the other compressed tar files.

I came up with solution where the directories Log_files/subject1/project* all are already created and it works with

tar -zxvf Log_flies/subject1.tar.gz Log_files/subject1/project*/*.log

However is there any way wherein the directories are created when I untar it and I dont need to make the directories manually.

Thanks,
rv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sftp multiple files and subdirectories

Hi, I'm new to using the sftp command prompt within the unix shell (usually I just use an FTP windows program). I've successfully connected to a remote server from within ssh. I've also been able to copy multiple files using the mget command e.g. mget *.html How do I copy all files,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbieg
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Remove Ctrl M characters in files from directories and its subdirectories

Hi, How to recursively remove Ctrl M characters in files from a directory and its sub directory ? I know unix2dos command is there but to remove in bunch of files ... ? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skdp
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tarred files not being put on tape

Hi I normally backup to tape using the following command in Solaris 9 on SUN Enterprise 3500 server: tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n data but after a power cut, the server went down without being shutdown since the UPS failed. Now when I issue the tar command I get the root (/) being full looks like it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress files as per timestamp in multiple subdirectories

I'd really appreciate if anyone could assist me with this code A directory with multiple subdirectories has multiple files which are timestamp'ed. We need to - compress files as per timestamp - save compressed file/s in the respective folder - delete the source files ============... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreewin7
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in concatenating multiple files from subdirectories

I want to concatenate multiple files recursively from sub-directories intoone file in Linux. I saved the following script as script.sh in $HOME/testing1 where I have several subdirectories and .txt files into them. I ran script.sh from the command prompt of $HOME/testing1 as ./script.sh. But it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj284
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in concatenating multiple files from subdirectories

I want to concatenate multiple files recursively from sub-directories intoone file in Linux. I saved the following script as script.sh in $HOME/testing1 where I have several subdirectories and .txt files into them. I ran script.sh from the command prompt of $HOME/testing1 as ./script.sh. But it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj284
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

show all text files in directories and subdirectories

Hi! I am trying to find all text files in my home directory that contain the string "C-d" so I tyied this : cd ~ find . -type f -exec grep -l "C-d" {} + but it took very long so I tryed this : ls -aR | xargs file |grep text but it didn't descend in the directories and it said :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelamahim
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip all the files including directories - subdirectories

Hi, Is is possible to zip a folder and all its contents within the folder ( including sub-directories and files) into a zip file? and can regain the same structure if unzipped? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
6 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)