Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get Previous date of a past date Post 302569521 by dude2cool on Monday 31st of October 2011 02:36:00 PM
Old 10-31-2011
Please look here:

https://www.unix.com/answers-frequent...rithmetic.html

I think I remember you asking this question before. Here is the exact shell script, maybe this will help. This is a slight modification of one of the solution from the above post. Credit goes to the original author of the code, I just made slight modification.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
pcontromModate="2008-11-31"
YEAR=`echo $pcontromModate|cut -d "-" -f 1`
MONTH=`echo $pcontromModate|cut -d "-" -f 2`
DAY=`echo $pcontromModate|cut -d "-" -f 3`
DAY=`expr "$DAY" - 1`
case "$DAY" in
        0)
           MONTH=`expr "$MONTH" - 1`
                case "$MONTH" in
                        0)
                           MONTH=12
                           YEAR=`expr "$YEAR" - 1`
                        ;;
                esac
        DAY=`cal $MONTH $YEAR | grep . | fmt -1 | tail -1`
esac
echo "Yesterday was: $MONTH-$DAY-$YEAR"

here is the output from the above:

Code:
# /tmp/45.sh
Yesterday was: 11-30-2008

Last edited by dude2cool; 10-31-2011 at 03:47 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specify a previous date as start date in shell script

Hi, I am trying to modify a script which accepts date in format dd/mm/yy. I am trying to modify the script so that it retrieves the date that was 15 days earlier from today as start date. Eg.if today is 05/09/2006, the script should retrieve 21/08/2006 as start date. Is there any script/code to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritzwan0
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get date and time for past 1 hour from current date

Hi, I need to get the date and time for past 1 hour from the current date. Anyone know how to do so? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spch2o
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to get previous date from date command in ksh

I want to get previous date from date command. I am using ksh shell. Exmp: today is 2008.09.04 I want the result : 2008.09.03 Please help. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a date which is 7 days past when given current date

hii all. I have to get the date of the 7th day past from the current date. if i give the current date as sep 3 then i must get the date as 27th of august. can we get the values from the "cal" command. cal | awk '{print $2}' will this type of command work. actually my need is if today is... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladtony
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the previous day date and creating a file with date

Hi guys, I had a scenario... 1. I had to get the previous days date in yyyymmdd format 2. i had to create a file with Date inthe format yyyymmdd.txt format both are different thanks guys in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seven days past date from current date

hi all.. i want 2 know how 2 find 7days past date from current date.. when i used set datetime = `date '+%m%d%y'` i got 060613.. i just want to know hw to get 053013.. i tried using date functions but couldnt get it :( i use c shell and there is no chance that i can change that ..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul619
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date - incorrect results for previous date

Hello: I am bit puzzled with what I could be doing wrong and any help is appreciated. I have a date in YYYMMDD format and I need to find the previous date. Based on the input on this forum, I have come up with the following. It seems to work for all except the following. Here I am passing date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wincrazy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to get previous date for the given input date..

hi all, need a script or command to get the previous date for the given input date... like in my script i will pass date as input parameter like 2014-12-01 and i want the output as previous date.. ie.. 2014-11-30 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to fetch previous month first date and last date

I am not able to fetch first date and last date previous month date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d I need two format dd-mm-yyy previous month 01-03-2016 previous month 31-03-2016 and also only date 1 to 31 Aprriciate your replay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagu
4 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. Column exits 0 on success, >0 if an error occurred. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS The environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the size of the screen if no other information is available. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD