Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Script to select a file from a list Post 302575267 by boaz733 on Monday 21st of November 2011 06:19:00 AM
Old 11-21-2011
Script to select a file from a list

i m trying to write a script that will print all the txt files at /home/ directory
and will allow a selection of a file and then print the file name.

this is what i wrote so far:
Code:
echo "please select the file from the list "
list=$(ls -f *.txt  /home/)
array=( )
for machine in $list
do

at the end the output should be as so:
Code:
home/som# please select the file from the list
1.david.txt
2.vgersh99.txt
3.radoulov.txt
/home/som# 3
radoulov.txt
/home/som#

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk - select from a list

Hi all, I am trying to select some columns from a file, based on the list of values. Would like to know how best I can achive this. If coulmn 1 has a value of 57 then print the ist column (This works) awk -F' ' '{if ( $1 == 57 ) {print $1}}' file.txt Now my requirement is that I have to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: simha77777
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically select records from several files and then run a C executable file inside the script

Dear list its my first post and i would like to greet everyone What i would like to do is select records 7 and 11 from each files in a folder then run an executable inside the script for the selected parameters. The file format is something like this 7 100 200 7 100 250 7 100 300 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gtolis
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

select data from list

Hi! My data file contains a two columns list. It looks like: 1 3.789 2 6.789 3 7.890 4 8.900 5 6.789 6 1.987 7 10.987 8 2.987 9 0.987 I would like to create a new list using the awk command, just selecting data from the second column but also printing the first column. Let say I select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cris48
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a select script through UNIX and sending output to file

Hi, (Oracle, AIX) I have googled this and searched this forum, however I haven't had much luck with an answer and have tried several different things. Basically I have a SQL select statement which generates a whole load of UPDATE statements, I want to run the select statement via... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbchud
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select the latest dated file-ksh script

Hello all!! I am new here and new in scripting! I want to write a ksh script to select the most recent file from a dir and use it in a variable. I have a directory with files named like: YYYMMDD A basic idea of the script I want to write is #!/usr/bin/ksh latest= latest_dated_file at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris_euop
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Select Menu Script

Hi All, I need to develop a bash script list “list of files” and able to select if any and set as globe variable in script and use for other function. I would like to see in menu format. Example out put Below are the listed files for database clone 1. Sys.txt 2. abc.txt 3. Ddd.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashanabey
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process select list of files and output to the same file?

Hi, I've a list of files ac_info.tps, subscription_array.tps, .......and many other files one of the file, bin_range_list.tps has the following content CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE "BIN_RANGE_LIST" AS TABLE OF BIN_RANGE_ELEM; / grant execute on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to select the rows from the feed file based on the input value provided

Hi Folks, I have the below feed file named abc1.txt in which you can see there is a title and below is the respective values in the rows and it is completely pipe delimited file ,. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select only the lines of a file starting with a field which is matcing a list. awk?

Hello I have a large file1 which has many events like "2014010420" and following lines under each event that start with text . It has this form: 2014010420 num --- --- num .... NTE num num --- num... EFA num num --- num ... LASW num num --- num... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list

Hi How can I extract sequences from a fasta file with respect a certain criteria? The beginning of my file (containing in total more than 1000 sequences) looks like this: >H8V34IS02I59VP SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marion MPI
6 Replies
FBAUTOSTART(1)							fbautostart Manual						    FBAUTOSTART(1)

NAME
fbautostart - Autostart all XDG applications SYNOPSIS
fbautostart [options] DESCRIPTION
fbautostart(1) is an XDG complaint startup tool. This will go through the directories set up by the spec, and start all applications that match it's current identifier. You may change that identifier with the FBXDG_DE env var. This tool has almost no library dependencies and was written to be smart about that sort of stuff. There is a greater then average chance that you will find a bug, since it is a from-scratch implementation of the .desktop spec. Pleas report bugs. Please. FILES
~/.config/autostart This folder contains the default user XDG dot-desktop files that will be run ( unless it's overridden by an ENV variable ) /etc/xdg This folder contains the default system XDG dot-desktop files that will be run ( unless it's overridden by an ENV variable ) OPTIONS
Sadly, there are no flags in this particular release. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
XDG_CONFIG_HOME The XDG root directory for the user's startup files, which may override the global startup files. XDG_CONFIG_DIRS The root XDG directory, where global XDG files are maintained. FBXDG_DE Development environment that we should act upon. This defaults to "FLUXBOX", since this is a fluxbox project, after all. Please note this is case sensitive. FBXDG_EXEC This dictates if we should execute the application that we've been told to or not. This is particularly useful for debugging the app. HOME The location of one's home directory, such that ~/ will be expanded to /home/user/ EXAMPLE
fbautostart AUTHORS
Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@ubuntu.com[1]> for fbautostart 2.718281 SEE ALSO
fluxbox(1) AUTHOR
Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@ubuntu.com> Author. NOTES
1. paultag@ubuntu.com mailto:paultag@ubuntu.com fbautostart.txt 7th September 2011 FBAUTOSTART(1)