Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories. Post 302572762 by jayan_jay on Friday 11th of November 2011 02:09:54 AM
Old 11-11-2011
better option would be find
Code:
$ find /your/dir/path -type f -print | xargs grep -i "pattern"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep some text in a directory and as well as in its sub-directories

Hi Friends Little help is required. I want to grep some string in a directory as well as in its sub-directoies. Thanks Joy:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories

Hi Forum. I'm trying to write a script that finds and deletes files that are older than 300 days. The script will read a table that contains the following 3 columns: 1st col: “Y” means sub-directory scan; "N" means no subdirectory scan 2nd col: sub-directory location 3rd col: File prefix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pattern and replace the text before it

i am editing a big log file with the following pattern: Date: xxxx Updated: name Some log file text here Date: eee Updated: ny Some log file text here Basically i want to remove all the text in a line before the "Updated" pattern. I sill want to print the other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan1983a
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep text between multiple pattern

Hello everybody, I have been looking around but can't figure how to do a grep command, that find the text between multiple patterns, example: (pattern1 OR pattern2) AND (pattern3 OR pattern4) text that I want (pattern5 OR pattern6) AND (pattern7 OR pattern8) So how do I find the "text... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benou
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find pattern; grep n lines before and after

Hi, I need help to grep a specific part of a log file (bold). 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056 frosti-1 M3UA-Tx: } 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056 frosti-1 M3UA-Tx: extensionContainer <Not Present> 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasil
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)